Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 18 Dec 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Any Vegans On Here

My BIL is turning Vegan for January to raise money for Candlelighters charity. He loves his meat and more so his cheese and so it will be so hard for him.

Any recipe ideas for him? Any supermarkets better than others for choice? Any advice?

Thanks Dibbers.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I only have sweet suggestions I’m affraid.
I discovered recently that you can make vegan meringue with chickpea water instead of egg white. Sounds rank but it’s quite successful!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

PETA & viva do a vegan starter kit.
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 17, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wez View Post
PETA & viva do a vegan starter kit.
Thank you will look in to this for him.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I only have sweet suggestions I’m affraid.
I discovered recently that you can make vegan meringue with chickpea water instead of egg white. Sounds rank but it’s quite successful!
Off to Google this now for him. Thank you
Old 20 Dec 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Our local Sainsbury’s stocks loads of vegan Quorn and vegan Linda McCartney range. Look on the my vegan supermarket website for ideas. Loads of food stuff is “accidentally” vegan including the red bisto which I always assumed had beef in!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 17, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Google is your friend. Have a look at vegan recipe club for ideas and there’s are loads of others.

My DD has been vegan for a year and I really enjoy finding new recipes and cooking for her.

I also check menus for any restaurant or coffee shop I go on and send her a photo of vegan options. It’s getting much more mainstream so definite easier to follow a vegan diet.

Xx
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 17, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

The co op is one of the best for vegan food , you can find their list online.
We only have a small co op and they have loads in that one.
As others have said Veganism is much more mainstream now so much easier to find vegan food.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey fanatic
Serious Dibber

Me and my family are vegan, if he signs up to vegan 22 its a free sign up and you can have someone help you on line with recipes amd things you need to know. The best supermarket i find is tescos and saisnburys, but laos herons have the milk in and burgers/sausages cheaper too

He can sub cheese, milk and most meats quite easily but i find too much soy makes our stomachs bloat etc, If i fancy a pizza the goodfellas garlic bread pizza is vegan so i buy that and add my own vegan sausages, onion etc and make my own little pizza
The pulled pork burgers and the sausages i defrost and make into meatballs or pulled pork lasagne etc good luck to him though

I also loved chicken and was a cheese addict! if he finds hes finding it hard a few days/week in tell him to watch "what the health" and "earthlings" it will give him the motivation to finish it
mickey fanatic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List