Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 1 Apr 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyfool View Post
My post wasn't meant to be nasty.

I'm just fed up of the modern day "obsession" with Celebrities.

Thousands of normal people deal with alcoholism, depression, drug addiction every day, but it goes by almost unheard of. Where's the public sympathy for them and their loved one's?

But if you're on mega-bucks every man and his dog has sympathy for you.
You seem to be confusing Dec with Ant. The posts and comments online about Dec doing his job well, as the professional he is while under stressful circumstances are completely justified. Next week, not so much as he’s now proved himself.

Why should Dec get any more of the flack for Ant’s actions. He hasn’t driving while drunk, he isn’t mentally unstable and addicted to drugs and nor is he divorcing his wife when she seemingly hasn’t a clue what’s going on.

I have sympathy for Ant’s mental state but non at all for his actions. But last night wasn’t about Ant. It was about Dec carrying on as best he could and he did that admirably.
Old 1 Apr 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

OMG - It's just a TV show.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfool
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
You seem to be confusing Dec with Ant. It was about Dec carrying on as best he could and he did that admirably.
No, I am not getting them confused. My original post was after I saw several posts on Facebook, with people fawning over Dec, like he was some kind of hero/trooper because he worked without Ant.

The fact is, whether he's only ever been with his side-kick or not, he's an extremely well paid individual, and should just "get on with the job".

He did this, and fair play to him. All I'm saying is why do people feel the need to praise him?

He's a Celebrity, most people don't know him. If you did know him, you could say "well done Dec, you did a great job in the circumstances".

But complete strangers saying this is OTT in my opinion.

Edited at 03:35 PM.
Disneyfool is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post

But they are celebrities and well loved ones at that..of course people are going to support them and obviously there are some who would be watching last night just hoping Dec would mess up so they could slate him..but he didn't and so deserves praise for doing a good job without his partner who he's been with since they were kids.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
But they are celebrities and well loved ones at that..of course people are going to support them and obviously there are some who would be watching last night just hoping Dec would mess up so they could slate him..but he didn't and so deserves praise for doing a good job without his partner who he's been with since they were kids.
Well said Linda.
Dec was thrown in at the deep end , he has most likely been supporting Ant for a while now, regardless of the amount he is paid it's still his closest friend that is in trouble and it can't have been easy for him watching his best mate suffering with mental health . He deserves praise for how he managed the show last night , you could see it was quite emotional for him .
He is a celebrity and well liked by many , he is in the limelight that's why people have empathy for him and feel it necessary to praise him for carrying on regardless , it's as simple as that .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I have seen some people on Twitter that have gone quite over the top praising him but still, it’s a nice thing to do. It’s not hurting anyone that people are tweeting etc to say good luck/well done so I can’t see anything wrong with it personally. Just scroll on by. I’d rather read over the top nice things than the usual horrible stuff.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

No, I am not getting them confused. My original post was after I saw several posts on Facebook, with people fawning over Dec, like he was some kind of hero/trooper because he worked without Ant.

The fact is, whether he's only ever been with his side-kick or not, he's an extremely well paid individual, and should just "get on with the job".

He did this, and fair play to him. All I'm saying is why do people feel the need to praise him?

He's a Celebrity, most people don't know him. If you did know him, you could say "well done Dec, you did a great job in the circumstances".

But he did just get on with the job...the public have praised him via social media as they can't say it to him face to face.

Not sure why this should be such an issue for you
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

I'm pleased for him that it went ok. Shame if he has to do more things alone (depending on how Ant recovers) but at least we know he can pull it off.
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

My post wasn't meant to be nasty.

I'm just fed up of the modern day "obsession" with Celebrities.

Thousands of normal people deal with alcoholism, depression, drug addiction every day, but it goes by almost unheard of. Where's the public sympathy for them and their loved one's?

But if you're on mega-bucks every man and his dog has sympathy for you.
Thankfully not every man and his dog are watching and judging us on our every move. Presumably because we aren’t paid what he is 🤔.

Would I love his wages? Absolutely but not if all eyes were on me waiting on me to put a foot out of line and particularly if my best friend and partner was in recovery. Personally I’d struggle to keep going in a “normal and inconspicuous” job.

Well done to Dec and warm wishes for a speedy recovery to Ant.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

OTT yet your reaction to it isn’t?

Dec has done nothing wrong but he has stood up and faced the music and limelight alone. The reason people were perhaps, found overboard with their praise is because they have empathy for him. As mentioned countless times, he did a job he’s used to but in circumstances he most certainly is not. He also did that job very well under the most scrutiny he’s ever been under and not one element of the reasons were his doing/fault.