Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Feb 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Immigration at Orlando Airport

We arrived last night at around 5:30pm on VS15. I'm up early this morning (5am) as usual on day 1.

The immigration process has changed since our last visit in 2015. They have introduced automatic machines with the aim of speeding things up but it really slowed things down.

It took over 2 hrs from plane to hire car desk. People are unsure how to use the machines then once through you join another line to get your passport stamped before the final line for customs. And then follow this with the shuttle.

It's always been the worse part of the holiday and I think have made it even worse.

At least it's over now. When the rest of the Lewis family get up we'll be off to IHOP for brekkie before a day of shopping for holiday essential
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Just out of interest did you have a choice to use the machines or stand in normal line.
tinkerella123 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Hope you have a good shopping trip.

Do you know, did everyone have to use the automatic machine? My husband and daughter have new passports since they last went to the us, so will need to do fingerprint and iris scanning I think? ive been last year, but presume we would stay together as a group.

I kind of assumed the automatic machines would be for those who have already had fingerprints taken/iris scanning with the passport they were travelling with.

Have a great hols. D
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post

There is an explanatory video here which takes you through the automatic check machines:

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
Just out of interest did you have a choice to use the machines or stand in normal line.
You will be directed by representatives. You can only use the machines if
you have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008. If you have a new passport you may be guided to an Immigration officer.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DFussy View Post

Do you know, did everyone have to use the automatic machine? My husband and daughter have new passports since they last went to the us, so will need to do fingerprint and iris scanning I think? ive been last year, but presume we would stay together as a group.

I kind of assumed the automatic machines would be for those who have already had fingerprints taken/iris scanning with the passport they were travelling with.

Have a great hols. D
If you scroll down on this link it will explain the use of the kiosks. Basically if you've been since 2008.

orlandoairports/getting-around-mco/

OP We've only used them once a couple of years ago and we were invited to use them by the Immigration staff and there were only half a dozen machines. Are you saying that everyone has to go through the kiosks now?
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
No. Anyone how had been to Florida before since 2008 was sent to the machines.
Old 8 Feb 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFussy View Post

Have a great hols. D
The machines do the scan and fingerprints. Only first time visitors or pre 2008 visitors joined the old style line
Old 8 Feb 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

thanks for the video. I have saved the link so I can look at that again a few days before we go. D
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
If you scroll down on this link it will explain the use of the kiosks. Basically if you've been since 2008.

orlandoairports/getting-around-mco/

OP We've only used them once a couple of years ago and we were invited to use them by the Immigration staff and there were only half a dozen machines. Are you saying that everyone has to go through the kiosks now?
Yes. That was the approach last night. There were about 10 machines and a long line. I think it was only our flight arriving but it took 2 hrs to get through.