Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jul 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
CassieJA
New Poster (3)

Mobile New member questions!

Hi I’m new and I’m hoping I can get some advice re going to DW for the first time since I was 10 with my 2 & 13 year old!

My partner hates crowds and queuing and will be a pain in the bum if I take him to a really busy park so after some research I found that early December is best? My son breaks up for holidays on 12.12 so we were thinking 12th-22nd/23rd. Are queues likely to be long still?

- What is worth travelling to locally if we broke it up to part Disney part other things? My son has always wanted to go to the space centre in Houston (997 miles away), so initially I considered a flight to Orlando-Disney-road tripping with a stop to Houston-fly back from Houston but it’s seeming that might be too much for a 10 day trips down multi city flights are much more expensive, is there any other way (not too expensive) of getting there and returning to Orlando or is that an idea we’ll have to scrap?

- is it best to book flights, accom, tickets separately or as a package? Who’s best to book with? Most cost effective etc please?

Sorry for all the questions! Please do say if there’s anything else that might be useful

Thanks in advance!
CassieJA is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Hi and welcome onboard. Are you looking for this Dec or next year and are you planning on booking a Disney hotel. I think the US Disney website has released free dining for this year.
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Touch of Tink
Trainee Dibber

This is the best place to ask questions! Have never been at Christmas personally, but would imagine queues will still be fairly big as I understand the locals go a lot around that time. If you look at getting fast passes for the rides that will help and there is plenty of info about them on this site. If your son is space mad the Kennedy Space Centre is only about an hours drive from Orlando and very well worth a visit, especially as they have a lot of exhibitions this year because of the 50th anniversary. Hope you manage to work out a plan that suits everybody and that you have a great time
Touch of Tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
CassieJA
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Hi and welcome onboard. Are you looking for this Dec or next year and are you planning on booking a Disney hotel. I think the US Disney website has released free dining for this year.
This year, next year my son breaks up on 18th December so I think it’ll just be too busy then?

Thankyou, is it best to book directly through the US sites? Re hotel I’m not sure, I’d like to but looking around there are really good hotels for half the price of the Disney ones. Would I then get stung with parking? I’ve heard it’s 22 $ a day to park at DW? 😐
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
CassieJA
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Originally Posted by Touch of Tink View Post
This is the best place to ask questions! Have never been at Christmas personally, but would imagine queues will still be fairly big as I understand the locals go a lot around that time. If you look at getting fast passes for the rides that will help and there is plenty of info about them on this site. If your son is space mad the Kennedy Space Centre is only about an hours drive from Orlando and very well worth a visit, especially as they have a lot of exhibitions this year because of the 50th anniversary. Hope you manage to work out a plan that suits everybody and that you have a great time
Thankyou very much that’s a great idea! I didn’t know it was so close 😁. When we went I remember looping back around on the rides as it was so quiet around the same time of year but this was 20 years ago! I’m hoping with it not being the holidays until later in the month we’ll get a weeks quiet and we can do the ‘other’ bits when it gets busier? I checked on a crowd guide online and it said the first 2 weeks of Dec are quietest but we would be getting there in the second week so maybe not! 😕
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

This is the link to the US site, if it tries to direct you back to UK then select US again from the drop down box (top right of the page)

disneyworld.disney.go/
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Disney parks at WDW are not "quiet" anymore, so you will have to get your partner on board with it being busy, with there being crowds, with you having to wait to do the rides. There is no way of escaping that.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Maybe the 1st few days of your trip will be the time to go to the parks before the real Xmas rush starts.
Parking at DW is already $25 per day
You'd save money by going here kennedyspacecenter/ rather than you all flying to Houston
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We tend to go in September. We found December last year to be a lot busier than any time we have been in September. We had a lot of cast members commenting to us that they couldn’t believe it was still as busy as it wasn’t and hadn’t slowed up at all, so if your partner really hates croweds they need to deal with it or consider not going in all honesty.

Kennedy will be your best option for space centres a lot lot closer!

Universal was a lot quieter than Disney so perhaps that would be an option to go there for a couple of days as well?
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Went now December (have also done May, June, July, August, Sept and October). Sept/Oct my favourite times for less crowds. December early is quiet but only a few days and it can be chilly. Crowds and queues are not the same experience as your partner would have her. Very efficient and lots to do even queuing. Kennedy is definitely worth doing your son will love it, and if you can time it around a launch that could be an extra bonus