Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Serious Question - deja vu

A definition is:

"Déjà vu is the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. The phrase translates literally as "already seen". Although some interpret déjà vu in a paranormal context, mainstream scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy"."

Has anyone ever had a situation(which they will admit to) where they have entered a house (or area) and had a massive feeling of familiarity, total awareness and felt contentment or sadness?

In my home town there was a particular building/area that this always occurred with me... but the feeling went further and I felt I had lived there previously as a young child. Clearly in another time. It never happened with any other building - It was a Victorian house.

I have my own theory for this, but am I alone in thinking this way? (If this is the case, should I seek help?)

Has this ever happened to you?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

I used to experience deja vu a lot. I still do occasionally but not as much as I used to. I've definitely experienced it where I've been to a place that I know I've never been to before, but the place has felt so strangely familiar that I've had to question myself as to whether I've just forgotten going there in the past, even though I know that is not the case! My deja vu is more often a conversation or situation that I'm in though, and I know what will happen next or how the rest of the conversation will go, word for word. It has happened even when it is a situation I've never been in before, or when I've spoke to people I've never spoken to before, so it's not like my brain is just fast forwarding or some thing based on past experience It's a very odd feeling isn't it!

Not quite deja vu as I would normally experience it, but it sounds exactly like what you are describing: When I went to Iceland a few years ago, the entire time I was there, I felt so at peace and as if I just belonged there. Everything just felt right, it was as if that was where I was meant to be, that I was finally at home.
I also often get the feeling that I should be driving on the other side of the road, so when we go to another country where they drive on the other side of the road to us, it just feels right. Perhaps I lived in Iceland in a previous life?
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Butterbeer View Post
I used to experience deja vu a lot. I still do occasionally but not as much as I used to. I've definitely experienced it where I've been to a place that I know I've never been to before, but the place has felt so strangely familiar that I've had to question myself as to whether I've just forgotten going there in the past, even though I know that is not the case! My deja vu is more often a conversation or situation that I'm in though, and I know what will happen next or how the rest of the conversation will go, word for word. It has happened even when it is a situation I've never been in before, or when I've spoke to people I've never spoken to before, so it's not like my brain is just fast forwarding or some thing based on past experience It's a very odd feeling isn't it!

Not quite deja vu as I would normally experience it, but it sounds exactly like what you are describing: When I went to Iceland a few years ago, the entire time I was there, I felt so at peace and as if I just belonged there. Everything just felt right, it was as if that was where I was meant to be, that I was finally at home.
I also often get the feeling that I should be driving on the other side of the road, so when we go to another country where they drive on the other side of the road to us, it just feels right. Perhaps I lived in Iceland in a previous life?
Yes some people believe the brain processes two similar inputs simultaneously and that 'feeling' then occurs.

Your Iceland experience sounds exactly like mine - its so natural and strong isnt it? Strange enveloping feeling that just feels right.

I am truly relieved I am not the only one...

Edited at 10:02 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

As a child I experienced this familiarity so often it genuinely freaked me out a tad. I would often dream something very random in the middle of another dream then within a couple of weeks that randomness would occur. I outgrew it but it was incredibly weird.
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

not sure if this is deja vu but...

@10 years ago i started a new job which regular takes me to Sheffield. One day i had time to kill in the meadowhall/tinsley area before a timed job, so i drove about looking to grab a bite to eat. As i was driving about the Tinlsey area, it all seemed strangely familiar to me, despite never being there before? i sort of knew what was round the next corner etc. My only visits to Sheffield had been Hillsborough & Brammal Lane.

Fast forward to 2 years ago when my mam died and we were sorting out the house & endless photos old birth certifcates etc Turns out my Grandad who i never met was born in Tinsley (i knew he was from Sheffield but nothing else)... Recently i revisited the street he was born in & it was just off the main road i had this 'deja vu' on...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
more so as a child- Often its a case of this weird sense of knowing what's going to happen. I find these things fascinating, we still have so much to learn about the brain
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
not sure if this is deja vu but...

@10 years ago i started a new job which regular takes me to Sheffield. One day i had time to kill in the meadowhall/tinsley area before a timed job, so i drove about looking to grab a bite to eat. As i was driving about the Tinlsey area, it all seemed strangely familiar to me, despite never being there before? i sort of knew what was round the next corner etc. My only visits to Sheffield had been Hillsborough & Brammal Lane.

Fast forward to 2 years ago when my mam died and we were sorting out the house & endless photos old birth certifcates etc Turns out my Grandad who i never met was born in Tinsley (i knew he was from Sheffield but nothing else)... Recently i revisited the street he was born in & it was just off the main road i had this 'deja vu' on...
That's really interesting... how and why do things like this happen? Its fascinating.
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I have, many times, in fact this time last year I struggled with it after seeing a particular property from the train. I had been travelling for weeks to the “local hospital” miles away and kept getting drawn to it. After several nights of fractious dreams of being inside this particular property I did some research on it. It seems it used to belong to my great aunt’s family for several generations. She and her hubby were two of my favourite family members when I was a child. They both passed away when I was just starting big school. I have many fond memories of the two of them but knew next to nothing about her family in those days. Turns out the people in my dreams and the pulling feeling were leading me for a reason I was meant to know more right now, back then she wouldn’t talk about them. There was a fair bit of tragedy and triumph in her family. I feel more connected to her but the property is now for sale but because of the A1M access close by there are access limitations so it’s standing there idle and not very loved like it was in it’s hey day. At least 5 generations of her family lived there over the years and it used to be linked to a local church where one of her uncles was a minister too.
It happened when I was a child and my parents and maternal grand parents took us to Chatsworth House. After research a few years ago I found out one of my maternal ancestors married into the family who lived there. I could see it in it’s original glory and in the way it was when we visited and it made me dizzy wanting to take a nap in what felt like my bedroom but I couldn’t go there because it wasn’t open to the public.. very disconcerting and emotional..
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wifey View Post
I have, many times, in fact this time last year I struggled with it after seeing a particular property from the train. I had been travelling for weeks to the “local hospital” miles away and kept getting drawn to it. After several nights of fractious dreams of being inside this particular property I did some research on it. It seems it used to belong to my great aunt’s family for several generations. She and her hubby were two of my favourite family members when I was a child. They both passed away when I was just starting big school. I have many fond memories of the two of them but knew next to nothing about her family in those days. Turns out the people in my dreams and the pulling feeling were leading me for a reason I was meant to know more right now, back then she wouldn’t talk about them. There was a fair bit of tragedy and triumph in her family. I feel more connected to her but the property is now for sale but because of the A1M access close by there are access limitations so it’s standing there idle and not very loved like it was in it’s hey day. At least 5 generations of her family lived there over the years and it used to be linked to a local church where one of her uncles was a minister too.
It happened when I was a child and my parents and maternal grand parents took us to Chatsworth House. After research a few years ago I found out one of my maternal ancestors married into the family who lived there. I could see it in it’s original glory and in the way it was when we visited and it made me dizzy wanting to take a nap in what felt like my bedroom but I couldn’t go there because it wasn’t open to the public.. very disconcerting and emotional..
weird ... similar to me..
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I’m an empath and sensitive to others including ghosts (I try to block that out).
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List