Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 9 Feb 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Booked RCI cruise for July now not liking what I read

We decided after many hems and haws to book a 7 day Greek Island Cruise with Royal C in July.

Looking at one of the main cruise forums there are a few things starting to bother me around what in short can be called pestering staff.

If would seem its very common to be approached as you near the speciality restuarants by staff looking to get you to book a meal in the restaurant as its premium and costs more.

Equally salon staff around the main parts of the ship stopping people to sell packages.

The photographer around every 5 minutes trying to get business.

Waiters asking customers to fill in satisfaction sheets. The only correct "answer" is the maximum number of stars otherwise they could be fired.

All these are things I dislike with an intensity. I do understand I just have to say no thank you (apart from the ratings). However if I'm going to get pestered all the time then its just gong to get on my nerves.

Having paid a premium to actually go on a cruise I don't expect to be upsold all the time.

I don't go to some countries because of this ie Turkey. Yes its their culture which is fine but equally I reserve the right not to go because of it.

I have call blocker on my phone as I had cold calls.
I refuse to interact with chuggers when I come across them.

The ratings one is even more of annoyance as it would appear the staff get upset if you won't give them full marks. Its a pointless system is customers cant actully be honest in how staff have been.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We agree 100% with your views - as loyal Celebrity cruisers it's the curse of crewmembers targets😠 We hate that hounded feeling and just want to relax and enjoy our holiday. So many 'no thanks' is irritating - Also pushing shops raffles, art auctions, excursions just to get your attention. Day 1 is always worse but tails off as the cruise goes on - why do we keep cruising? We have accepted this is the way of the world - Corporate Greed!
We do love a good chinwag with crewmembers though - we're not completely anti social 😂
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I agree with you totally about hating being pestered especially while on holiday. Having said that, we didn't encounter any of that on any of our cruises, one of which was with RCI.
When you first board you will probably see crew members trying to get you to take out a drinks package or spa package, but in our case they certainly didn't pester.
The only time I've been asked to rate crew members has been at the end of the cruise, usually by way of a questionnaire left in our cabin.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

To be honest, what you've described is pretty much my experience of all cruiselines. But as someone else mentioned, it eases off after the first couple of days. Don't go near the spa unless you want the hard sell. After many cruises I've just learned to politely say no to anything I'm not interested in and move on. The only time it was a complete pain was Celebrity last year, where every member of staff seemed to be asking if we wanted to buy a drinks package constantly. A huge amount of revenue is made from what they sell onboard, so it's no surprise they push it.

I've never experienced the satisfaction sheet issue.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I've been on 4 RCI cruises and have never encountered the hard sell or requests for questionnaires. There are often members of the spa team promoting their daily offers, but are usually in the vicinity of the spa and are never pushy or approach you unless you invite it. Similarly there are staff in the speciality restaurant areas there to give you info and prices, but again don't do the hard sell and don't approach unless you do.
the only hard sell I have ever encountered was in the spa following a treatment when they pushed the products hard, but a polite no thank you does th trick

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Ps. One cruise there was a Round the World food and wine event and 2 different sommeliers had asked us - We decided to sign up with one of them but then we saw the other one arguing with him over us. We cancelled in the end so no one got the brownie point. Few years ago now, but didn't like it😬 and reminds me why I left banking after 30 years! "Definition of a lead = bums on seats" lol
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I hate being pushed into things when on holiday, certainly puts me off some places when away, like markets etc.

We've been on 5 RCI cruises and whilst I have seen people looking to sell extras I've never felt pestered by them.

On every cruise we've been on the servers have mentioned about the questionnaires on the last night. We just say that it's fine and that's the end of it. We then fill it in as we feel appropriate. The worst one was actually the server on last years disney cruise, he really went on about it.

Best thing I find for those around looking to upsell is just not to make eye contact, polite no thank you and keep walking.

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off a cruise.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

The only hard sell is in the spa but that is the same with Disney
We love RC as well as Disney
Old 10 Feb 17, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

We are loyal Royal cruisers and never experienced what you have described. Sure, there are crew members who will approach, but we say no thank you- I've never felt pressured or pestered.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

On all the 30+ cruises we have been on they have tried to sell additional stuff - but some cruise lines /ships are more persistent than others.
The worst was a lunch in the buffet where we were disturbed five times by people trying to sell coffee cards, drinks package, wine package, wine tasting and speciality restaurant. I complained to the dining manager on that occasion.
Agree it eases after first few days. Most times doesn't bother me - just a polite no thanks works. They are not like timeshare sales, they quickly leave you alone.
In recent years the questionnaires have been online but on our last cruise they tried to tell passengers 10/10 didn't mean perfection - things go wrong and in essence we should lower our expectations! Staff do rely on good questionnaire responses for contract renewal. The only ones who usually get 10/10 from me are cabin stewards - invariably they are superb and so attentive.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List