Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jun 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We’ve used 3 sims on all of our trips, used to use PAYG sims for the trip only but it worked so well we now have our contracts with 3.

We use hardly use any data over there as we use Here which is an offline sat nav app. Just download the maps using wi-if in advance.

Also it’s worth remembering the data you get over there while roaming is not like the speeds and quality you get at home, it’s more like 3G so can be a bit dreich sometimes
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Marilou
Trying for More Ears

We used Here last time and I have to say it was really really good!
Marilou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

It’s is 3G and throttled like going back 2003
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
It’s is 3G and throttled like going back 2003
I had 4G in most places in March.. not as fast as here in the UK granted, but still great overall.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

OK PLEASE DON'T JUDGE- but I need help here.

Anything tech is just NOT my thing but I need to get my phone sorted before travelling in July. Otherwise I'll be paying O2 ridiculous rates.

So I'm on iphone contract with O2. They will charge me around £4.99 per day while over there (total of 37 days)

If I want to use a 3 sim will I need to get my phone unblocked by O2?
Once this is done will it effect my emails? (Remember I said PLEASE DON'T JUDGE)

Once my phone is unblocked can I then use the new 3 sim? I am correct to think this will altar my phone number?

OMG I just need help with this. It's like snorkeling through a bog I've got no idea what I'm doing. Our local 3 shop has closed so I can't even pop in there.

Anyone PLEASEEEEEEEEE HEEEELLLLPPP.
wreckitralph15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
stetash
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by wreckitralph15 View Post

Anything tech is just NOT my thing but I need to get my phone sorted before travelling in July. Otherwise I'll be paying O2 ridiculous rates.

So I'm on iphone contract with O2. They will charge me around £4.99 per day while over there (total of 37 days)

Once this is done will it effect my emails? (Remember I said PLEASE DON'T JUDGE)

Once my phone is unblocked can I then use the new 3 sim? I am correct to think this will altar my phone number?

OMG I just need help with this. It's like snorkeling through a bog I've got no idea what I'm doing. Our local 3 shop has closed so I can't even pop in there.

Yes you will need to have your phone unlocked by O2 and it will not affect your emails.

You’ll then need to activate the new sim by putting it in the phone before you leave and it will send your some texts to say it activated. This will mean you have a different phone number for the duration of your holiday so make sure people are aware of this.

When you arrive in the US turn your phone / mobile data back on and it should pick up on a US carrier / signal within a few seconds and again send you some texts to say welcome and you’re all set up etc.

Then use as normal.
stetash is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by stetash View Post
Yes you will need to have your phone unlocked by O2 and it will not affect your emails.

You’ll then need to activate the new sim by putting it in the phone before you leave and it will send your some texts to say it activated. This will mean you have a different phone number for the duration of your holiday so make sure people are aware of this.

When you arrive in the US turn your phone / mobile data back on and it should pick up on a US carrier / signal within a few seconds and again send you some texts to say welcome and you’re all set up etc.

Then use as normal.
This is mostly true - All pay monthly phones bought on O2 from June 2018 are sold unlocked. Pay as you go phones sold on O2 are still sold locked to the network. But can be easily unlocked.

If I was you, I'd get the 3 SIM card, pop in in your phone and then reboot it - if it picks up a signal on 3 then it doesn't need to be unlocked. If it doesn't recognise that there's a SIM card in there (i.e. no service after a couple of minutes, or a pop-up notification on your phone) then you will need to unlock.

See the below info taken from USwitch:

Is there a charge to unlock a phone? Does a time limit apply?

O2 pay monthly customers are not subject to a time limit and can unlock their phone free of charge at any point in their contract.

O2 pay as you go customers can also unlock their phone at at time, for no charge.

How long does it take?

If you bought an O2 pay monthly or pay as you go phone before June 2018, you're looking at a wait of up to 72 hours to get your handset unlocked by the network.

How do I get in touch to unlock it?

Call 202 from your O2 phone or ring 0344 8090202 from any other phone or a landline.

Prefer not to talk to anyone? You can also unlock via O2's site or through the MyO2 app.

Edited at 08:00 AM.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1

We are with O2 , we get ours unlocked , the guy that does our contracts advised to do ASAP so you can put the other sim in and make sure it works

Emails and what apps all work fine

Originally Posted by KevinCosmos View Post
This is mostly true - All pay monthly phones bought on O2 from June 2018 are sold unlocked. Pay as you go phones sold on O2 are still sold locked to the network. But can be easily unlocked.

If I was you, I'd get the 3 SIM card, pop in in your phone and then reboot it - if it picks up a signal on 3 then it doesn't need to be unlocked. If it doesn't recognise that there's a SIM card in there (i.e. no service after a couple of minutes, or a pop-up notification on your phone) then you will need to unlock.

See the below info taken from USwitch:
Strange as all our phones are all February this year and had still to get unlocked

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

Brilliant
Which sim would you recommend? Should I go for the unlimited or a smaller GB?
wreckitralph15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Brilliant
Which sim would you recommend? Should I go for the unlimited or a smaller GB?
You should order a SIM from here:

three/Support/Free_SIM/Order

Once ordered and activated (by inserting into your phone, may require unlocking), you would top up the SIM and add one of the add-ons from this URL:

three/Support/Top_Up

If you're only going to be using it for emails, facebook, whatsapp and google maps then I'd recommend the 2GB package at £10. If you plan to watch a couple YouTube videos or anything a bit more data intensive then the 5GB at £15 would be better.

Keep in mind that once an add-on is added, it is only valid for 30 days. So maybe do the top-up and add-on purchase a few days or a week before you go, that way it'll be active for your full trip.

Edited at 08:23 AM.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List