Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 28 Jan 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Taking 35mm film through the airport

My daughter would like to take her 35mm film and camera with her when we go to Orlando. We know that the X-ray machines can damage the film and have read that if you put it in a small clear plastic bag similar to liquids that you can request a manual check.

Has anyone on here done this before and if so were the security staff ok with it?
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

I used to shoot film years ago and have never had any issues with security screening as long as it wasn't high speed film I was using, may sure any film is in your hand luggage as the x-ray scaners for hand luggage are not as powerfull as hold bag screening scanners.
The airport I work at does not allow manual searches of sensitive objects, if it doesn't go through the scanner it doesn't go airside, of course this is for staff, it may be different for passengers may be different.
Have you tried contacting the airports concerned on Facebook or twitter, they should be able to give you an answer.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by braby View Post
I used to shoot film years ago and have never had any issues with security screening as long as it wasn't high speed film I was using, may sure any film is in your hand luggage as the x-ray scaners for hand luggage are not as powerfull as hold bag screening scanners.
The airport I work at does not allow manual searches of sensitive objects, if it doesn't go through the scanner it doesn't go airside, of course this is for staff, it may be different for passengers may be different.
Have you tried contacting the airports concerned on Facebook or twitter, they should be able to give you an answer.
Thanks for your reply, I haven't tried contacting the airports but will do. I think she was going to take some high speed films but she may need to reconsider now.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

When I was shooting film I never had any issue with the hand luggage x-ray machines causing fogging on my films, and I shot everything from Fuji Velvia 100 to Kodak Ektachrome 200 or Kodak Gold 800 and even Ilford SFX 200 and Delta 3200.

I'd recommend keeping to film speeds lower than 400 but it shouldn't ever be an issue.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
When I was shooting film I never had any issue with the hand luggage x-ray machines causing fogging on my films, and I shot everything from Fuji Velvia 100 to Kodak Ektachrome 200 or Kodak Gold 800 and even Ilford SFX 200 and Delta 3200.

I'd recommend keeping to film speeds lower than 400 but it shouldn't ever be an issue.
Thanks that's good to hear that it didn't cause problems with your film. The main film she uses is Ilford 400 but she's got some faster speeds that she wanted to take but she might leave them now.
Old 1 Feb 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by dizzzy View Post
Thanks that's good to hear that it didn't cause problems with your film. The main film she uses is Ilford 400 but she's got some faster speeds that she wanted to take but she might leave them now.
If she really wants some piece of mind then you can still get X-Ray pouches on Amazon amazon/Domke-711-1...M5XCX2KZFV4MKV
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i mostly took 400/800 film with me in the past and never had an issue with x-ray machines
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
If she really wants some piece of mind then you can still get X-Ray pouches on Amazon amazon/Domke-711-1...M5XCX2KZFV4MKV
I'll have a look, thank you.

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i mostly took 400/800 film with me in the past and never had an issue with x-ray machines
That's good to know, she's taking 400 and 800 films. I think there was a couple of others which she was going to take but I can't remember what they are. She'll prob not bother with those though as they are out of date film which she's going to experiment with.
Old 3 Feb 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

A single scan will not damage film roll. However, if it is repeatedly scanned it will fog. As advised above you can get special storage bags but security reserve the right to open them and examine their contents.

Walmart sell roll film but I don't know if it would be the specifications she needs.

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
A single scan will not damage film roll. However, if it is repeatedly scanned it will fog. As advised above you can get special storage bags but security reserve the right to open them and examine their contents.

Walmart sell roll film but I don't know if it would be the specifications she needs.
Thanks, that's good to know. Don't think I'll tell my daughter that they sell film at Walmart's it may cost me a small fortune lol.