Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Feb 20, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
JAMES77
New Poster (3)

Rental via USA sites & CDW Insurance

If you use one of the USA Rental sites to hire a vehicle, how do you arrange appropriate insurance cover? Can you take the appropriate CDW cover out at the desk? Is this costly? Or can you purchase an online policy in the UK which the rental companies will accept?
JAMES77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

CDW through the rental companies directly is costly. You often hear of UK customers who have a "free" car as part of a package holiday arriving to find they need to pay for CDW. Theres also the other coverage you'll need such as Extended Protection to $1 million (SLI) and then everything is subject to local taxes and airport taxes... In short, its a bad idea.

Stick with packages through UK brokers / websites where everything is included, direct with the rental company so if you are unfortunate to be involved in an accident / damage / theft, you have nothing to worry about and no hassle.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The US rates are only good for US residents who are covered by their own car insurance or credit cards for CDW. The UK rates are usually a much better deal if you need insurance. Even as a US resident I have booked through a UK site in the past.
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

James - per your last car hire thread I recommend you approach Andy at DFCH (post 2). I concur with Donna, US rates are generally aimed at US citizens who use their car insurance vs the supplier. I hold car insurance on our Fl motor but don't use for my one day/one way drop off to/from the airport, it's cheaper to hire from a UK agent.
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
James

After hiring a car on all of our 36 visits to Florida I can only echo what everyone else has said.

I've been on the DIBB for nearly 16 years and I've seen posters proudly saying that they saved £20 by refusing the CDW and SLI and taking out their own. Don't get me wrong - it can be done as a handful of Dibbers may testify. However around 6 months ago someone proudly posted on here that they'd saving a shilling or two by taking out some policy which he linked on here. A 5 minute word search showed that SLI was EXCLUDED. In my opinion that's the most important one.

You should give Andy at DFCH a try. Used him five times in last three years. There's an offer on Alamo Max at the minute if they are cheapest with Andy (he offers more than Alamo) - they were for me a couple of weeks ago. You can do on line check-in with them and avoid the terminal counter and any upselling risk. 10 minute job to fill a form in with D/L details and simply print a bar code. The only way to go.

Mick
Old 27 Feb 20, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
James

After hiring a car on all of our 36 visits to Florida I can only echo what everyone else has said.

I've been on the DIBB for nearly 16 years and I've seen posters proudly saying that they saved £20 by refusing the CDW and SLI and taking out their own. Don't get me wrong - it can be done as a handful of Dibbers may testify. However around 6 months ago someone proudly posted on here that they'd saving a shilling or two by taking out some policy which he linked on here. A 5 minute word search showed that SLI was EXCLUDED. In my opinion that's the most important one.

You should give Andy at DFCH a try. Used him five times in last three years. There's an offer on Alamo Max at the minute if they are cheapest with Andy (he offers more than Alamo) - they were for me a couple of weeks ago. You can do on line check-in with them and avoid the terminal counter and any upselling risk. 10 minute job to fill a form in with D/L details and simply print a bar code. The only way to go.

Mick
Agreed Gadgey Mick, I find it easier/cheaper with a UK agent as they include necessary insurances.

Comparison; Budget US, $67 using my US car insurance, Budget UK, £35 including insurances and spouse as extra driver, hmm, decisions eh