Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Apr 13, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Castaway Cay - activities for 3yr old

I am just going through the Port Adventures at castaway cay and am disappointed to see that most things are for age 5yrs and up. Float/tube rentals are only for 5yrs and above, but once I have one will I be ok to let my 3yr old in mine? The stingrays I understand the age restriction. The snorkelling is also age 5yrs and up, but my DD can already swim better than DS and he's 2yrs older. If she has her own snorkel will she be allowed to use it?

I'm happy for the kids to be in kids clubs and us have adult time whilst on ship, but at CC and Cozumel want us all to be together, since DD2 is already a huge fan of the water and can almost swim without any armbands at 21mths, (though I wouldn't let her swim in the sea without some sort of flotation aid), I was hoping she could snorkel etc with us. I'd also like her to be able to come on a boat rental with us, though the biggest only take 4, but we could have 2 boats, 3 of us in one and 2 in another, again these say age 5 upwards

Has anyone any experience of doing these things with a 3yr old?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 13, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Disney mum View Post
I am just going through the Port Adventures at castaway cay and am disappointed to see that most things are for age 5yrs and up. Float/tube rentals are only for 5yrs and above, but once I have one will I be ok to let my 3yr old in mine? The stingrays I understand the age restriction. The snorkelling is also age 5yrs and up, but my DD can already swim better than DS and he's 2yrs older. If she has her own snorkel will she be allowed to use it?

I'm happy for the kids to be in kids clubs and us have adult time whilst on ship, but at CC and Cozumel want us all to be together, since DD2 is already a huge fan of the water and can almost swim without any armbands at 21mths, (though I wouldn't let her swim in the sea without some sort of flotation aid), I was hoping she could snorkel etc with us. I'd also like her to be able to come on a boat rental with us, though the biggest only take 4, but we could have 2 boats, 3 of us in one and 2 in another, again these say age 5 upwards

Has anyone any experience of doing these things with a 3yr old?
Firstly, the boat rental .. If it says aged 5 and up, then they mean 5 and up and it doesn't matter how well you say your children can swim.

If you take your own snorkel kit, of course the children can use it in the public areas of the beach/seA, but not on excursions.
I would just say one thing though .. Being able to swim is very different from being able to snorkel and I would be very surprised if a 3 year old with no prior experience would be able to snorkel happily.
If you rent a tube, I'm pretty sure having a littlie on your lap would be ok, but I don't know that for sure!

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 13, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
If you take your own snorkel kit, of course the children can use it in the public areas of the beach/seA, but not on excursions.
I would just say one thing though .. Being able to swim is very different from being able to snorkel and I would be very surprised if a 3 year old with no prior experience would be able to snorkel happily.
If you rent a tube, I'm pretty sure having a littlie on your lap would be ok, but I don't know that for sure!
thanks, the swimming teacher I take the 2 younger ones to now is going to teach us all how to snore next summer so hopefully DD2 will be fine, it's DS I'm worried about, despite being older he's nowhere near as good in the water. I hate sand but love swimming so hoping to spend as much time in water as possible at CC. But if I have to I'll take some Rescue Remedy and try build some sandcastles with the kids, they love sand but I struggle to tidy up the sandpit in the garden :(
Old 10 Apr 13, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Disney mum View Post
thanks, the swimming teacher I take the 2 younger ones to now is going to teach us all how to snore next summer so hopefully DD2 will be fine, it's DS I'm worried about, despite being older he's nowhere near as good in the water. I hate sand but love swimming so hoping to spend as much time in water as possible at CC. But if I have to I'll take some Rescue Remedy and try build some sandcastles with the kids, they love sand but I struggle to tidy up the sandpit in the garden
She's going to teach them to SNORE?! ha ha

I'm another hater of sand .. Nasty stuff. You know to take talc with you though yes? Dust it on yourself and the sand will just fall off of you .. Miraculous stuff!
Old 10 Apr 13, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
She's going to teach them to SNORE?! ha ha

I'm another hater of sand .. Nasty stuff. You know to take talc with you though yes? Dust it on yourself and the sand will just fall off of you .. Miraculous stuff!
my spelling is terrible when I Dibb on my phone!
Yep, someone told me about talk last year, can't believe I didn't know before though.
Old 11 Apr 13, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

there's nothing to say you cannot take your own little float for the toddler and i do believe there is a small toddler lot play area for the smaller ones on castaway cay just to the side of the family beach?

maybe it's because i live pretty much right on the beach but i don't mind the sand at all, i would say it would be such a shame to leave the little one onboard, some of my first and happiest memories are with a bucket and spade in the sand, us adults might not like the sand that much but i don't know many kids that don't enjoy messing about on the beach

even just getting a few feet in the water can have interest for a small one too, on our last trip we only had to be up to knee high to get those pretty little silvery fish up close and swimming around our ankles and i saw lots of small ones in their own floats or holding onto mums and dads hands being totally fascinated by them
Old 11 Apr 13, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
there's nothing to say you cannot take your own little float for the toddler and i do believe there is a small toddler lot play area for the smaller ones on castaway cay just to the side of the family beach?

maybe it's because i live pretty much right on the beach but i don't mind the sand at all, i would say it would be such a shame to leave the little one onboard, some of my first and happiest memories are with a bucket and spade in the sand, us adults might not like the sand that much but i don't know many kids that don't enjoy messing about on the beach

even just getting a few feet in the water can have interest for a small one too, on our last trip we only had to be up to knee high to get those pretty little silvery fish up close and swimming around our ankles and i saw lots of small ones in their own floats or holding onto mums and dads hands being totally fascinated by them
Marie, I wasn't suggesting I leave her onboard at all, we will all get off at Castaway Cay and spend the day together, since Lucy is a little mermaid and I love the water, was hoping we would be in the water as much as possible and on the sand as little as possible, as DH and I both have a problem with sand (if we use it at the playgroup I run I have to get someone else to clean it up for me). But we will hire bikes and do whatever, Lucy should be tall enough for the water slides and will love them (we already take her on slides if we can get away with it at the local pool and she loves them). I had ditched the idea of marina rental at WDW thinking it would be nicer to rent a boat at CC, but now know we can't. I will take a float and her own snorkel stuff, rather than excursions we will just do our own thing at CC as a family.
Old 11 Apr 13, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

so sorry karen

i misread your original post obv i shouldn't dibb before waking up properly and getting at least 2 coffees into me

i'm sure you will all have a wonderful tme on castway cay and make some wonderful family memories and it goes without saying i will be expecting some pictures either on here or over on fb
Old 11 Apr 13, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
so sorry karen

i misread your original post obv i shouldn't dibb before waking up properly and getting at least 2 coffees into me

i'm sure you will all have a wonderful tme on castway cay and make some wonderful family memories and it goes without saying i will be expecting some pictures either on here or over on fb
DH doesn't know but I'm hoping to buy a new camera before our next trip so there'll be 100s pics, you won't be able to escape them
Old 12 Apr 13, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
winotracy
Excited about Disney

If you bring your own snorkel gear and want to use it you can, but you will be required to wear one of their life vests if on the snorkel trail. You might have to limit yourselves to swimming/snorkeling around the swimming area as the vests may be too large for her (it's just one of the flat ones that you blow up to float.
winotracy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread