Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 26 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile Website set-up help

My kids swimming club need a new website. They've lost their old domain name so starting from scratch.

Somehow I've been roped in to sort. I can get a new domain name for 99p but no idea where is best to host it?

I'm not that tech savvy but DH will help. We need someone idiot proof. Someone said to use Go Daddy but thought I'd ask on here for advice first?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Go Daddy is good! I used them to buy a domain for my wedding website, it was super easy and I’ve had no issues ☺️
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Vistaprint is good for websites.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I've used godaddy for a domain name and plan to use something like wix to actually design the page - unless anyone else has any bright ideas?!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

This is my day job, lol, I am a digital marketing consultant, specializing in websites. I doubt if there is budget to pay me, lol but my advise would be a WordPress website. There are two versions of WordPress, a free version which you don;t need to have a host and a hosted version.

The free version has limited functions and features but is user friendly for beginners.

The hosted version is still very user friendly but is a more professional route.

If you are going with website hosting, I would advise researching UK based hosting companies. Go Daddy is cheap but it is located in USA. A UK host is much better idea.

I'm in Ireland and all my clients and my own website are hosted with an Irish company.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I run a number of websites and can concur with the advice from Bad Pink Tink. The only other advice would be to avoid Go Daddy (and its sister companies) like the plague. I use SiteGround which has datacentres around the world so you can get a UK-based website for speed. Their basic package (which should suit you) is £2.95 plus VAT per month. I would recommend getting the longest package (3 years) as the introductory price is only for your first "term" and it will go up to £8.95 plus VAT per month when it comes to renewing. 3 years comes in at an upfront fee of £106.20 plus VAT though so might be outside the budget.