Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
To me this has come down to one thing - room brightness.

Bright room - QLED
Darker room - OLED

As I said, we have a very bright room so really, QLED is our only option for brightness and the anti reflective coatings.
In our other room we will be going for OLED as it doenst have the same brightness. Not sure which model as it will be a while before we do that.

But to be honest, when it is in your home, you will never think about it again. If you are focussing on the picture quality, then you aren't enjoying the content. Though I accept there are some for whom picture quality is very important.
See, now you've peaked my interest

Our house here is very dark, due to traditional small windows to stop heat in the summer. In fact we close all the shutters. Do on that basis a TV that says OLED would be better.

What's this 8k thing. We saw this today when shopping
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
See, now you've peaked my interest

Our house here is very dark, due to traditional small windows to stop heat in the summer. In fact we close all the shutters. Do on that basis a TV that says OLED would be better.

What's this 8k thing. We saw this today when shopping
Now you are getting sucked in

OLED is definitely better where light isnt a problem so it sounds like this would suit you well.

8K is really just the next step in increasing the resolution (pixels on the screed).

In the olden days we had what is now called SD (Standard Definition), then came HD (High Definition), then 4K. 8K is the next step. But there is precious little being broadcast in 8K. Sky have very little even at 4K. Other broadcasters such as Netflix I believe has some, but not much.

Problem is manufacturers are sneaky - what they are starting to do is only introduce other new features on their most expensive 8K TVs. So if you want those features you need to go for these expensive models.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Now you are getting sucked in

OLED is definitely better where light isnt a problem so it sounds like this would suit you well.

8K is really just the next step in increasing the resolution (pixels on the screed).

In the olden days we had what is now called SD (Standard Definition), then came HD (High Definition), then 4K. 8K is the next step. But there is precious little being broadcast in 8K. Sky have very little even at 4K. Other broadcasters such as Netflix I believe has some, but not much.

Problem is manufacturers are sneaky - what they are starting to do is only introduce other new features on their most expensive 8K TVs. So if you want those features you need to go for these expensive models.
Thanks lovely. Now the fridge freezer needs replacing, according to the other half, as the beers not cold enough. What technological speak can you teach me... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Just thought I would update on what I have done here.

Since this thread was in full flow, I have spent way more time than I care to admit on research and looking at TVs (well I am retired and cant do much else in NI due to restrictions). My plan was to buy at the end of November when the Black Friday deals appeared.

This was hugely accelerated following a visit to a local store who had a display model of last year's Samsung 65Q90R. This is the one I had been looking at at one point but gave up as no one had stock as it was an older model. However, it was widely deemed significantly superior to this year's Q90T (which is the new version of last years Q80R).
So the hugely discounted price on this meant it would likely sell soon. So I registered my interest and asked them to give me first refusal should anyone be interested this past week. I have bought a lot of stuff from this shop over the years so they were happy to do this.

My problem was that after reading loads I really wanted to get an OLED. So have spent many hours on shops viewing TVs.

My conclusion led me to buy that display Samsung Q90R. This was based on display only. I have a high end sound system anyway so that was of no interest. In face I never listened to a single TV. And the OS and Apps weren't of major concern to me as I just use the basic services.

I spent hours reading reviews. But more importantly I started to watch YouTube video reviews. It suddenly dawned on me that pretty much every single video review used near perfect viewing conditions. Dark rooms, no windows and controllable lighting. Just like the shops.
Under these near ideal conditions, OLED was definitely better than pretty much anything else. Not by much in some cases, but it was there.
One shop had a QLED (Q90T) beside the door (with non-direct light coming in). Beside it was an OLED. It was this that had the most impact. The OLED was significantly worse than the QLED. It was not overly bright (a dull day) and little glare.
With the sales person in the shop, we started to change the lighting and as you went from darkness, the OLED started very quickly to be second best to the QLED - didnt even require it to be that bright.
The huge thing wasn't actually brightness as such - it was the screen reflections. It was this was the decision maker. Te OLED (even the most expensive) simply couldn't get close and the reflections destroyed the viewing experience.
In my living room we have lamps etc - so even in the evenings this will (and is) a problem.

I think saw standard HDR and DV footage. Standard HDR10 definitely was a step up. DV on some footage (that was in DV) was a little different. Some looked better some not so. But it was minimal and TBH in my eyes would make zero difference when I was concentrating on what I was watching. More so when not doing A/B comparisons with TVs side by side. I didnt view any HRD10+ content.
But again, the reflections destroyed the picture anyway.

The conclusion for me is that the single most important thing for a TV in terms of picture in a real life environment was how it handles reflections. Everything else is secondary by quire a long way.
In this respect, the QLED was night and day better. Admittedly, the model I chose has Samsungs "treatments" to improve this - and they work very well. This might not be the same for other models. And in our room our viewing angles are within around 30 degrees and the technology that Samsung use to help this on this model works very well.
The reduction in reflections from our old to new TV makes the world of difference in our room.

So I am now the very happy owner of this Q90R.
Though it is great out of the box, I need to play with some of the settings to see if they can make it even better.

So I have moved on from anecdotal commentary on all this and spent my hard earned cash on what I thought was by far the best 4K TV I could get from those that I was able to view. And for a reason I hadn't really considered but made the biggest difference. I didnt really look at 8K TVs other than briefly and decided that 4K was plenty good for me.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

Like you after loads of research bought the Samsung QLED 65 90T last week

Edited at 12:33 PM.
DisneyExplorer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyExplorer View Post
Like you after loads of research bought the Samsung QLED 65 90T
Enjoy!

For me it re-enforced just how tainted reviews are. And that there can be a huge difference between the "review world" and real world.

When I replace the other TV, because the room is darker, I had convinced myself that I would definately be buying OLED. Not any more for exactly the same reasons as above - we have lamps we use at night and they reflect. So again, this is the single biggest problem I need to address when buying. I guess a bit like pretty much every home.

Edited at 12:34 PM.