Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Feb 17, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What would you do?

Hello there

We are flying to Orlando on Saturday 23rd Dec at 7.30am.
I break up from work the day before at 3pm...and we live near Cardiff.
Do we...

1. Go down to London straight from school, brave the traffic and check into Premier Inn for some sleep.

2. Leave it until about 7pm, drive down to London, check into Premier Inn and get a couple of hours.

3. Drive straight to airport in the early hours.

4. Other.

Thank you for your help! With it being Christmas weekend, I can't decide what to do for the best.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post

I would book a PI on a cancellable deal and give yourself more time to think.
You can always cancel and rebook a cheaper price later in the year if you decide you do want to stay.

When you say London - do you mean Heathrow ?
That is a much quicker proposition than LGW.

My DH would drive it early doors, I would always want to go the night before. Will you have to do the Brynglas tunnels or avoid them ? They will be bad then I think. They are blocked up for me from about 3pm on a normal Friday. 7pm should be better (unless everybody has the same idea!).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Personally I would go for option 1. Or book a taxi shuttle to take you - even if you are delayed you will be at the hotel and can relax before travelling
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Not sure what time but I would definitely go down the day before. Especially with such an early flight. I wouldn't chance the drive in the morning, in case of big delays on the road.
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I would book a PI on a cancellable deal and give yourself more time to think.
You can always cancel and rebook a cheaper price later in the year if you decide you do want to stay.

When you say London - do you mean Heathrow ?
That is a much quicker proposition than LGW.

My DH would drive it early doors, I would always want to go the night before. Will you have to do the Brynglas tunnels or avoid them ? They will be bad then I think. They are blocked up for me from about 3pm on a normal Friday. 7pm should be better (unless everybody has the same idea!).
Hi there and thanks for your reply. Yes, we are flying from Heathrow, so cuts down the travel time a bit.
DH like yours doesn't mind the early hours drive, but I prefer to be there ready. We would probably take the SDR through Newport and bypass that stretch of the motorway, coming out on the Coldra. I can't stand the tunnels. Maybe that would be a bit better. 7pm sounded good to me initially, but then I remembered it was Christmas week lol. Perhaps we ought to just accept there will be traffic and brave the rush hour drive to London
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
Personally I would go for option 1. Or book a taxi shuttle to take you - even if you are delayed you will be at the hotel and can relax before travelling
I'm thinking that though DH disagrees. I'd rather be in traffic for 5 hours than late for my flight!
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mental Minnie View Post
Not sure what time but I would definitely go down the day before. Especially with such an early flight. I wouldn't chance the drive in the morning, in case of big delays on the road.
Thank you. That's a very good point!
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
Hi there and thanks for your reply. Yes, we are flying from Heathrow, so cuts down the travel time a bit.
DH like yours doesn't mind the early hours drive, but I prefer to be there ready. We would probably take the SDR through Newport and bypass that stretch of the motorway, coming out on the Coldra. I can't stand the tunnels. Maybe that would be a bit better. 7pm sounded good to me initially, but then I remembered it was Christmas week lol. Perhaps we ought to just accept there will be traffic and brave the rush hour drive to London
Its hard to second guess it isnt it? Its Black friday, end of term so may be quieter.

But still, think I am in the night before camp (esp if you can get PI cheaply). If you left at 3pm you might not get there until 6 or 7 - when would you realistically be going to sleep ? Prob not until 9.30 or so (excitement ) so perhaps a 7pm start wouldnt really be cutting into your sleep too much.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 02:41 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Option 1 or 2.

I'll be doing similar in a few weeks on a weekday.. Though the kids are finishing at 1pm.. we intend to leave around 2ish but last year it was nearer 4.30, We just go whenever we're ready stop off for tea somewhere and get to the Heathrow hotel whenever.

There is no way I'd travel down to Heathrow the day we fly.. We always go the night / day before and I'm glad we do.

2 years ago we went down the day before and got stuck in the most horrendous traffic jam due to a accident, Took nearly 3 hrs to do about 10 miles. Had we been flying that day we would have missed the plane.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Gaston77
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Not familiar with your route but we usually travel from Scotland to Manchester the night before. Apart from the security of knowing you're near the airport, I feel travelling in the early hours makes it a really long day by the time you get to Florida. I'd suggest Premier Inn!
Gaston77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List