Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 1 Apr 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I thought he looked emotional at the end.

I loved the upside down bit.
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfool
Apprentice Imagineer

My post wasn't meant to be nasty.

I'm just fed up of the modern day "obsession" with Celebrities.

Thousands of normal people deal with alcoholism, depression, drug addiction every day, but it goes by almost unheard of. Where's the public sympathy for them and their loved one's?

But if you're on mega-bucks every man and his dog has sympathy for you.
Disneyfool is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think it’s more because we think we know them. It’s hard to have sympathy for people you aren’t aware off.

I thought Dec did a good job. But I would have been very unimpressed if he hadn’t done it. They were contracted to do a job and I think he was obliged to fulfil that contract as he isn’t ill.

I was a bit worried for him at the start as he looked very nervous and uncomfortable but within a few minutes I thought he was in his stride and did find. Stephen Merchant has a more prominent role than some of the guest announcers and that worked well.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyfool View Post

Thousands of normal people deal with alcoholism, depression, drug addiction every day, but it goes by almost unheard of. Where's the public sympathy for them and their loved one's?

I agree but I don't think it's because of their income, I feel it's because we feel we know them so are more sympathetic. I believe there should be a lot more support for everyone who is suffering with addiction or mental illness and more awareness and understanding of the issues.

I also think that sometimes these celebrities get a harder time because of their fame. In Ant's case for example, the accident has been front page news all week, which can only add to the problems he is facing. If that was an ordinary man drink driving in an accident with no serious injuries, it would hardly make a local newspaper inside page. Again I do think drink driving is a terrible offence and he should be treated in exactly the same way as anyone else who commits the crime, through the courts.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think it’s more because we think we know them. It’s hard to have sympathy for people you aren’t aware off.

I thought Dec did a good job. But I would have been very unimpressed if he hadn’t done it. They were contracted to do a job and I think he was obliged to fulfil that contract as he isn’t ill.

I was a bit worried for him at the start as he looked very nervous and uncomfortable but within a few minutes I thought he was in his stride and did find. Stephen Merchant has a more prominent role than some of the guest announcers and that worked well.
Dec has been working in tv for many years so should be more than capable of working without Ant obviously. But it must have been a stressful couple of weeks for him so he did really well considering this. I agree he had to continue and finish the series, especially as the show promises gifts such as place on the plane etc. He would have been letting a lot of people down if he had backed out. Well done to him on his professionalism
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Hmm then again maybe it will bring these issues to the forefront and let people see that it really can happen to anyone. I'm not one to follow celebs either but these two are fab... they are or have been known for their squeaky clean image... one move wrong and the whole of the country knows about it , writes about it , judges them on it. This is one aspect that normal people don't have to deal with it. Anyone with depression etc (famous or otherwise) will know that it's a constant worry thinking about what others are saying about you so I really feel it can't be easy for anyone in that position
( regardless of how much they earn ) ... I think any decent person will have sympathy for anyone with mental health problems etc and wish them well. Although having said that , drink driving hmm well he does have to take the consequences

Edited at 12:12 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It did come over as nasty tbh.
There's plenty of celebrity posts I have no interest in. I just don't bother reading them and move onto the next one.
I really dislike DLP , but know lots of people love talking about it. I don't moan about the posts about it or the fact it's advertised on TV endlessly ATM, I just move to the next thread or ignore the advert.
No one says we have to like the same things but we don't have to rain on others parade either...

Dec doesn't need the money anyway (his estimated wealth is about 13 million)so I doubt last night was about the pay check !

duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

He's actually never worked on TV without Ant before so to do so for the first time with such massive extra attention on him was bound to be challenging. He must have known how many extra viewers there were tuning in to see how he did without Ant .

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Dec has been working in tv for many years so should be more than capable of working without Ant obviously. But it must have been a stressful couple of weeks for him so he did really well considering this. I agree he had to continue and finish the series, especially as the show promises gifts such as place on the plane etc. He would have been letting a lot of people down if he had backed out. Well done to him on his professionalism
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

You really need to get past the money issue because quite frankly it's irrelevant. I have sympathy for them because they have issues that I'm made aware of because it's splashed all over the media not because of the millions they have stashed in the bank...I would have the same sympathy for anyone else with these issues but as I'm not aware of them it's difficult to give it.

Obsession with celebrities isn't new...social media make it more obvious but it's been there for decades
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
I feel for him, regardless of wages. I'm a teacher and have been lucky enough to have my best friend as my year partner this year, but it isn't the case next year. I'm gutted, so can only imagine what it's like going solo when you've done everything with them for 20+ years!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List