Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Bringing up someone elses child as my own.
…...that's wonderful.."well done!..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Pulling a Family of 4 from a burning car, and they still send an xmas card every year this was 1981.
Over coming my dyslexia and thanking my Sargent who reconsidered this.
Losds of other things I did for myself but these pail to insignificance if you cannot do something for someone else.
Of course I realise this was a personal thread but a greater person than me said.
it's not what you can do for yourself it's what do for someone else that matters.
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Pulling a Family of 4 from a burning car, and they still send an xmas card every year this was 1981.
Over coming my dyslexia and thanking my Sargent who reconsidered this.
Losds of other things I did for myself but these pail to insignificance if you cannot do something for someone else.
Of course I realise this was a personal thread but a greater person than me said.
it's not what you can do for yourself it's what do for someone else that matters.
thats amazing...really something to feel proud of
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Can I tell you my dads story/great achievement as he is no longer here to tell it.

My dad’s dad was a traveller a true old fashioned Irish traveller who happened to stay for a while for my Nan but got itchy feet when my dad was 3. His mum re married to a horrid man who beat my dad daily. They had 6 other children so 7 children slept in one bedroom with just old mattresses on the floor and a leaky roof. My dad was given the last scraps that were left over to eat.
At the grand age of 11 my dad had enough of the beatings and left home, walked from Wigan to Oldham to find his aunt. This took him 3 days on a stolen bike. His mum came for him when he was 14 to bring him home.
He started working at 15 at bulldog tools. He could not read or write.
At 18 he met my mum and she fell pregnant, her parents said that they could get married if he went to night school and got some education.
My dad fell in love with education and ended up volunteering to teach other adults to read and write one evening a week for ten years until the charity went bust. For the first time in his life he had a home full of love and he went on to do a degree, masters & PHD but still continued to do other A levels that interested him like biology, psychology etc etc. He was the chairman of the institute of management.
His family (my mum, my sister & I) were his life.
He was so loved, such a loving man but also very tall and strong, certainly not someone you messed with lol. He was the corner stone to our family.

He was dragged up, they was unbelievably poor, he was beaten and spat on, lived with other relatives for 3 years yet this never effected his later life. He turned his life around completely.
In the hospice one of the carers burst out crying when she saw my dad, he had taught her read and write and passed on the passion for education and learning and she said she had always remembered him and was forever great full to him.

My dads greatest achievement was not letting his childhood ruin his life. He was tremendously proud of my sister and I and loved his grandchildren with all his heart.
What an amazing man your dad was
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DH and I have+been together since we were teenagers been married nearly 40 years and no matter what life has flung at us and I mean at times a real shed load of ***** many times we’ve worked as a team and come out the other end and still in a tunnel at he minute but there is light
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Can I tell you my dads story/great achievement as he is no longer here to tell it.

My dad’s dad was a traveller a true old fashioned Irish traveller who happened to stay for a while for my Nan but got itchy feet when my dad was 3. His mum re married to a horrid man who beat my dad daily. They had 6 other children so 7 children slept in one bedroom with just old mattresses on the floor and a leaky roof. My dad was given the last scraps that were left over to eat.
At the grand age of 11 my dad had enough of the beatings and left home, walked from Wigan to Oldham to find his aunt. This took him 3 days on a stolen bike. His mum came for him when he was 14 to bring him home.
He started working at 15 at bulldog tools. He could not read or write.
At 18 he met my mum and she fell pregnant, her parents said that they could get married if he went to night school and got some education.
My dad fell in love with education and ended up volunteering to teach other adults to read and write one evening a week for ten years until the charity went bust. For the first time in his life he had a home full of love and he went on to do a degree, masters & PHD but still continued to do other A levels that interested him like biology, psychology etc etc. He was the chairman of the institute of management.
His family (my mum, my sister & I) were his life.
He was so loved, such a loving man but also very tall and strong, certainly not someone you messed with lol. He was the corner stone to our family.

He was dragged up, they was unbelievably poor, he was beaten and spat on, lived with other relatives for 3 years yet this never effected his later life. He turned his life around completely.
In the hospice one of the carers burst out crying when she saw my dad, he had taught her read and write and passed on the passion for education and learning and she said she had always remembered him and was forever great full to him.

My dads greatest achievement was not letting his childhood ruin his life. He was tremendously proud of my sister and I and loved his grandchildren with all his heart.
you win sounds like a complete gent, hat suitably doffed

as for the OP

my daughter, she is smart,caring, funny, loyal , talented and makes me smile every day..

me , im just a bloke doing his best* for his family

* and sometimes messing up
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mine would be joining the police force at a time when recrutiment was frozen and they were only hand selecting the top 10% of applicants, I did all that with a 3 year old and a 5 month old baby very proud of myself.

( I have since left but its still the biggest achievement of my life)

Others include going back to college recently whilst working full time and gaining my level 4 in business administartion i nearly gave up so many times but I didn't.

Buying my first home at age 18
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23

Edited at 11:49 AM.
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

All these achievements are, awe inspiring what a great thread
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

I left school with only a few CSE's and according to my careers teacher would only end up on a building site or in the slipper factories of which there were an abundance!

Move swiftly on I enrolled on a YTS at an Information Technology Center (Itec) where I gained qualifications in Electronics and Computer Programming. I was the only YTS they ever employed full time and 2 years later I was providing talks at a local careers fair that my old careers teacher was at. My boss explained to him that I was one of the best students he had ever had and that my ambition just needed a prod in the right direction. One in the eye for the careers teacher. I,m now a National Contracts Manager in a Tech Based Firm.

Also helping my DW through a very difficult pregnancy with DD who had the real prospect of Hydrocephalus. Luckily she was born perfect and growing into a well mannered, gorgeous young lady.

Marrying my soul mate and having the above DD and DS who is about to go have his Uni Interview for an independent film making degree.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
First boyfriend at 18 and still together now at 30

Proud of having a 10lb boy 🤣

Bought our first home and overpaying our mortgage repayments

Lost 8 stone

Ran a marathon in 4:44 and a 40 mile ultra marathon in 9:45

Currently training for a sub 4 marathon on April 5th

Next achievement would be buying our forever home and one day (hopefully soon) get married!

Edited at 04:45 PM.
louiseybobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List