Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Jun 04, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks All !

That was very useful. I am begging to think the kids are looking forward to the storms more than Disney.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 04, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank You!
Old 3 Jun 04, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

When this rain question has come up previously, I have assumed that the Florida rainstorms will be similar to the afternoon rainstorms I experienced in Houston. Are they really likely to be worse in Florida? FLGirl-UKNow - you say Orlando is the lightening capital of the world, is it quite scary then! Actually, I rather enjoy thunderstorms.

Zoe
Old 3 Jun 04, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

When we were there June/July 2001 we got to know when a thunderstorm was on its way. It would start to get cloudy and the wind would begin to whip up. That's when it's time to seek shelter and watch
Old 4 Jun 04, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Lightning is very serious in Orlando and isn't to be taken lightly. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

A rule of thumb for knowing the distance of a storm (and helps to calm down scared children) is to start counting as soon as you see the flash of the lightning. They say, if it is true, that for every second you count that is how many miles away the storm is. Also, you don't have to have rain to have lightning. If the conditions are right it can flash at any point.

***speaking from experience, our house was struck by lightning twice and suffered minor fire damage***

Here is a great website from a known local photographer if you'd like to take a look:

Lightning
Old 4 Jun 04, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

best thing to do is to plan to get in a queue to do an inside ride like pirates of the carribean or something else like that or an inside show around the time the rain is due about 4 pm ish i think isnt it?

we did that and usually timed it just right that when we came out the rain had just finished and we had not got wet!

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 04, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Our house has been struck twice by lightning, the first time was the biggest bang I have ever heard and a blue flash and a crackling noise zipped through the house. We lost everything that was plugged in and not covered by insurance as it was "an act of God". Second time was not as bad as it hit the back wall and just knocked out the digital box and telephone and answerphone.
In California in 2002 they had not had a thunderstorm in 5 years and they had 2 when we were there, 1 the night before we came home and the parades and fireworks had to be cancelled and 1 on the way to the airport and the freeway turned into a river. Never seen so much rain and such big hailstones.We were travelling in a minibus to the airport and the noise of it hitting the roof was really bad, but in 5 minutes time it was glorious sunshine!
Love Rio
Old 6 Jun 04, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
lfcnut
Very Serious Dibber

I thought that last August was really bad for storms. I've a picture that I took walking back to to the car at US and its like a wall of water. I've been to lots of places around the world but can't remember seing rain like it anywhere.

It didn't spoil the holiday!

New York 2017 Dubai 2018 Cancun 2019
lfcnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 04, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Ponchos? What is all that about? Poncho's are for Far Easstern tourists - Japan, Korea etc.
Enjoy the rain! I can never understand why people go on a "wet" ride wearing a poncho... what is the point?
Bluto's Bilge Raft ride should be a poncho free area!
a) the water cools you down
b) you dry off immediately (almost)

Ban all poncho's I say!

P
Old 15 Jun 04, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by icatqman
Ponchos? What is all that about?

Ban all poncho's I say!

P
LOL - I couldn't agree more, P.