Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

1996/7 flying out boxing day back in January. I'd gone to the TA to book Eurodisney (as it was!) and she told me for the same price I could get a fly drive to Florida.

I was on my own with a 6 and 4 year old so was a bit nervous about the long trip - and driving with my total lack of navigation skills! Stayed at Inns of America which was only a few minutes from the Main Gate (anyone know what that is called now?) Flew with KLM via Schiphol from Glasgow.

Had the best time. Someone advised me to take careful note of where I parked because the car parks were "big". I parked at 7.45am in the Chip n' Dale and noted there were three palm trees beside the car. We toddled off for our Cinderella castle breakfast and spent a whole day in the park. Came back and couldn't find the car! Kids were shattered, I was shattered. I was thinking we should have stayed home. A kind cast member asked what time we arrived and gave us a lift straight to our car!

The kids loved the water parks - favourite was River Country. That trip we got stuck in the Small World ride - we all felt we heard the tune for days after! After New Year, the parks were empty. I remember sitting having a coffee at the bottom of Splash Mountain while the kids continually went on the ride as there were no queues.

The parks seemed so much less commercial then - real fairy tale stuff. And I felt so totally safe the whole time (did get lost a few times on the way back to the hotel. Impossible to get lost going TO Disney!) Wonderful holiday.

Edited at 11:39 PM. Reason: River Country not River Island!
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Remember my first trip to Florida, was Nov 1st 2003. 14nights, my then wife, my ds (3) dd (7) and my parents in law.
Stayed at quality in plaza I drive.
Had tickets for
14 day Disney
14 day universal
SeaWorld
Wet and wild
Busch gardens
Wonderworks
Kennedy space centre
No car, so used taxis from hotel and iride trolley.
When I mention our first time there most vivid memory that comes up every time was father in law ordering the same sirloin tips at ponderosa. Strange what kids remember from a Florida holiday.
Can remember the cost to my family was £1800.
Was alot of money back then to us.
Been 6 more times since

Edited at 10:22 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
TinksandFlynn
Excited about Disney

1991 went on a student exchange trip and stayed a month with an American family. Went to high school, prom and watched the local baseball team. We also had trips to St Augustine, Kennedy space centre and Magic Kingdom. It was a very different experience to our normal trips to Florida and looking back I still can’t believe i did it.
TinksandFlynn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
October 2014 me, the OH and two daughters, flew on the Dream liner, thought we were ever so swish, stayed on site at all star sports we fully immersed ourselves in the Disney bubble only venturing off site once to go to vineland outlet and to walk down from ASS to McDonald's, an amazing holiday we were there October half term so went from halloween to Christmas theming, only other time we've been is April which was still fantastic but much preferred the theming everywhere of October
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Went with my parents aged 13, 1977. Ive posted this pic before so sorry if you’ve already seen it! It was a trip back from Australia and we stayed in the Holiday inn in Miami and had a day trip to Disney!

First time as a family 2004 when dd was 19 months and we stayed in Comfort Suites Kissimmee, it was amazing! I also went on my own in 1986 and stayed with my aunt who lives in Cocoa Beach. This is 2004
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I think mine was 1993. Stayed at Howard Johnson Maingate East and did full days - rope drop to fireworks... I remember it being exhausting (but fun). Did the the 3 main Disney Parks and Discovery Island, Sea World and Universal, Daytona, Kennedy and then drove down to Key West for a few days and back up to Clearwater for Busch Gardens and then up to Ocala. We packed it all in! 😀
I think that we flew continental from mcr via New York .. .. or could it have been virgin?
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
1994 With my parents and little brother. I was an independent adult by then but my mum was feeling guilty she’d never taken me. Stayed at the Polynesian. Not sure we”ll ever be able to afford to stay there. Flew Virgin my parents traveled Business Class and we were due to fly Economy but my mum blagged us an upgrade
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sharon190980
Excited about Disney

1991 and I’d just turned 11
Flew with Monarch (I think) via Bangor
Stayed at Larsons Lodge next door to Watermania and ate buffet breakfast at shoneys every morning!
Visited Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM and Universal Studios
sharon190980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
1992 The Orlando Vacation Resort (which no longer exists). It was out near the orange groves.

It was a Virgin holidays trip, direct flights in & out of Miami with 1st night at MIA & 13 Orlando, with hire car - £399 each.

I went with a friend, we were both student nurses, I saved for it by working on my 2 days off a week

We stayed there too, I often try and place where it was when we drive out that way.
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

1994 stayed at summer field suites on I drive, opposite the mercardo shopping village.
The whole experience blew my mind. I loved it.
Been 6 times, but not since 2011, really hope to go again one day.
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List