Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 25 Feb 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

What's your "Go To" menu when entertaining?

We have friends coming over in a couple of weeks and I feel like I have exhausted all the recipes I like to cook and everything I am good at! I need a change but not sure what to do

Any suggestions please? Even better if they can be prepped and made in advance etc.

Both savoury and dessert options please
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not the most inventive cook. ! My go to’ s are lamb shanks, hunters chicken or timed to coincide with a M & S meal deal weekend. It’s the company that counts ha ha (and plenty of wine !)
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

My fall backs are as follows:

Starters: Baked Camembert with fresh bread for dipping
Selection of continental meats, olives and variety of breads

Mains: Easy seafood lasagne (made with tinned fish) you can google the recipe
Fondue - we use a burner at the table with a fondue set with hot oil. You
can pre prepare, chopped steak, seafood, veggies to go in it.

Dessert: Eton Mess
Home made Pavlova
Cheese board and crackers with pickles and chutneys.

Interested to see other peoples ideas too and get some new ideas

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not a fancy cook but stuff I like to make for company (usually just Mum & Dad) are

Chicken breasts stuffed with haggis or black pudding wrapped in bacon with a whiskey sauce.

A “chilli lasagne” with chilli, tortilla wraps and cheese. Mary Berry has a good recipe for that. A bit different to a usual lasagne although I sometimes make a straightforward lasagne.

Steak pie.

My sister usually does pudding as I’m a bit rubbish at that.

Starters will sometimes be just soup but I’ve been known to do a haggis, neeps & tarries filo parcel with whiskey sauce (yes, I know, there’s a theme!) or another is Brie and cranberry filo parcels.

Good old prawn cocktail!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

We don’t really do entertaining any more but when we did, we would usually do a gamma on with loads of veg done in different ways (we are boring with veg otherwise - everything in the steamer). If we had veegetarians over, I have a baked red onion and mushroom risotto which was good as could pre-prepare most of it.

Starters were homemade mushroom soup which could be done earlier then just warmed up and made to look a bit posher with swirls of cream and served with the pick n mix bread rolls from the supermarket OR tapas style platter with breads, olive oil & balsamic, hummus, alioli, olives and some continental meats and cheeses. All just needed tarting up on a nice board.

My hot fudge sundae always went down a treat and again, the ingredients for the sauce could be all put in a bowl earlier and then just melted and warmed over hot water in no time. Adding a bit of alcohol such as courvoisier to the sauce with lovely toppings made it a very popular dessert.
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

These have been tried, tested & very much enjoyed.

- Posh Lamb Balti made with lamb shanks
- Seven Hour Lamb (actually very easy, you just leave it to do it's own thing)

We like lamb!

The Seven Hour lamb is lovely served with:
- Honey-mustard parsnip & potato bake

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

My last get together I served a big dish of bolognese and a big dish of chili. With rice / pasta / chips and garlic bread. My friends had been watching a rugby match on telly so had been drinking and didn't need anything fancy

Why not try a campfire stew pinchofnom/recipes/syn-free-campfire-stew/
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have a simple but eye catching starter which always attracts compliments.

Take slices of black pudding, one per guest, top with round slices of goats cheese about 1cm thick (goats cheese is usually a smaller circle than the BP). Cook in over for about 20 mins. Serve immediately on plates dressed with sliced cherry tomato & rocket, drizzled with balsamic glaze. (Unfortunately cant be made in advance, but can be popped in oven 20 mins before guests sit down.)

My friend always serves asparagus spears rolled in a slice of parma ham. Served hot from oven with shop bought mayo or hollandaise.
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My regulars (family normally) are
Home made Leek and potato or Roasted butternut squash soup
Paella or home made meat and potato pie and mushy peas (not fancy but always goes down well)
Sticky toffee pudding (Gary Rhodes recipe) or Danish apple cake with caramel cream

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Both of my go to dishes are Ottolenghi ones and easily googled.
Chicken pastilla which is AMAZING. It’s probably my favourite meal. It’s very time consuming but I always make the filing up the night before.
I can’t stop ‘testing’ the Catalan spinach when I’m making it 😋

Also chicken with tarragon brioche.

Both are in Nopi or Plenty. I can’t remember which is in which

He also has a recipe for a delicious pea soup with goats cheese cigar crouton things. (Technical description!) I could eat a whole batch of those 🐷

Desserts are usually fig and pistachio frangipane tart or james martin’s sticky toffee pudding.

Following this with interest 😊

Edited at 03:49 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List