Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Feb 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

New Orleans via Atlanta

Hi, we are sailing out of New Orleans next Feb for the DCL Panama. canal.
We want to get the flights done in a day and use PE Virgin miles etc.
Looks like via Atlanta is doable as it leaves and arrives earlier than most US Virgin flights.
How long do you recommend we give for the stopover, bearing in mind customs, the airport and that I like a lot of wiggle room or I stress!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Hi, we are sailing out of New Orleans next Feb for the DCL Panama. canal.
We want to get the flights done in a day and use PE Virgin miles etc.
Looks like via Atlanta is doable as it leaves and arrives earlier than most US Virgin flights.
How long do you recommend we give for the stopover, bearing in mind customs, the airport and that I like a lot of wiggle room or I stress!
Hi Sandra

As you know we just did exactly this. Most of the flights from UK to MSY looked to have best timings through ATL.

You may not get options for the stopover but I’d look for a minimum of 2 hrs 30.

We had 3 hrs 40 and it was far longer than I’d want - especially given the final flight was only 50 mins

Basically we arrived into ATL a bit early
Immigration took 10-15 mins
Bag collection and customs 5 mins
Reentering security to get on train was very disorganised and that was perhaps 15-20 (but shouldn’t have been)
Then train onwards, could have gone straight to gate in five mins

I really recommend a restaurant called One Flew South (there are photos on my FB) which is award winning and wonderful.
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Sandra

As you know we just did exactly this. Most of the flights from UK to MSY looked to have best timings through ATL.

You may not get options for the stopover but I’d look for a minimum of 2 hrs 30.

We had 3 hrs 40 and it was far longer than I’d want - especially given the final flight was only 50 mins

Basically we arrived into ATL a bit early
Immigration took 10-15 mins
Bag collection and customs 5 mins
Reentering security to get on train was very disorganised and that was perhaps 15-20 (but shouldn’t have been)
Then train onwards, could have gone straight to gate in five mins

I really recommend a restaurant called One Flew South (there are photos on my FB) which is award winning and wonderful.
Thanks Karen!
This is really good.
Who did you fly with?
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Karen!
This is really good.
Who did you fly with?
Booked with Virgin. We actually flew Flybe to Manchester from Exeter, VA from Manchester to Atlanta and Delta onward to MSY.

I think if you book through VA(miles or cash) Delta will be the default onward flight from Atlanta?
Old 29 Feb 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I have done this with an hour layover, but if given a choice I would prefer at least a 2 hour layover. It is a large airport and you may need to get the train to a different terminal for the connection.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
I have done this with an hour layover, but if given a choice I would prefer at least a 2 hour layover. It is a large airport and you may need to get the train to a different terminal for the connection.
Outbound with an hour layover? Does that even meet the MCT?

Inbound would be fine as long as the first flight was on time. I remember once having 90 minutes but our MCO to ATL flight was delayed by an hour ... didn’t enjoy the run through the airport 😂
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Yep, maybe 1.hr 10 but we made it.
The internal flights can be late too. We missed our transatlantic flight with a 90min layover as our internal flight was delayed by 90mins due to a tech fault...
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
Yep, maybe 1.hr 10 but we made it.
The internal flights can be late too. We missed our transatlantic flight with a 90min layover as our internal flight was delayed by 90mins due to a tech fault...
Crikey that would be too tight for me! We had a 58 minute connection at IAD once, and somehow made it through immigration, customs, security and to the Orlando flight on time - but I spent most of the first flight wondering if we’d make it! (It was Christmas Day and the next flight was five hours later).
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Booked with Virgin. We actually flew Flybe to Manchester from Exeter, VA from Manchester to Atlanta and Delta onward to MSY.

I think if you book through VA(miles or cash) Delta will be the default onward flight from Atlanta?
Yes, we were hoping there might be a deal to be had! TBH your 3.5 suits me in case of delays, we have been delayed an hour our last three flights.
I note you said bag collection, does that mean you have to recheck bags for the second leg? They send them on through?
Old 29 Feb 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, we were hoping there might be a deal to be had! TBH your 3.5 suits me in case of delays, we have been delayed an hour our last three flights.
I note you said bag collection, does that mean you have to recheck bags for the second leg? They send them on through?
Yes, because Atlanta is the first airport when you enter the USA.

It was really easy. We got the suitcases, walked a few hundred yards to get to customs but didn’t have to stop or have anything checked at all. You then walk round the corner and drop off the suitcases. Then into security and onwards to the train.

You seriously can’t go wrong