Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Apr 18, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mylittleminion
Helping Minnie

Question travelling as a single parent?

we're off to florida soon but its just me and my 6 year old so just wondered if anyone who has travelled on their own with kids had any tips/advice?

One thing that has been concerning me a little is security at the airport what happens if you get selected for extra screening or the x-ray thing?
Mylittleminion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
trevor797
Getting Excited

trevor797's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I have no experience traveling as a single parent however from my experience and other single travelers I have spoken with if you are a single mum with a little one they tend to be very accommodating and understanding.

As long as you have a clear background and follow the files then you should be fine.

Disney truly is the 'Most Magical Place On Earth'
trevor797 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle1989
Serious Dibber

I have travelled on my own with an 18 month old while pregnant in the past and found the airport staff to be accommodating and helpful, including holding my son when I needed to use the bathroom on the flight!
WDW 'Once in a Lifetime trip' - July 2017 -- OKW DLP - July 2018 -- Hotel Cheyenne WDW POR Royal Guest Room -- May 2019 WDW POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2022 WDW Contemporay Resort & POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2023
Belle1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

I went with my 4 year old last year and we had a great time.

People are incredibly helpful if you are on your own and I had no issues.

The only struggle I had was manouevering our luggage which was absolutely no own fault as I took way too much (and came back with even more! ).

Are you driving? I hired a car and found the driving much easier than I thought.

I had no problems with security. I always set the scanners off and my son just waited for me. Have you travelled with him before? It was my son's first flight so I made sure I'd explained what would happen so he was prepared.

I took lots of little presents for him for the plane journey to try and keep him entertained. He's not a big one for watching films so I knew the flight would be the worse bit. He was fine in the end but I'd drilled into him just how long it was beforehand so he knew what to expect.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lolarose
Earning More Ears

Heyy

I went with my 3 year old a couple back and had no problems! My parents met us later on on the trip but we had a fabbo time before they even came anyway!

never exprerienced any airport troubles so cant really comment on that am afraid.

First visit 18 years ago and many more since!

Love to hear tips and news
Lolarose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
T.jenni
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I travel alone with my daughter and found the people lovely in the harry potter queue i remember a lady sending her teenagers to get us drinks because i couldn't leave,
In the airports/hotels etc i found the staff would be as helpful as possible.
X
T.jenni is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sterpip
Gone all Goofy

I took my two boys in August 2016 by myself. They were 10 and 6 when we went, and we had an absolutely amazing time!

I made things as easy as possible for myself, and didn’t encounter difficulties. People were really friendly and helpful, and the only problem on the way out was my 6 year old got picked to go through the body scanner at Gatwick security and he was very unhappy about it as I think he thought they’d take him away from me! But the security were very understanding and it was ok in the end. Other than that it was really a breeze. They both coped amazingly with the heat and walking, and I’m so glad I did it.

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Sterpip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
geordieminnie
slightly serious Dibber

I am a single parent and my daughter and myself have been to Florida and Disney 7 times, 6 times just the 2 of us. The first time she was 2 and the last time 16. When she was 2 I had a suitcase and buggy and the airport staff were great. I got to take the buggy to the gate of the plane and carry her on board when she was asleep. Just make sure your son / daughter has their own hand luggage so you don't have to carry everything and if you only have one suitcase don't take too much with you. We always wash clothes. You never wear as many as you think you will.

Edited at 06:33 PM.
geordieminnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List