Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

malaria help

DS is taking a group of 6th formers to Uganda with some colleagues. his school go every year but this is the first time he has gone. Along with all the vaccinations he has to have he also needs malaria tablets. Just been looking and there seems to be a range available, different prices and time frames. He has been given around £200 to get his shots and tablets but may have to supplement it himself.

Does anyone have advice or guidance on what may be the best or easiest to take? A friend at work said she paid more because they were better to take as in they didn't leave a bad after taste. She can't remember what they were though.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi Malarone is the most expensive, branded anti malarial. You only need take it for 1 or 2 days before entering a malarial area and 7 days after. It has the least side effects. You can buy the same thing unbranded cheaper.
Doxycycline is the other most popular - you have to take that for longer but it is cheaper.

You can get them online - here is Superdrug’s site but there are many others.

onlinedoctor.superdrug/m...art1-copy.html

I have just ordered mine and they arrived in 2 days no problems.

For injections travel clinics are good. We used nomad travel in Manchester, just have a google around.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I used simple online pharmacy for generic malarone and it cost £25 inc delivery for 16 tablets. The rule of thumb is to add 9 to the number of days that you will be in a malaria area to work out how many you need.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Malaria tablets are country specific. He needs to be seen and given advice by a trained travel clinic.
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi Malarone is the most expensive, branded anti malarial. You only need take it for 1 or 2 days before entering a malarial area and 7 days after. It has the least side effects. You can buy the same thing unbranded cheaper.
Doxycycline is the other most popular - you have to take that for longer but it is cheaper.

You can get them online - here is Superdrug’s site but there are many others.

onlinedoctor.superdrug/m...art1-copy.html

I have just ordered mine and they arrived in 2 days no problems.

For injections travel clinics are good. We used nomad travel in Manchester, just have a google around.
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I used simple online pharmacy for generic malarone and it cost £25 inc delivery for 16 tablets. The rule of thumb is to add 9 to the number of days that you will be in a malaria area to work out how many you need.
Thank you. I have just found that Sainsbury near us has a travel clinic so he could go there. They have a full list of the malaria tablets and all the vaccinations he needs. The two you have both mentioned are on there. Thank you.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Malaria tablets are country specific. He needs to be seen and given advice by a trained travel clinic.
He will have a consultation when he goes, if he goes too the travel clinic at Sainsburys. I just wanted some advice really on what people may prefer if he does have a choice. He may be struggling to get all he needs for the cash the school are giving him.
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Go for malarone every time. They are the more expensive, but well worth it. This is what I chose when I was travelling back and forward to India. Much less faffing around
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Go for malarone every time. They are the more expensive, but well worth it. This is what I chose when I was travelling back and forward to India. Much less faffing around
Thanks
Old 27 Feb 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I took generic Malarone when I went to Kenya - its the same drugs, but without the premium price tag which comes with the Malarone brand. My jabs (Hep A, Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Tetanus/Polio/Diptheria 3-in-1) and the anti-malarials came in at around £170.
Old 28 Feb 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I took generic Malarone when I went to Kenya - its the same drugs, but without the premium price tag which comes with the Malarone brand. My jabs (Hep A, Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Tetanus/Polio/Diptheria 3-in-1) and the anti-malarials came in at around £170.
wow that is good. Was that at your GP's?