Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Feb 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Favourite 5 things to do on Pacific Coast Highway ( or drive from San fran to LA)

So doing a feasibility study on a trip to New York for a few days then flying to Vegas to start a road trip through Death Valley to Yosemite to San Fran and down the Pacific coast highway before flying home

For each place / area , I will be asking for your 5 favourite / must do things
Having got such good responses on the San Francisco one here
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1158714
and here for Yosemite
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1158936
It is now the turn of THE PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY - or anything on the drive from San Fran to LA

So please put your favourite 5 things to do, in ranking order if possible
It would be useful if you could put an approx time required , and approx cost per person

If there is anything you think is over-hyped or a waste of money , please let me know

And anything that was a bit of a little known gem that you were really glad you did

Looking forward to all your suggestions
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 11:45 AM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Hi
I can't think of 5 as its been a few years, but top of my list would be Hearst Castle. You'd need to allow a few hours to visit but we really found it fascinating.

Ruth

Edited at 05:54 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

From a start in San Francisco...

1. Monterey for Cannery Row, Aquarium and most of all... A Whale Watch. Monterey Bay Whale Watch did it admirably for us!

2. A night at the restrained, classy and sombre Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo. Half way between Monterey and LA.

3. A picnic on Big Sur, possibly at Partington Point. Astonishing scenery and if the Gray Whales are migrating North.. There is always a chance of a sighting.

4 Hearst Castle. A place of legends and built totally without budget. As a freebie bonus, the Elephant Seals of San Simeon are pretty much in front.

5. Hope it counts and depending on how you enter LA.. The Reagan Library in the Simi Valley. A fitting and spectacular tribute to ‘The Gipper’.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:44 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Looking forward to reading more replies on this as we’re going next month!

Cornishfrogboy’s trip report makes for excellent reading and you’ll get some good tips from it. For what it’s worth (and considering we haven’t been yet!) the things we have planned:
1. Monterey (whale watching is on the list) and a visit to Carmel to check out 17 mile drive
2. Walk to the viewpoint for McWay falls and lunch at Nepenthe
3. Hearst castle and the San Simeon seals
4. A visit to Solvang which I heard someone describe as Disney-like!
5. A visit to Santa Barbara (apparently the Americans go on holiday here) then a visit to the Ronald Regan library on the way to Burbank.

We’re also doing Warner Brothers studio tour and a visit to Disney before going on to San Diego.

Good luck with your planning
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Looking forward to reading more replies on this as we’re going next month!

Cornishfrogboy’s trip report makes for excellent reading and you’ll get some good tips from it. For what it’s worth (and considering we haven’t been yet!) the things we have planned:
1. Monterey (whale watching is on the list) and a visit to Carmel to check out 17 mile drive
2. Walk to the viewpoint for McWay falls and lunch at Nepenthe
3. Hearst castle and the San Simeon seals
4. A visit to Solvang which I heard someone describe as Disney-like!
5. A visit to Santa Barbara (apparently the Americans go on holiday here) then a visit to the Ronald Regan library on the way to Burbank.

We’re also doing Warner Brothers studio tour and a visit to Disney before going on to San Diego.

Good luck with your planning
You are very kind. I loved that vacation. Our next at Easter is to mop up what we missed due to the mudslide in 2018.

California is a wonderful State and for me, the jewel in the crown is San Diego.

I notice that you are now just 34 days from your trip. Please, please, please do a trip report as I am fascinated to see how you get on!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

From North to South, I’m sorry I can’t pick a favourite. Also I’m rubbish at keeping it to 5 things!

A stop at Santa Cruz (Lost Boys was filmed there)
Walk down the pier to see the Sealions and go to the Boardwalk funfair

At least 1 or 2 nights in Monterey for Whale Watching, Carmel and 17 Mile Drive. If you’ve watched Big Little Lies you’ll recognise loads of places.
I would recommend staying in Pacific Grove, just stunning

Garrapata State Beach but if only time for one then definitely Pfeiffer Beach instead

Something to eat at Cafe Kevah (stunning views)

Elephant Seals at San Simeon

Solvang is a fun and quirky Danish town which is good for a stopover after a day of driving the PCH

At least an afternoon in Santa Barbara. We went Paddleboarding/kayaking which was great fun

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Casey12
Proud to wear my Ears

We loved the who,e journey 🤣
1.Monterey, whale watching, aquarium, eating. We spent 2 nights here, could have spent 3 easily.
2. Big Sur
3 Santa Barbara
4 Solvang
5 We drove along the coast from San Francisco, stopping at Baker beach and Santa Cruz It was a fab drive
P.s. we travelled with no kids.
Just remember it takes a lot longer than google maps says it does 😄 especially true after arriving at Avila Beach at 6pm instead of 3
Casey12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Casey12
Proud to wear my Ears

I totally agree with Smithlane especially Santa Barbara, we really wished we had a night there. It was lovely.
Casey12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Golly , just logged on
Some great sounding suggestions
Off to do some research 😀

Keep them coming though
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Casey12 View Post
I totally agree with Smithlane especially Santa Barbara, we really wished we had a night there. It was lovely.
We really wished we’d added a night here too.
Too much to see and not enough time!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List