Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Feb 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by f1girly View Post
We got the 8am slot in August as well, most advice I can think of has already been mentioned, but must add that the actual viewing platform in the crown is very small, 6 people at most, i believe they only sell 40 tickets per hour slot.

We went straight up those stairs when we got there and were on our own in the crown for a good 10mins before anyone else appeared, so leave looking at the information boards for on the way down I'd say. The staff at the top were really friendly and said the Brits were always first up the stairs! The previous day it got to 110deg by midday in the crown It was an amazing experience, enjoy!
That sounds great just having us up there! Can I ask did you walk all the way or get the lift to the pedestal (if that's even possible) then walk to the crown?
Thanks
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

We walked all the way up, 350 odd steps DH seems to remember, there was a little lift that went up to 2/3 the way up, but from memory it was for emergencies only. Maybe it could be used for less mobile people, but you certainly wouldn't be buying Crown tickets if you weren't confident on the spiral stairs.

Hopefully I've linked a clip that will help you.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ynwa2009 View Post
That sounds great just having us up there! Can I ask did you walk all the way or get the lift to the pedestal (if that's even possible) then walk to the crown?
Thanks
We got the lift to the pedastal, it wasn't huge, maybe 10-12 people, it's a "normal" staircase up to the pedastal and didn't seem too bad, I dropped my gloves in that area and chose to walk up to collect them.

We were a bit worried about the spiral stairs to the crown, pushing 60, smokers and not that athletic, but it was fine, there are gaps that you could step into, to catch your breath or let some faster walkers get past. I found coming down more awkward than going up but so glad we did it.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Thanks both, I thought I read you could get a lift to the pedastal but wasn't sure, just wondered what most people did.

I'd like to think we are quiet fit, we cycle and run, so hopefully we will be ok
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Once you go through the secondary security and put your bags in a locker if going to the crown you go through the foyer (which in itself is beautifully panelled and of its time, with a torch model in the middle). You go up visible shallow steps at the back of the hall, at the back left is the staircase to the pedestal and the crown.

To the right of the stairs is a small roped off section for the lift. The lift is very small. I would say 5 people or so. It is an operated lift so you have to wait for the lift operator to arrive and it isn't always quick. I was in the first lift up of the day (bad knee) my DH and kids made it up to the pedestal up the stairs before I did.

When you come out of the lift or the stairwell, you will be ushered across the very narrow base out to the pedestal walk around.

There are some lovely views from here. If you look up as you come out of the lift you can see the spiral stairs going up to the crown and you are let up there in small groups when the crown opens. There is a small glass panel so you can have a nosy at the internal structure of lady liberty even if not going up the crown.

I walked back down the stairs. They were fine going down!

When you go down there is a well travelled route out. It is not reversible, so if you go past something you can only go on not back, even if you end up outside the restricted area by mistake.

Do take time to go out to the base of the pedestal patio area.
You get some excellent views of the SOL from there. The ones of the SOL itself are not so good from the top pedestal area as angles are quite tight. The base patio of the pedestal has the best angles and is relatively quiet compared to the non-crown / pedestal area of the island.

Even if you don't fancy the crown, or others reading this don't fancy the crown I would strongly recommend the pedestal, it's accessible and such good value for access to an iconic attraction.

Edited at 08:53 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This is all interesting info. We’ve got crown tickets booked for May! 👍🏻

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List