Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Nov 16, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Thinking of a first-time cruise

DH and I were talking to the plumber's dad(!) the other day and he was extolling the virutes of cruises - I think he must be on commission

We had been possibly considering thinking about(!) doing a cruise and had a chat after the plumber and his dad had gone and decided we'd have a look to ascertain the cost.

Ideally, we'd like to start off with a shortish cruise around the Med., maybe 4 or 5 days to see if we like it. We'd be without children and flexible on dates. We'd like it to be warm, so the summer months obviously would be better.

I've been looking around but unbelievably can't seem to find anywhere that fits those requirements - I'm sure there must be loads of them around - can someone please point me in the right direction?

I'm sure I'll have other questions once I get stuck into this, but I'm struggling to get started without finding the cruise we are looking for first.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
No1 Babe
Excited about Disney

The disney magic has a med cruise for 7 days . Have u looked on the disney cruise line web page ?
No1 Babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by No1 Babe View Post
The disney magic has a med cruise for 7 days . Have u looked on the disney cruise line web page ?
I don't think I could swing a Disney one first up with DH - I'll work my way up to that, just don't tell him!

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

If my husband was a plumbers dad I'd think you'd met him! He recommends cruising to everyone . We weren't sure about cruising either but bit the gullet in 2013 for my 40th and have done one every year since. A non cruising holiday just doesn't appeal anymore.

We've always sailed RCI; 3 x Caribbean and one Greek isles.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Have a look at vacationstogo for an overview of pretty much everything in the Med month by month. Then shop around if you see something you fancy.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

I would recommend either P&O Oceana 1wk fly cruise as a starter, however if you wanted a bigger ship then Princess Royal Caribbean and Norwegian would also suit as they do a variety of 1wk fly cruise itineries. in terms of budget we try to stick to less that £700 PW inc flights per person. usually lots of deals about especially if outside school hols.
florida_noob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 16, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
For our first cruise - and we were very reluctant cruisers - and I have NO idea why we booked a cruise we did 1 week P&O to the Fjords.
Had an amazing time - Norway was fab and we LOVED cruising.

So much so that we rebooked on board for 2 weeks in the Caribbean in Jan 2018!

We are also planning a northern cape cruise, northern Europe (Russia etc) and Alaska.

We just need more money and more leave time - or to win the lottery

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Be WARNED it's addictive!

We started cruising in 2009 as we saw a bargain & have been every year since except the 2010 when we went on our last visit to WDW. Are currently planning next years cruise.

Would recommend a weeks cruise. We book through Cruise.co.uk also look at Iglu cruises & Bolsover cruises for a idea of prices.

Also the cruise.co.uk website has passengers reviews of different cruises & different ships, worth reading a few of those.
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch

Edited at 09:24 PM.
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Cruising is wonderful, I work for small cruise line and we have cruised small and larger ships, love them all! I have a blog that I keep as a hobby, please feel free to take a look, I dont sell cruises but happy to help with any questions!
mybigfatcruise

Cruising is for life, not just for christmas...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

We went on a P&O Western Med cruise a few years ago. It's not something I would have expected to enjoy but it was free so off we went.

I was surprised just how much I did enjoy it though. A great new place every other day, fine dining, nice bars... what was not to like .

Edited at 09:30 PM.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread