Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Sometimes alternative opinions and thoughts are frowned upon
🤭👍
Seems like they are on this topic Tink 🤐🤐
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I DO NOT believe in conspiracy theories but equally, my faith in governments worldwide not to simply focus on the economics rather than the wider issues, has for many a year been knocked.

The issue that this is not more dangerous, is, IMHO, irrelevant, because the issue is not of the danger but the spread and speed of the infection and the danger to those immunocompromised, which is pretty much the case with flu as well, although that does affect healthy individuals as well.

The recent cases in Italy are a little worrying. Do I trust the EU governments to contain this, probably more than I do those countries who rely on secrets and no exposure to the global press?

I am not unduly worried but it is concerning and I think it would be naive not to take sensible precautions and by that I mean the hygiene standards we should all be using 100% of the time. I have seen people in many countries, including the UK not wash hands post the toilet, sneeze and cough over others, use hankies rather than tissues. This is everyone's responsibility, not just health workers.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

I will admit I am concerned, Cheshire is only a hop skip and a jump away from us. I truly hope none of the youngsters are affected.
My daughter has the flu jab every year as it would most likely kill her. Just the common cold or a sick bug make her incredibly poorly and often ends up in hospital care in drips. So this new virus is terrifying for us.
At the time of SARs etc our daughter was not even born so like most people now we took it with warning but not overly concerned. Now we know this new virus could potentially kill our daughter we are obviously more cautious and reading the news daily regarding it.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Sometimes alternative opinions and thoughts are frowned upon
🤭👍
You mean, like mine? (It does go both ways, you know)

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I will admit I am concerned, Cheshire is only a hop skip and a jump away from us.
My parents, sisters, uncles and aunties live in Northwich. It’s my home town. And, like you, I’m just a stone’s throw away from Cheshire. I am also slightly concerned.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
as you say its not hysterical people or the press its authorities deeming it necessary to cordon off whole towns etc
Condoning off whole towns is standard procedure and nothing new. So it’s not surprising authorities have deemed it necessary.

It’s people’s overreactions to these actions that are sometimes bordering on hysterical (not here in this thread I should add - but elsewhere on social media). The constant bombardment of every little piece of news by the press, plus some of the emotive language sometimes used, doesn’t help and feeds this hysteria.

All in my opinion, of course.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm a little tired of hearing it's only killing the very young, the weak and the elderly as if that's OK then.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I will admit I am concerned, Cheshire is only a hop skip and a jump away from us. I truly hope none of the youngsters are affected.
My daughter has the flu jab every year as it would most likely kill her. Just the common cold or a sick bug make her incredibly poorly and often ends up in hospital care in drips. So this new virus is terrifying for us.
At the time of SARs etc our daughter was not even born so like most people now we took it with warning but not overly concerned. Now we know this new virus could potentially kill our daughter we are obviously more cautious and reading the news daily regarding it.
We are in the same position my son age 14 is on immunosuppressant drugs.

The spread of this virus is frightening.

On that cruise ship it spread faster than norovirus and much faster than any flu.

Old 26 Feb 20, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I'm a little tired of hearing it's only killing the very young, the weak and the elderly as if that's OK then.
If it helps, I've read that there have been zero confirmed cases of COVID19 in ages 0-9.
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

my dd school in Lowestoft as well
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Mobile

I live in Nantwich and work in Sandbach, I would prefer every caution to be put in to place to stop any spread.
The past 3 winters I’ve had flu, the worst being Aussie flu which then added a chest infection, tonsillitis and a month of steroids for my asthma.
Flu is no joke.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List