Notices

Old 16 Jul 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Scottishnellies 5th Element 2019. Day 23, Golden Corral, Heading Home To Glasgow

Today we go home.

I apologise in advance for the lack of photos. It was just one of those days where I was too busy doing stuff to take photos.

I got up at 7am, sorted the washings, got the iPad out and planned the logistics of where we were going before the airport today, and made my coffee. While I was waiting for my coffee I turned on my phone and thought something terrible had happened as I had loads of messages, then remembered - it's my birthday! And all my family and friends at home had sent messages.

Sat outside by the pool for my last peaceful sunny morning. All quiet today. No exciting wildlife. Once kevin got up at 8 (and stripped our bed - well trained) I woke the girls to start getting organised. I also got my birthday cards bought here so I'm Mom not Mum!

I cleared out the fridge, cleaned it, then put back in some bits n pieces we have left over that JudeB and her family might be able to use when they arrive later today. I had checked with Randy this was ok to do and I wrote a note for the management company to make sure they didn't take it all.

Once packed, showered and dressed we started weighing the cases. Kevin started his usual flap as soon as one case was overweight. Had to tell him to stop it, calm down and leave me to distribute things more evenly. I stuck a few things in my hand luggage, a few in Kierans hand luggage, then moved some stuff from one of ours into Hannah's - done.

Caitlin had hers already perfect all by herself, having been packing and weighing since yesterday. Kevin packed the car (just as efficiently as he packs his coolbag)

We left the villa at 10:45 and were heading to Golden Corral on 192 for a feed. This was Hannah's choice so we just went with it. We arrived at 10:55 and it was mobbed!

We stood in the queue and eventually Reached the til at 11:15. And that queue cost us $25! Before 11am $9.99 per adult, after 11am $15.99 per adult! Overall it cost us the same as Teak by the time we bought the drinks. Not doing that again!

It filled a hole and I must admit, Kevin discovered the steak counter and it was really very tasty. He ate a wad of steak. Maybe not the best idea before an 8hr flight.

all filled up, back into the car and up to the Florida Mall. The mall was so quiet. Must remember that for future! I thought a Sunday would be mobbed. Into Charlotte Russe and I got the tag off the trousers at the counter while the girls raced about like something out of supermarket sweep. We were in that shop 7 minutes and the girls still managed to try on and buy a dress, a pair of shorts and 2 tops between them. Back out to the boys in the car and onto MCO. Arrived MCO, terminal B at 1:05 and returned the car to Alamo. Final charges for Alamo were exactly what Kevin expected and he was proud of his fuel management

As we exited the car park and crossed towards departures, I put our visitor toll pass ticket into the drop box. I should be billed in the next 3 days. We did use quite a few tolls so will be interesting to see.

Bags out and over to checkin which was quite busy.

We could see the flight time now said 5:30pm (was supposed to be 4:05) but given what I'd been reading about Thomas Cook on the dibb over the past couple of I decided I would just be happy as long as it didn't get any worse.

when we reached checkin we got this wee old man. God bless him he was as deaf as a post and soooo sloooooow. I had to tell him about 5 times that Caitlin had booked an extra case before he heard me. He just couldn't get his round there being 5 of us but having 6 cases. And every time kevin lifted a case into the scale he then had to climb on and lift it off to the belt behind the wee man as he had no chance. The younger guy on the adjacent desk kept glaring at him though as he did about 6 families in the time it took the wee man to do ours.

He was very impressed with our packing. Caitlins cases were 22.4 and 23.0, and all 4 of ours were EXACTLY 23.0 each. Get in!

Once in, we had a look round the shops, Then sat at a wee bench and passed some time

Hannah got a caramel frap from Starbucks

Through security which took ages, and Hannah got a pat down once I was through and taken over to supervise it.

waiting at the gate I had one of these

Bumped into my cousin Frances who was on the 6pm virgin flight back to Glasgow. She had stayed in the Royal Pacific for a week doing Universal, then a Disney cruise for a week. She had absolutely loved the cruise.

Started boarding at 4:30 but we were one of the last rows called so we were on at 5:15.

Took off just before 6 so almost 2hrs delayed.

They announced that due to the delay they would be upgrading every passenger to the premium entertainment for free, which was great.

Drinks service at 7pm. Bought 2 rekorderlig for me and 2 punk ipa for Kevin. The kids didn't want anything but we got some water incase anyone needed it later

I watched Green Book then Isn't It Romantic, then I settled down and tried to sleep. I did sort of sleep on and off but in that groggy, not sound way. I did completely miss the breakfast service which was apparently yoghurt, orange juice and a muffin.

I woke 50 minutes before landing. Kevin told me kieran had only slept about 45 minutes which is really unusual for him. He normally sleeps most of the flight. This could be an issue today! As I've mentioned before, Kieran has got right into his Rugby. Before went away I booked him into the Glasgow Warriers Rugby Summer Camp and the first day was today. We booked it thinking we would land at 5am, with Kieran having slept most of the flight. Hmm. Yeah.

Landed, off the plane, luggage collected and through to arrivals. Caitlins dad had come to collect her (they live 2 mins from the airport) and the 4 of us got a taxi (we are 5 minutes from the airport in the other direction).

Home at 7:45. Kieran made a fuss of our cat for a while, then had a shower, got his Rugby gear on and was picked up by another Rugby mum at 8:30am. It finishes at 1pm and was then going to her house to play for the rest of the day. He was surprisingly fine when I picked him up at teatime!

Hannah went to bed and started binge watching 3 weeks of Love Island, determined to watch every one even though we now know the main goings on. We only saw her when she staggered down for dinner.

Kevin and I slept til 12 then I unpacked the 4 cases. Well, Hannah's I just tipped out on her bedroom floor so I could put the empty case up the loft. It also meant there was at least a chance she would put it all away! Kevin got stuck into the grass and hedges as they had grown like crazy while we were away. We had no need to go food shopping as my lovely mum had been in and left lots of fresh food including home made lentil soup and a chicken and veg for dinner. She is a total superstar.

Then my parents came over and we had tea and birthday cake.

We spent the evening binge watching Stranger Things and trying to stay awake til a respectable bedtime.

So that's that. All over.

We've no idea what will happen next year. Kevin wants Florida with no parks. I would be happy with that or Turkey with our friends. Hannah wants Turkey and Kieran doesn't mind.

On top of that it depends what we decide to do work/life balance and finance wise. We have all enjoyed my year at home not working, and it has benefited all of us in lots of ways quality of life wise. But it's time to make some decisions on whether I stay at home or get a job, and if so what sort of job/hours/salary that should be. I'm not keen to go back to a job as senior as I had before, and certainly not full time. So much to think about.

Thank you so much to all of you who have read along, especially those who left comments. It's sometimes a slog to get the report done before bed but it is so motivating when you know people are reading and looking forward to the next day. And a special mention to the dibbers who normally lurk and don't post. I'm well chuffed that a few of you stuck your head up to chat!

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by scottishnellie - 16 Jul 19 4:00 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

WOW. I have loved every single day of your report. Well done for sticking with it and sharing your experiences.

Brilliant!
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Feeling sad that your holiday and the trip report has finished. I always love reading along, thank you for taking time out of your holiday to share with us x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve loved this trippie and appreciate how quickly you write it up xx
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Once again a great holiday thanks for taking the time to do your trippie Helen as you say a big commitment to do it live but I enjoyed reading it over breakfast

Good luck with the decision making but glad you have enjoyed your year off.

Joan
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

Will miss my daily read ! Thank you xx
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Amazing report, it’s been my early morning read every day! I shall miss it 😥
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Welcome home Helen. I'm going to so miss your stories in the morning. Happy birthday to you and good luck with your future plans. I took early retirement to improve work life balance. I've never regretted it a bit even though it has meant an end to my Florida holidays but never say never

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Welcome Home ! Great trip report-over too soon!.

A belated 'Happy Birthday'
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List