Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Gift for school/teachers...

I am starting to give some more thought to what we might like to do for our daughters high school that DD2 attends (currently in Yr10).

Our DD1 (who was in Yr10 at the time) died suddenly last year and I continue to be moved by the thought, time and effort a number of members of staff put into looking after DD2 and also us as a family.

We had thought that at the point where DD1's friends completed Yr 11 we might make a donation or gift vouchers etc to be given to kids in her year who had done well, not necessarily the high achievers but those who had progressed or tried the hardest iyswim, not even sure if this would have been doable but given the pandemic we did not get the opportunity.

The school also had to cancel a memorial walk that had been planned for both DD1 and another student in her year who passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Despite the amount of stress and work levels the head teacher, head of house and other staff must be under due to the pandemic they continue to support us. I want them to know what a difference they make.

I'm just looking for some ideas on how I can show them our gratitude? and when to do it now that time has passed. We could make a donation when DD2 leaves Yr11? but I'm not sure if I want the gift/money to go to the school or directly to the staff we feel supported by?

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what we could do?

Thanks in advance.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh, Ali, this is a beautiful thought.
I love your idea of celebrating the children who make the most progress ( as you say, not necessarily those who get top results ). How about a trophy or plaque , named after your daughter , which is awarded each year to the deserving child/ children. That way your daughters name will always be remembered within the school as her “Progress cup” is awarded and she will always be part of that community.
Sending you much love .
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daffodil92 View Post
Oh, Ali, this is a beautiful thought.
I love your idea of celebrating the children who make the most progress ( as you say, not necessarily those who get top results ). How about a trophy or plaque , named after your daughter , which is awarded each year to the deserving child/ children. That way your daughters name will always be remembered within the school as her “Progress cup” is awarded and she will always be part of that community.
Sending you much love .
Thank you

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of originally but now that DD1's pals are in 6th form or have left school, I feel that it won't mean as much (if anything?) giving it to children who didn't know DD1 very well? It's a huge school with around 1500 pupils...

And as much as I keep going back to this idea, I wonder if the 'award' would actually be a bit cringe worthy for the kids?... which made me think cash or a voucher each year may be more 'cool' and acceptable to the kids?!.

Having said that and in the nicest possible way, I'm not sure we want to continue to have contact with the school once DD2 has left as cutting ties might be an important step for us moving forward? Equally it wouldn't take much for me to drop off an envelope of cash once a year

Crikey, it's all a bit muddled for me. I really appreciate your input, thank you.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It is a lovely idea.

Friends of mine had a similar thought about 20 years ago, they donated the money for a small wildlife garden for science projects at the school, as that was their daughter's particular interest - it is still known as "Millie's garden".

It is lovely the way that schools still "include" and remember those children who can no longer be there.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We have a trophy at our school named after a pupil that died about 20 years ago.

The trophy is awarded as part of our awards day but if I am honest not many people really know the background behind it.

What about something that pupils can use at break such as a bench or seating area?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

At my kids high school we have a trophy donated by the family of a young man who died of an hereditary illness but who was a true fighter and an inspiration to all those who knew him

It was given to a child who continued to succeed even after something difficult was put in their path

My daughter recieved it at the end of year awards for continuing with her studies and doing well in GCSEs after losing her dad to cancer that year.

The family of the lad give the award every year and his memory lives on

As for the staff, I'm not sure, maybe get some input from the children at the school, it is a beautiful idea 💕💕
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have trees and benches as memories of pupils who have died.

I'm wondering though as you've said about the way some of the staff that have supported about something for the staffroom, not sure what (maybe a painting).

If you want to do something more for the whole school community it's a lovely idea to think of your daughter's special interests and maybe donate something to spark that interest in others.
Old 22 Oct 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Thank you

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of originally but now that DD1's pals are in 6th form or have left school, I feel that it won't mean as much (if anything?) giving it to children who didn't know DD1 very well? It's a huge school with around 1500 pupils...

And as much as I keep going back to this idea, I wonder if the 'award' would actually be a bit cringe worthy for the kids?... which made me think cash or a voucher each year may be more 'cool' and acceptable to the kids?!.

Having said that and in the nicest possible way, I'm not sure we want to continue to have contact with the school once DD2 has left as cutting ties might be an important step for us moving forward? Equally it wouldn't take much for me to drop off an envelope of cash once a year

Crikey, it's all a bit muddled for me. I really appreciate your input, thank you.

Ali x
The sixth form college ours went to had something similar. The parents donated a trophy and also put £1500 into a trust account.

The school now manages that account and when the pupil wins the trophy they get the shield and £40 amzon voucher.

Even without interest the prize will last 35+ years before they no longer have money in the account.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

I think an award in her memory is a lovely idea.
Our school has a sports trophy named in honour of a teenager who died before we moved here. He had a hereditary disease and loved,and played, football. The trophy is for best sportsmanship over the year and his mother presents the award. The PE teacher, who knew him, tells the assembly about him, so although we never met him, we know of him and the award is one of the sought after at the end of year assembly.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

When DD's peer died suddenly they have a bench in her memory where they can sit, chat & remember. Well used by the community as well. The brass name plate has been well rubbed by people touching her name.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List