Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Feb 20, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

All you can do is be polite when asking the other passenger to allow you out of your seat. I can fully understand the reasoning behind wanting to sit next to your partner and why shouldn't you. A trip to the toilet on the flight is just one of those things, anyone that has booked the aisle seat should understand this and that they will have to allow you both out to go to the toilet. Don't feel guilty about it and certainly don't try to sit through it, you will end up ill, not a pleasant start to a holiday.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 04:54 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

My mam also has a digestive condition and she doesn’t eat normally on travel day. She never touches the food on board because she has no way of knowing what’s in it and learned years ago that it always disagreed with her. She brings her own small snacks on board of foods that agree with her and eats little and often throughout the flight and keeps hydrated to avoid digesting big meals. She also eats light the day before and morning before boarding to slow down her digestive system. This is not because of seating issues but for her own comfort. Would you consider adjusting your diet for you own comfort too? I can’t imagine it will be comfortable having a flare up on an airplane. I know they can’t always be avoided but anything you could do to avoid one would be a good idea because as you know stress is a cause of flare ups.

I would also call them and see what they can do for you. Aside from seating, there’s always the risk of a toilet going out of service during the flight (happened on our way over last year) and queues forming at the toilets or the possibility of bad turbulence making the toilets off limits for extended periods. Toilets are also off limits for a while after take off and before landing. Anything you can do to avoid a flare should give you additional peace of mind. And for the reasons others have stated I would never chance taking a middle and window and hoping the aisle will be empty or the other person willl move. We travel as a couple mostly and the person in the aisle beside us is almost always with the party in the centre seats on Orlando flights. Plus it just adds so much stress and worry on you leading up to the holiday and on travel day. Best to sort it now. Also consider bringing your own supplies like wet wipes, hand sanitiser because the airplane bathrooms can run out on a long haul flight. If you think you really will be up every 5 minutes you might even consider wearing a protective pad for the flight to reduce the fear of accidents.

If you’re going to Disney I believe they would be able to give you assistance too if you can’t queue normally I.e would have to leave the queue to use the facilities.

Edited at 05:07 AM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Them two seats at the back are all gone only seats available are in the middle if I cant change the seats and I have a flair up and the persons asleep next to me what do I do? Do I try waking them up in the hope I can or try not to **** myself
Why would you not be able to wake them? I’d more concerned if I couldn’t! The person who has booked this seat will be very aware that they need to get up and let you out.
To be honest I’m not sure what you thought would happen? There are often parties split by an aisle. Unfortunately a lot of aircraft are not well designed for parties of 2. It’s one of the reasons we like PE with Virgin.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Just a thought, Could you not book bulk head seats so you have no-one in front of you, So you can get up and down as often as you need.

I am not saying everyone should do the same but I know exactly what I need before I book my flight, Just like you say Jen takes a course to help with her being anxious to fly. So being proactive so you dont have to encounter these hurdles on what is already a stressful time with flights.

My husband is 6ft 4in, I suffer irritable legs and my goodness do the drive me mad when they wont stop moving, I also hate people reclining their seat onto me makes me feel closed in.
So when booking my flights the only seats I will book are extra leg room seats (bulk head) so no-one is in front of me so I can get up and down from my seat without disturbing anyone, I also do not have to worry about anyone reclining onto me. If none are available I then look at premier, Failing that I then look at other flights.
I factor the extra cost into our holiday.

I would never take a risk when I know how I am on a flight. Yes its horrible for yourself that you have this condition but the reality is it is very hard for airlines to keep empty seats and you gambled on this.

I am not trying to sound harsh just trying to help in the future so that you dont have these worries in the future.
Have you looked to see if there are any extra leg room seats available ? As these could work well for you.

I hope you manage to get this sorted not only for yourself, But the the passenger that has also prebooked their aisle seat as I am sure you dont want to be disturbing them every 5 mins as I am sure they would not want to be disturbed every 5 mins.

Edited at 07:37 AM.
BirdsluvDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I agree with the others ring SA to move you to an aisle seat. Do you usually book the middle and window seat and end up with a 'free' seat? I would consider in future booking yourself into an aisle seat so you don't have this worry.
Old 27 Feb 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My DH is also a nervous flier and has to sit by a window or will not fly. I hope you get a solution, but if you let the person on the aisle know that you need to get up more frequently, they will be aware and have an understanding, if it was me on the aisle I wouldn’t mind.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys, its just very daunting ill try and give special assitance call as i discussed with my partner this morning what happens if this person has taken a sleeping pill or a big person and they get angry that im telling them to move? I will be very worried for this - i thought i'd be able to do it with how Jen is as thought it wouldn't be a busy flight due to kids in school.
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I feel your concern, and apologise, I have not read the whole thread.

Is it worth telling the check in staff or those on the customer service desk, of your issue, and asking if there is an upgrade to PE available as they are in groups of 2 i think? Given your health etc, And the additional anxiety this is causing your nervous flyer partner this could
be free ?

Disney332
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

You are on a very busy flight, currently there are only 3 sets of 3 seats left in economy so it may be difficult to get a set of three seats for the two of you. There are no sets of two left. In PE there is one window seat but the aisle is booked.

I think you need to decide who's need is more you or your wife but also phone customer assistance. Good luck.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

I've been travelling with Crohn's disease and other health issues for 20 years and most of the time managed ok. Our usual seating arrangements on the plane have me in the middle with a stranger at the end and its never been a problem.

Watch what you eat in the few days leading up to the flight and bring food with you on the plane. Just drink bottled water, nothing fizzy or alcoholic.

If you're sensible about it and take medicine like loperamide or codeine to slow or stop you going to the toilet you'll be fine. I try to bring enough medication for any possible senario to ensure I don't need to seek medical help when i'm there.

Speak to your IBD nurse or gastro team to see if they can suggest anything to help. Last year I was very sick in the few months before Florida so had an iron infusion and steroid injection the week before to give me a boost.

If you're worried about it get one of those hidden disability Sunflower lanyards for the airport.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread