Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Quick question, on the apple site it says the new IPad Air is coming in October? is that a different one to what’s been mentioned earlier on this thread? Also which site do you find the refurbished models on?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Quick question, on the apple site it says the new IPad Air is coming in October? is that a different one to what’s been mentioned earlier on this thread? Also which site do you find the refurbished models on?
No, it's the same one.

It can be pre-ordered now for delivery upon release. Apple were slightly vague with a release date, but there are suggestions they'll be shipping from 30th September.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone - I am getting the same through education pricing and you get the free AirPods. Just done live chat and it appears the AirPods are only available with the pro or 3rd generation iPad which you can only get subject to store availability!

Hmmmmmm
Old 24 Sep 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I looked at the pro's some time ago at the apple store in Aberdeen the sales girl put me off. For what I needed it for it wasn't worth the extra money and she said there wasn't a huge difference between them and the ipad air.

I'm hoping to order a new ipad air, I currently have a 2nd gen but it has a crack on the screen so DH will get this one. The one I want has the wifi plus cellular which is not coming out quite yet. It will be behind the one that is just wifi. So have to hold off even longer. I've been holding off since last October waiting on a new model.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I got the 2020 11" iPad Pro a few months ago - mainly as I wanted to upgrade from my previous 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (which was having the white spot issue - extremely annoying for my use needs this year). Absolutely love it and I spend hours using it every day. And I don't think I could have waited any longer to switch, so no regrets about buying it when I did.

But I watched the Apple keynote last week and I agree with everyone else that the newest iPad Air looks extremely good. If I didn't already have the iPad Pro I would be seriously considering getting the 10.9" iPad Air instead.

The few advantages or at least major differences I think the 2020 11" iPad Pro has compared to the 2020 10.9" iPad Air based on the keynote and what I've read (not comprehensive):

1) Face ID on iPad Pro vs Touch ID on iPad Air. Honestly probably not a huge difference. But having had Touch ID on my previous iPad and Face ID on my current iPad I definitely prefer Face ID for iPads, as a minor quality of life improvement.

2) Screen refresh rate. The iPad Pros refresh at 120 Hz, I believe the iPad Air is 60 Hz but I could be wrong on the numbers. The iPad Pros also have a laminated screen, not sure about the iPad Air. In reality this probably won't mean much though, unless you use the Apple pencil a lot or have use cases where the screen refresh rate makes a big difference.

3) They have different processors, but right now no one is quite sure which is faster until the iPad Airs start shipping and people do benchmark/teardown tests on them. My bet is that the iPad Pro will still be faster, but not sure by how much. To be honest most of the recent iPads have been fast though and even my old 10.5" iPad Pro wasn't slowing down yet!
Old 24 Sep 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
apple/uk/shop/refurbished is the website for the UK Apple refurbished store. "Refurbished and clearance" (or something similar) also shows up on the Apple Store app (usually it's under the "iPad" category, and then a category for "Refurbished and clearance".

The inventory is usually variable with the Apple refurbished stores, and gets refreshed at various intervals. So one day it could have what you are interested in, then that item gets bought up, it goes out of stock, and then shows up again a few days later. A little unpredictable!

I've bought a couple of items from the Apple refurbished store (an iPad mini a few years ago and a Macbook more recently). I did have issues with one dead on arrival Macbook which Apple refunded with no questions asked. Otherwise the other items were fine, new casing with no outward sign of wear, usual Apple warranty, can buy Applecare+ - basically no difference from the items I've bought new from Apple.

I'd happily buy again from the Apple refurbished store - it's just that if you want the latest model they usually aren't in the refurbished store!
Old 24 Sep 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I got a iPad Pro 2020 and really like it I got it from sky mobile I know I am over paying as it 26 pound a month but I don’t mind my data carry’s over if not used
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Positive review from Marques Brownlee:

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Finally ordered the new ipad air last night. DH offered to get me a new ipad last year for my birthday and I wanted to wait until there was a new model. Ordered a blue one. Not coming until November though.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’m waiting on the new Air 256gb in blue. Ordered it last week. Think it’ll be a few weeks yet.