Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 16 Sep 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

EMV advice ?

Hi Guys

so we are planning next year and my mam will not be able to walk ( she will get from chair to ride but cant walk more than a couple of meters since her stroke earlier this year.
my thoughts were to order and electric scooter and she will be fine but my dad has said her left side is still a bit weak and she doesn't have a great sense of perception. She does sometimes bump into things ..
What do you guys recommend ? im sort of hoping by the time we go she will be a bit better but im not sure ?

I was thinking a normal wheelchair may be better but in the august heat its going to be tough .. mind she is only 7 stone so could be worse.

what do you think ? .. also how far in advance do you book them ?

thanks
lisa
Old 18 Sep 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
coulty47
Apprentice Imagineer

When we last went 5yrs ago my knees were very bad( had new one since) and other health problems I didnt know if I would need a wheelchair or not.But after our first day what with the heat crowds and the distance you have to walk in the parks, I nearly collapsed getting out of the park and we had to borrow a wheelchair from services just to get to the bus.So the next day I went on line to look at electric wheelchairs, quite a reasonable price so ordered one that was delivered to the hotel the same day,soon got used to the controls and my son in law got it on buses for me.And on the last day we just took it to left luggage etc at the hotel and it was picked up from there. It was that good that I ended up with the job of going to the food court for everybodys drinks in a morning. I would definitely recommend getting one.
coulty47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My DH condition has left him with nearly no feeling all down his left side. His mobility is stand up and a few feet, if that , but he manages a mobility scooter as you can operate it with either hand. They are really easy to use & you can set the speed really slow, so if her coordination is not good, at least if your walking beside her you can intervene. We have pushed manual wheelchairs in August as my daughter is disabled, its no fun in that heat!
There are 2 or 3 really good companies Dibbers recommend, we use Florida Mobility Rentals & usually book a few months before when an offer comes through on email
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Thank you so much guys x

JOT it sounds very similar to my mum, At home she doesn't really leave home much and we were worried with her limited use on one side and no coordination it would be a problem but feeling better now 👍🏻 X
Old 22 Sep 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I push my daughter in the parks all the time including in August and she weighs 40lbs more than me. She does have an electric wheelchair but she is having problems with depth perception so isn't safe to use it in crowds. TBH I have seen too many people driving scooters who aren't safe that I really think you need to pay attention to your concerns.

I actually saw one lady go down the ramp at the Frozen Show completely out of control. She panicked and even her daughter grabbing the handle didn't stop her but just caused her to do a wheelie. She then crashed into the women in front. I honestly don't know how she wasn't seriously injured!

If you have more than one person to take turns pushing it isn't that bad.

You have plenty of time to wait and see how she is. There are dozens of companies here that rent them.
Old 28 Dec 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

You can set the ECV at a snail pace speed and gradually build up as your mother gets more used to her settings.

I was also able to use and steer the ECV competently using one arm, if a concern of yours is her using her left side competently? I only know that I managed because I may or may not have steered one handed as I took photos with my left hand 😂😂. It’s very easy Cos the scooters don’t have break handles. Once you let go of the acceleration trigger/handle... the breaks lock on.

In a tight spot, such as parking my ECV onto a bus or into a viewing area for a show...I’ve had cast members pretty much park it for me whilst I’ve sat and let them.

Don’t fear the ECV. ECVs are great.