Charcoal 123 48.81%
Neither /don’t have a bbq 46 18.25%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Aug 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Barbeque

Ok, DH suddenly says that next year we’ll get a gas bbq, now we had one a few years back and used it once before giving it away, we currently have a charcoal bbq which I prefer but tbh we rarely used as we tend to eat indoors and it’s quicker to use the grill/frying pan and it’s just the 2 of us...
Anyway DH says gas bbqs are more popular than charcoal... so which do you prefer?

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Basset
Imagineer

Charcoal give a better taste but takes a lot longer , worth the effort if it's a larger group but if just a couple of you the gas quicker and easier. You can use smoking wood chips to get a smokey taste that the charcoal gives you.

As with most things.. pros and cons to both options.
Basset is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Charcoal all the way.

Brings out my inner caveman.

Disney332
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Would love charcoal but only two of us and we wouldn’t bother with it so gas with wood chips for us. Quick to us, easy to clean.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lumiere
Trying for More Ears

I was ever the advocate for charcoal BBQ's but after having a gas one, I much prefer how easy it is to just fire up and use it, far better for those summer evenings after work when you just fancy a quick BBQ
Lumiere is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Shame theres no poll choice for both.

We have a gas BBQ right now but its rubbish, the grill gets to temperature but doesn't retain its temperature so you don't get very good active grilling, instead everything bakes. It is however convenient, can be left on for a long time, can be fired up for pre/post grill cleaning.

My old webber kettle bbq was really good, we had a chimney starter so it was easy and relatively quick to fire up but when you were done it was a faff to put out and the residual heat was always a concern with the dog. Once I had learned how to cook with it, it was however great to use, but took a bit of planning as to what you were cooking as to how to set up the coals for hot/cooler areas and air flow.

If I could I'd have one of the green egg BBQ's but with price and convenience a major factor I'll stick to gas
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a green egg (a small one for my verandah) and it works really well for me - quick and easy like my old gas b b q but advantages of food tasting like cooked on traditional BBQ.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

We bought a chargrill BBQ from home bargains for £19 its amazing. It takes around 20 mins if that to heat up. Whilst its heating up I get the snacks/food prep ready. I find the food cooks quicker than the grill. In the mood for a bbq now pity its raining 😂
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Charcoal, may be different if we lived somewhere worth having an outdoor kitchen.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Charcoal, we have had both and think Charcoal tastes better x