Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 Jan 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
chazman88
A Guest at All-Stars

Help with Marriott Vacation Club - Harbour Lake

Hi All,

I know this isnt quite the correct place for this but you all appear so knowlegdeable and helpful!

A few years ago (im thinking something like 8 - 10) my parents bought a membership to the Marriott Vacation Club with a holding at Marriott's Harbour Lake, Florida.

From what ive worked out I think they bought 1 week every year, in the "gold" season, in a 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom "lock off" villa. This apparently meant that they could go to Florida every year for 1 week and have access to the full Villa or "lock off" part of the villa to turn it into a 1 Bed 1 Bathroom and have 2 weeks every year.

Unfortunately a couple of years ago my dad passed away and my mum isnt interested in traveling anymore so she has just been paying the anual dues and losing the week each year.

My mum doesnt want to keep paying out each year (I think the dues are about $1500) and has asked me to look into the best way of selling it etc.

I suggested that we look at the possibility of renting the weeks out but really dont know the market or value of what she owns.

So i have a few questions!

1. Does any body know the current value of the holding if she wanted to sell it?
2. Where is the best place to look at selling it?
3. Is it possible to rent out the week each year?
4. What could we rent it out at?

If we rented it out it has to atleast cover the dues each year, there is no point keeping it and loosing money each year.

Im hoping somebody here might be able to answer some of my questions.

Thanks
chazman88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I am afraid I do not know much about other timeshare. I think you can probably sell it, but other timeshare often has limited sell on value. I think Hilton does OK, but I am not sure about Marriot. People often unload some timeshare for free or pay for it to be taken off their hands, but I am not sure about Marriot.
I would contact a REPUTABLE timeshare selling agent- after consulting forums online, unless someone on here is an expert. Be wary of scammers offering to try and get you out of the timeshare, there are plenty of those about I have read.
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Hi and so sorry for your loss.

The Marriott has a web page for those thinking of selling, so please check out marriottvacationclub/exit/

As for options like renting out a week, I don't think you should waste any time looking into that as it would be difficult to rent and I don't think you'll never get back anythng near to the annual dues of $1,500.

One reason being is that Interval International rents weeks at resorts such as Marriott's Harbour Lake and for a lot less.

Here's some examples for a week in a 2-bedroom at Harbour Lake.

Apr 26 2020 - May 03 2020, cost £609.00.

May 28 2020 - Jun 04 2020, cost £418.00

Jul 02 2020 - Jul 09 2020, cost £1,059.00 (but that is over 4th of July)

Also check out ebay where there are weekly rentals ebay/itm/Orlando-FL-...0AAOSwi7RZLyHE

And also auctions to purchase a 1-week deed such as...
ebay/itm/PLATINUM-SE...AOSwGldeJLR G

Worth reading as they state the annual Maintenance Fee is $766 for 1-week in Platinum Season.

We don't own a Marriot timeshare so really can't help any more, good luck and hope you can sort something out soon.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 04:09 AM  
Link to this Post
littlestar
First POST

I would post your question over at the Timeshare Users Group forum on tugbbs.com as they have a Marriott Vacation Club board with lots of great info.

We used to own an every other year platinum week at Marriott’s Grande Vista resort in Orlando. We listed it for sale in the Tug marketplace for $1,000 and sold it but Marriott stepped in and exercised their Right of First Refusal and bought it. Hated it for our buyer, but we got paid quickly from Marriott.

If your mom’s timeshare is paid off, I bet Marriott would accept it back for free. But the folks over at the Tug Marriott board should be able to tell you the value of your mom’s gold Harbour Lake week before you go that route.

Good luck. Sorry about your dad.
littlestar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
chazman88
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks for the replys.

I have already posted at tugbbs.com and have had a few useful replys there as well.

We have already spoken to Marriott andthey have said that they can accept it back for free but my mum still had to pay the maintenance fees that were due for the year ahead. As we had no choice to pay thought it would be worth looking if it was possible to at least make that back.

Its looking unlikely/not worth going down the route of renting so most likely have to sell for what we can or just hand it back.
Old 28 Jan 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by chazman88 View Post
Thanks for the replys.

I have already posted at tugbbs.com and have had a few useful replys there as well.

We have already spoken to Marriott andthey have said that they can accept it back for free but my mum still had to pay the maintenance fees that were due for the year ahead. As we had no choice to pay thought it would be worth looking if it was possible to at least make that back.

Its looking unlikely/not worth going down the route of renting so most likely have to sell for what we can or just hand it back.
Unfortunately most timeshares aside from DVC are poor... DVC really is in a different league, at least it has been so far. I think the Hilton hold some value but even they lose a lot.
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post

I own MVC at Grand vista, we just trade with Interval international to a resort we fancy, which has been MVC Cypress harbour ( on the opposite side of the road to HL )

to answer your questions

1. Depends on the time of year you sell, around now, thy might be as low as a few $, this is normally because dues are due and people want to sell, look again in the summer and they might fetch $1500 plus

2. have a look at any of the timeshare / vacation club sales companies, even the DVC lot will take the job of selling

3. Ive rented my weeks out 4 times now, i normally just charge my dues and trade fee's , i dont attempt to make money from it

4. in the past Ive asked just my dues and trading fee's, i must admit i havent rented them out for a few years now as we use them, my whole family prefer MVC over DVC, the units are huge, in CH they are 2 bedrooms with a full kitchen, massive lounge, laundry room, and the resort is just wonderful, it out disney's disney
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

$1500 seems a lot for dues, we were $900 ish for a red week 2 bed over Presidents weekend at Sheraton Vistana resort.
Marriott has a good name, I would have thought that you could sell it.
We just took over this week from my parents a couple of years ago and it was a bit complicated doing the paperwork, at one point we had to get a cheque in $US, there was no way of paying by credit, debit card or bank transfer.
Good luck with whatever you decide.