Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile Post-radiotherapy suntan cream suggestions

Could anybody recommend a suntan lotion for particularly sensitive skin?

I’m due to start radiotherapy in the next 3 weeks and while I’m trying to prep my skin I’m expecting it to become sore. I plan on keeping the area as covered as possible but just in case anyone had any recommendations. My oncologist has given me one created by a consultant but it has poor reviews which is putting me off spending so much money. TIA
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

I have used ultrasun-just advice for the radiotherapy make sure you use plenty of aloe Vera and moisturise more than you think! My skin split and got infected, due to not applying enough.
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I just use normal sunscreen, high factor.

Good luck with the radiotherapy, I used Aveeno (the blue one for really dry skin) and was lucky to get away with just pink skin and itching towards the end of the treatment.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Good luck with your rads, my skin did burn black and then peeled when I had mine, it wasn't pleasant at the time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I also used Aveeno as it was most recommended by the McMillan nurses & radiotherapists. It did take a long time for the redness to disappear though.
One tip I was given, was to put the cream on, immediately after treatment - before you get dressed & also, wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes. I found the Souluxe sports range from Matalan to be good for this.
Hope your treatment goes well. X
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you all. I’ve been using aveeno twice a day and bought some aloe Vera gel. I’m just nervous with it being so close to my trip although my consultant is trying to get me in earlier than planned. I’m a nurse so can manage the burns and any wounds but, it’s knowing I could come out the other side unscathed with some good preparation and wishful thinking!

I’ve even bought long sleeve swimsuits just in case it’s all okay and I can enjoy the water parks.

I’ll grab some ultra sun and my normal sunscreen (I’m a high factor user anyway) and hopefully will be fine. Failing that, I’ll just end up with the whole selection from Walmart.

Thank you again!
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Not related to sun as such, but I had extremely sore burned skin on the underside of my breast after radiotherapy. An aloe vera gel which is as near to 100% Aloe is so good. I was in so much pain and this started working from the first application, such a relief! I got one from Holland and Barratt which was 99.9% aloe, the other percent being tea tree oil.
Good luck for everything.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mackenzies03 View Post
Thank you all. I’ve been using aveeno twice a day and bought some aloe Vera gel. I’m just nervous with it being so close to my trip although my consultant is trying to get me in earlier than planned. I’m a nurse so can manage the burns and any wounds but, it’s knowing I could come out the other side unscathed with some good preparation and wishful thinking!

I’ve even bought long sleeve swimsuits just in case it’s all okay and I can enjoy the water parks.

I’ll grab some ultra sun and my normal sunscreen (I’m a high factor user anyway) and hopefully will be fine. Failing that, I’ll just end up with the whole selection from Walmart.

Thank you again!
Apply your sunscreen very liberally and often. I read somewhere that most of us don’t put enough on and then we don’t top it up enough. Even the ‘all-day’ creams.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

My dermatologist recommended Altruist to me which has been created by a dermatologist. It gets great reviews on Amazon.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Aveeno also make a high factor sunscreen you can get it on Amazon
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List