Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 May 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

I'm actually quite excited now, you've all inspired me so much!

I've taken the advice of everyone who reminded me that you're supposed to have a rest day between each session - after reading all your posts I was up for another go today, but didn't want to go wrong on the first week, so set my days at Sat, Mon & Wed.

Thanks again everyone

PS you'd think being on the Dibb, I'd be used to acronyms, but every time someone mentioned C25K, I was thinking, "no way will I ever do 25K" ! Just got it now
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

I started a C25K programme with a club in January. Like others have said I was out of breath after a minute. Never thought I could do it! 4 months on I am running 4/5 times per week and aim for approx 20 miles per week. Occasionally I have a bit of a walk up steep hills but at 57 think that's ok 🤣🏃
sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
Absolutely!
First photo was around 3 weeks into the 9 week c25k programme

Last photo was 8 stone down and running mile 25 of 26.2 at the Manchester Marathon
Not only did I finish it in a great time (wanted sub 5 and did it in 4:44) I loved every mile!

It took me 18 months to go from couch to marathon

Good luck!

Impressive!

I would get completely bored with the training.
1 hour is more than enough for me.

Old 6 May 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Impressive!

I would get completely bored with the training.
1 hour is more than enough for me.
I run with a running club
Working from home is quite dull so the social side of running is why I go, losing weight and training for a marathon we’re just for fun😂
Old 6 May 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I’ve done it a few times and am starting back on it again. I walk almost as fast as I run but I don’t care. I’m a fast walker and a slow runner.
My advice would be take it slowly, don’t try for speed, go for making it through the 90 second run and the subsequent longer runs. If you find you are getting out of breath, slow down.
Don’t be afraid to repeat a week if you find the next weeks programme too tough.
And don’t be tempted to ignore doing your warm up and cool down and to stretch after all your sessions.
You will get there, it does get easier and the feeling of accomplishment is amazing.

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Graduated last November but then took a "short" break as I did something to my knee during the last few runs...

That turned in to five months so when I restarted I restarted the course as well, and got fitted for a proper pair of running shoes.
That would be my biggest recommendation; get to a proper running shop and get your gait checked.

The course itself should be doable by everyone but dont be scared to stop early and/or redo a session or week.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Basset
Imagineer

I was running in the gym Jan 2018 and got to Feb/Mar and was stunned when I managed to jog a continuous 2k for the first time A month after that I could do a very slow but steady 5k.

I'd also really suggest trying your local Parkrun. They are all over the country and you will get total support. My local parkrun has started having a pacer that runs 1 minute , walks one minute to help people.
Basset is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I started C25K last May, regularly do 10k races (I don't race, I'm a plodder), have the Liverpool 1/2 marathon in 2 1/2 weeks (yikes) and Brighton marathon in April. I'm also in the ballot for London 3 weeks after Brighton!

It works for me as it's part of a team effort - someone put a message on our village FB page - 'I'm needing to get fit for my wedding in 8 months, I'm going to do the C25K and would love to have company'. 25 people turned up.

Group 5 is just about to start in 2 weeks time and they will then graduate at Park Run - all of the other group members will go along to support them and cheer them along, some running with them, others just cheering at the finish line.

Much easier to do with other people in my experience.

My top tips
1. Make sure your first walk is a quick one to warm up your muscles.
2. Always cool down and stretch (google will give you some good stretches). Get in the habit early on or you'll not bother and that's when injuries occur.
3. Try to go without music - talking is a good way for your breathing to get better. Besides, most affiliated races do not allow ear phones/buds.
4. You will find that carrying a water bottle inhibits your arm and wastes energy. Get a water belt or just carry a really small water spray to wet your mouth.
5. Follow the programme religiously, don't be tempted to go too far too fast.
6. Slow down if you can't breathe properly. It's not a race and you need to find your own pace.
7. Warm up and cool down properly AGAIN!

Anyone doing the Liverpool on BH weekend?

Joa
Old 20 May 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I've just done my first run of week one. I'm a 5 minute wonder when it comes to new hobbies, so hopefully I'll continue.
Old 22 May 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Run 2 done. Felt a bit tougher, although the time went quicker.