Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Pre teen -yellow teeth

My son, Aged 12, has become very conscious of his teeth and how yellow they are. He has very good oral hygiene, brushes twice per day with an electric toothbrush, he brushes straight after meals and doesn't drink very much juice/squash.

However, he does have daily yellow. We use a very good private dentist who we have spoken to about this. She doesn't have any concerns for his teeth, says he brushes well and that his teeth are naturally that colour. She did do a small scale and polish last visit which did improve the whiteness for a short time.

Is there anything we can do at home to promote whitening? I am not sure whitening toothpaste is a good idea due to his age?
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
davdawnbro
Getting Excited

Mobile

My 13 yr old had brown spots on his teeth, we were referred by our nhs dentist to the dental hospital who said it was genetics and no amount of brushing would get rid of it so they gave him a weeks worth of whitening treatment.

After 3 days we had to stop because his teeth were very sensitive but the whitening had worked, thankfully the sensitivity went away after a few days.

I would ask your dentist if this was possible in your area. I just told them how conscious he was of it when smiling in photos and that it had been remarked on by some kids at school.
davdawnbro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Charcoal activated toothpaste whitens them a bit, my DD uses it , it does make a difference, she is 15, it’s about 6 quid a tube , sometimes it’s on offer.
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
davdawnbro
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Charcoal activated toothpaste whitens them a bit, my DD uses it , it does make a difference, she is 15, it’s about 6 quid a tube , sometimes it’s on offer.

Don’t know if it’s any good but Superdrug do their own make charcoal toothpaste and powders and they are cheap as chips :-)
davdawnbro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

When my kids were younger they used a kids mouth wash. This made their teeth go a bit yellow, not sure why? The dentist didn’t know why either but once they stopped using it their teeth went back to white! Weird! Not saying it’s that cos you don’t mention mouthwash but thought I’d mention it anyway.

Also, he shouldn’t be brushing straight after meals as that can strip the enamel and show the yellow underneath. Would be better to chew some sugar free gum.

Hope you get sorted cos I know how preteens get self conscious. 👍🏻

Kat

Edited at 08:54 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I would leave it for now and just monitor things

The reason I say this is our Son drank milk like there was no tomorrow!
The Dentist said his teeth were very hard but yellowed due to the calcium.

As soon as was about 18 ish he had the teeth whitening tray.
One dose and it looked like he had a light on in his mouth

12 years later his teeth are still pure white.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jonathan
VIP Dibber

Next time you go to Florida pickup the colgate whitening toothpaste, it is stronger than the UK version!

---
44 trips from 2000 onwards.
jonathan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My youngest is 11 and her teeth are quite yellow, dentist says it's just one of those things sometimes happens, her dad says it's down to his genes cos his teeth are yellowish, she isn't conscious of it yet so we just keep up with the brushing, interesting what Mr T said above cos she drinks a lot of milk and I think in a former life she was a mouse cos she loves cheese
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

My teeth were never white, although I brushed twice daily. They were always a creamy yellow colour and at 65 I still have them all so they were strong enough.

Here is an interesting section from the Healthline website. See the full article on the link below

“Charcoal toothpaste is too abrasive for everyday use. Using a material that’s too abrasive on your teeth can wear down your enamel. This may make your teeth look more yellow by exposing the dentin, a calcified yellow tissue. It can also make your teeth more sensitive.”

That quote is taken from
healthline/health/de...thpaste#safety
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

My sons are the same, our dentist said that his teeth are 100% OK and that's it's down to the enamel on his teeth (or lack off) which is due to him having an oral disease when he was 18 months old, it's killed off a lot of the enamel and also left some patches on his teeth. He said when he is older if he wants the patches removed they would scrape them out then fill them but he said he has to be 16 I think (might have said 18!) but with regards to the yellowness he said NOT to use a whitening toothpaste at his age as it could damage what enamel he has left and that will leave him with super sensitive teeth.

He said we can re-assess options when he is older and / or gets more conscious about it.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List