Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Mar 02, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Thursday 7th February 2002 – Day 6 – “It’s raining Men - Hallelujah!” and lunch at Mythos!

Link to Back to the Future Trip Pre Trip!

Plan: IOA

Hours: US 9-7
IOA 9-6

Food: Breakfast: Room
Lunch: Mythos
Dinner:
Actual:

So how many people instantly “come to” and watch The Weather Channel with baited breath? We are this holiday! Today low 70s and rain. Actually mid 60s and torrents of rain, but we don’t know this yet!

There are no incidents requiring the attentions of the MIB(eige) today so we amble down to IOA at 9.30. No panics staying at HRH! It isn’t raining yet so a death defying swoop on The Hulk and another ride on the intergalactic teacups (twice) not out of choice I may add, but a five year old’s desire!

We dragged Sally off and persuaded her to go on Spiderman, ducking at the flying brick and screaming as we hit the floor. I can’t get over how clever it is, and how hard it is “to work the ride out.” The rain has started, we put on our rather shredded AK ponchos and board the Bilge Rat Barges. EPIC! With the most spectacular water avoidance techniques in the world we still GOT WET! As for those “lovely holidaymakers” on the Big Ship with their cannons, they should be ******* at birth! So off we went to the Big Ship to cannon those Rats, and get our own back. I could have ridden this hundreds of times, but it was just too cold and wet. Pterandon Flyers still has a 20 minute queue and must have the majority of the park’s clientele in the queue! It is bucketing it down.

So Kate, Laura and I fly onto Fire and Duel with Ice. WE WENT FRONT ROW! Please applaud now! No queue, and I saw why afterwards. It was fabulous and I thought less intimidating than further back as you could see “what’s ahead”. Quite a lot at times! But boy, what a wet ride! With buckets of water being thrown at us we came off wetter than a Bilge Rat! It also hurts, which we hadn’t bargained for, but a small price to pay for front row, no queue Duelling Dragons! A couple more rounds in the Unicorn and we dodged the deluge and ducked into Mythos for lunch. Luckily they had the heating on, and it was quite steamy, but a wonderful setting and it would be such a relief to get in there on a normal day to escape the sun. We’re in the inside of a cave, the whole of the Lost Continent is incredible for it’s theming.

Down to the serious business of food, a chicken wrap, chicken club, ribs and a child’s burger (that ended up not arriving, and eventually was supplied complimentary) My chicken wrap was superb, beers were drunk by the rib eater, soda’s abound. If all that was not enough the 4 little piggies (DH is too carnivorous to leave room for pud) ordered the Chocolate Dessert Selection and a Mango Cheesecake. Now this is the strange part, the chocolate selection was not as good as I was hoping, but mainly because it was too sophisticated in the flavour combinations! For a “premium” chocolate lover it would be perfect! The mango cheesecake was delish! The whole lot with tax/tips, 15% off, and a complimentary burger was $66. It was a great meal and not “too” sophisticted for us, although on the day of our visit the whole place was draped in steaming ponchos! The food presentation was excellent and the service fine, one missing order, but we can cope with that. Florida definitely encourages an “all trotters in the trough” style of family eating, everyone trying everything.

We time this beautifully to exit in time for the 2pm Sinbad Show. This was superb, one of the best shows anywhere, a little bit like an action adventure indoor Fantasmic if that makes sense. The scenery is spectacular, pyrotechnics first class and awesome acrobatics. It was also very funny, with truly terrible puns! We bag lots of autographs of the stars afterwards, and back out into Wet n Wild (sorry we are in IOA really)

After hitting the dripping dragons again, multiple Seuss Landing Rides (including 1 fish 2 fish with water squirters this time) one last Hulk (twice) and more Spidey I pluck up the courage to DO Dr DOOM. Ug. All I could think of was Becky’s trousers Mandy! I survived the shortest ride in history, I was down before we were up, which is just as well really. I’m glad there was no queue. One very last Hulk and we were theme parked out, although the rain has “gone away for another day” for now.

No swimming, just Michael’s! I asked for directions to this “Hobbycraft” type store, and it is behind Sweet Tomatoes, so guess where dinner is! Now only Bev will understand, but I was let loose in there for an hour! Spent $50 on scrapbook supplies, yes I know, not very exciting for most people. “Sad” was the eldest daughter’s comment! I think the others raided the big bookstore next door, and there is a golf shop over the way. Another feast in Sweet Tom(hay)toes for $35 and back for bed, via the Hard Rock Shop which is a bit upmarket for us. However, Steve is missing his washed out 1982 Donnington Festival T shirt that I chucked out, so goes for a middle aged Hard Rock T shirt instead (in the sale), the quality is a lot better. I was seriously tempted by the fantastic shirts that would have suited Shaun to a T! These were Wild with a capital “W”. Sorry Shaun, you’re not worth $90, perhaps Alison will get you one! Bought myself a groovy Hard Rock Beanie Bear to take home and collapsed into bed with him (the beanie that is). Thank goodness I’m beginning to feel a bit better, but still too shattered to drink my little bottle of plonk.

Tomorrow: Goodbye Hard Rock Hotel, hello Disney!

Day 7

Edited at 08:18 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Glad you found Michaels!  It's great isn't it - Phil and Katie slept in the car while I went in.  They didn't know what they were missing...

$50 was quite a light escape,  I spent a bit more than that...  BUT it has to be said that most of what I bought was junk that I have never used,   still you have to do these things.

Sounds like you had a good day despite the rain,  I think we missed out on the best of IOA,  we were too busy trying to find things that Katie would enjoy - we should have just told her to wait while mum and dad had some fun!

Bev
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Seems that the rain didn't cramp your style then.
Dripping Dragons..LOL

I like the sound of that chicken wrap. Mythos is on our "to do" list for this year.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Bev - I learnt from your lesson, and bought lots of patterned paper (3 sheets a dollar) chalks with a 40% off coupon, colouring pencils and little letter stickers!!  Amongst other things... .

Carole - One Fish Two Fish, Wet Fish Blue Fish!! .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Wonderful Fiona!  . Glad you got to try Dr Doom, now you can imagine what Becky's trousers were like!!

SOunds very wet all day, but glad it didn't cramp your style!

(applause for DD front row! . )
Old 17 Mar 02, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

$90.?

No, you're right - he ISN'T worth that! LOL
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List