Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 12 May 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Gluten free cake recipe

It’s my DD’s birthday next week, one her friends can’t eat gluten so I want to bake my first gluten free birthday cake.
If I buy the gluten free self raising flour that they sell in supermarkets can I use it in the same way as normal SR flour or do I need to add something else? Or does anyone have a good recipe that they are willing to share with me?
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I've not had much success with one's made from scratch and tend to fall back on the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Cake mix. Partly homemade but tastes similar to the non gluten free version You can normally get it in the free from aisle at Asda, Tesco or Morrisons.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I tend to use the doves farm plain flour but only in a very liquid batter because it’s very drying.
It works well in a carrot cake with a bit of pineapple in and also the chocolate cake recipe I use that has milk in it.
Basically in a standard sponge mix I think the texture is really off.
You could make a cake with ground almonds instead?

If any of those appeal I’m happy to post a recipe
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

My sister is gluten free so I've made a few things over Christmas etc., so she isn't left out. I've made pineapple upside down pudding, sticky toffee pudding, cupcakes and banana muffins that I can think of. I know my daughter has used the gf flour in her baking as well. I just buy a bag of gf flour from the supermarket and treat it like I would any other flour. Everything has come out fine, only maybe a touch drier, but that can be countered by putting in a little bit more liquid than the recipe says.

One thing I have noticed is that it tends to puff everywhere as it has a lighter consistency, so a bit more wiping up needed at the end.

Edited at 03:43 PM.
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
It’s my DD’s birthday next week, one her friends can’t eat gluten so I want to bake my first gluten free birthday cake.
If I buy the gluten free self raising flour that they sell in supermarkets can I use it in the same way as normal SR flour or do I need to add something else? Or does anyone have a good recipe that they are willing to share with me?
What type of cake do you want to bake I am gf and love making cakes I am borderline diabetic as well so no sugar . You can buy gluten free self raising flour and it be fine just remember it’s very power like so use less .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone. I was planning on making something similar to a vanilla Victoria sponge or Madeira cake. I may try using my normal recipe with GF flour but just adjust he quantities slightly. I will make it a couple of days in advance so if it all goes wrong I can try something else. 😃
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
Thanks everyone. I was planning on making something similar to a vanilla Victoria sponge or Madeira cake. I may try using my normal recipe with GF flour but just adjust he quantities slightly. I will make it a couple of days in advance so if it all goes wrong I can try something else. 😃
You be fine just remember the flour finer then normal flour so use a little less a a little at a time until you satefiad
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List