Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just to reiterate, they are doing this purely as a precaution. It does not mean that they have COVID-19.

As for being pandemic, it seems WHO is trying to move away from the term. One could argue COVID-19 is already pandemic, but it's a bit of a meaningless term to the public. Seasonal flu has infected far, far more people than COVID-19 and killed many, many more than COVID-19 has, and yet it isn't considered a pandemic.
I agree, and also the risks to most people are very low - it’s the elderly and immune compromised that are at risk.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Seems the press are still banging on about Disease X and the impending Doomsday when it comes to the Coronavirus or SARS-Covid19, scaremongering to the extreme, it's just another glorified Flu, it currently has a 2% mortality rate (Mainly in the extremely young, already ill or frail/elderly), actually less than the average mortality rate of yearly influenza outbreaks on a global scale, which usually accounts for three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths globally, yet when we get the flu it's a bundle of laughs, few days off work, some hot toddies, soup and bob's your uncle.

Now, I do agree with the need to study the virus and hopefully develop a future vaccination, the procedures we are taking to try and limit the spread with screening and correct quarantine is also a good route, but people screaming "The end is now!" are the ones who should be quarantined, or should I say sectioned, it's also sickening to see the amount of racial hatred that has developed in certain communities and newspaper comment sections relating to this outbreak, the worlds has turned into a very strange place, a hell of a lot of people seem to scare very easily but then quickly want to point the finger of blame/shame without knowing the true facts, having lived and worked in China for over 5-years I for one think it gets a very bad rap from the press and little Englanders who've probably never made it beyond Brighton beach.

Edited at 05:53 PM.
Do5-BaG is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
Seems the press are still banging on about Disease X and the impending Doomsday when it comes to the Coronavirus or SARS-Covid19, scaremongering to the extreme, it's just another glorified Flu, it currently has a 2% mortality rate (Mainly in the extremely young, already ill or frail/elderly), actually less than the average mortality rate of yearly influenza outbreaks on a global scale, which usually accounts for three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths globally, yet when we get the flu it's a bundle of laughs, few days off work, some hot toddies, soup and bob's your uncle.

Now, I do agree with the need to study the virus and hopefully develop a future vaccination, the procedures we are taking to try and limit the spread with screening and correct quarantine is also a good route, but people screaming "The end is now!" are the ones who should be quarantined, or should I say sectioned, it's also sickening to see the amount of racial hatred that has developed in certain communities and newspaper comment sections relating to this outbreak, the worlds has turned into a very strange place, a hell of a lot of people seem to scare very easily but then quickly want to point the finger of blame/shame without knowing the true facts, having lived and worked in China for over 5-years I for one think it gets a very bad rap from the press and little Englanders who've probably never made it beyond Brighton beach.
So if it’s no more than the Flu, why are countries quarantining whole areas? surely national governments aren’t doing that because of ‘The Press’ just my opinion but I think there’s something they aren’t telling us?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
One of the schools in our area has closed for a deep clean.
yourharlow/2020/02/2...orthern-italy/
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
So if it’s no more than the Flu, why are countries quarantining whole areas? surely national governments aren’t doing that because of ‘The Press’ just my opinion but I think there’s something they aren’t telling us?
This is the part that puzzles me as well. I wonder if it's because it's highly infectious. Or maybe they are worried the virus will mutate to something more dangerous.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but something dosnt add up...

yes it seems to be infectious but with a low mortality rate, hence how well it spreads, if it was a high mortality it wouldnt spread as quick ?

as you say its not hysterical people or the press its authorities deeming it necessary to cordon off whole towns etc
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It may be that if lots of people catch it, it will overwhelm health services everywhere and it will also have huge implications for economies all over the world. Also, lots of people get the flu vaccine every year so have a certain immunity to it, whereas there isn’t yet a vaccine for this.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

From what I understand, the mortality rate from the flu is .01% and the COVID19 is 2.2% (as far as we know currently). That's 220 times more. COVID19 is also extremely contagious.
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Stop with the implied conspiracy theories. They aren't hiding anything.

They're quarantining areas to stop the virus from spreading. I think that's pretty clear. It's a new virus, which we currently don't have a vaccine for and we humans don't have immunity to. That means it potentially has a higher mortality rate (although, as WHO says, we can't yet define the actual mortality rate because it's too soon and there isn't enough data - but it does seem to be higher than flu). They don't want this new virus spreading like, say, the flu virus does. Because if it did become as widespread as the flu then potentially it could lead to many more deaths than flu causes.

However, at the moment, the amount of people infected by, and the amount that have died from, COVID-19 is extremely tiny compared to the numbers of people who are infected and die from flu every single year. The national governments want to keep it that way. Hence the quarantines.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:50 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

A school in my area has closed due to returning from skiing in Italy and my daughters school has just returned from skiing in Austria but travelled into northern italy. Its getting a little bit real. They wouldn't close if only one child and one member of staff remained haha
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List