Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Apr 18, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
July or August?

I'm starting to plan () for 2019, and we have a choice of when to go in the summer. We have always opted for the last 2 weeks of the summer school hols, often into the beginning of Sept (this year we come back on 4th Sept) and we get fab extras like F&W in EPCOT and also now MNSSHP. However, next year DS gets GCSE results in August and so it would clash with out "usual" weeks away.
We could go on 6th July (kids finish school on the 5th) for a couple of weeks, but I have never been in July- isn't it hugely busy?
We choose the end of the holiday also as the crowds drop quite a lot, even though it's humid and hot... not sure I want to be hot, sticky and with massive lines/crowds everywhere...
what are the pros and cons of July?

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Lots busier in July as the Americans are still on vacation, can I ask why you need to be home for GSCE results, doesn’t modern technology let you have the results on line. If I had a choice I would stick to end of Aug, weather wise is won’t be any different.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
Lots busier in July as the Americans are still on vacation, can I ask why you need to be home for GSCE results, doesn’t modern technology let you have the results on line. If I had a choice I would stick to end of Aug, weather wise is won’t be any different.
We don't really need to be home for results - as you correctly point out, they will be emailed to him. However, wanted to consider the different options in case DS wanted to go into school to spend the morning congratulating or commiserating with his friends!
I don't think he is too worried about being there, but obviously, July is a bit cheaper so thought it was worth a look.
Thanks - useful to know the crowds will be worse!

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Sorry to butt in on this one but DD is doing her GCSEs next year too and we also want to go to Florida (probably). We could, technically, go in June after her last exam athough we would probably have to wait until after her Prom (an American import we could have done without!).

So, is June any better than July or is it just the same?
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
We don't really need to be home for results - as you correctly point out, they will be emailed to him. However, wanted to consider the different options in case DS wanted to go into school to spend the morning congratulating or commiserating with his friends!
I don't think he is too worried about being there, but obviously, July is a bit cheaper so thought it was worth a look.
Thanks - useful to know the crowds will be worse!
We are in exactly the same situation. Usually do last two weeks aswell...BUT this year being posed with wanting to return for GCSE results (getting results at school with his friends and saying thank you to staff one last time) PLUS memories of last years hurricane whooping in, we opted for Monday 22nd - just before schools 'officially' break up here (with possibility of a day or 3 window change for flights to Monday 4th(as it stands pre flight release) August. Depending on what crowd predictor you look at the majority are middling to a bit busier (avoid the 4th July obviously).
We aim to have a more 'resort' style holiday anyway but will head to parks first thing or evenings when we venture out to restaurants or FP+ rides.

It would be a different thought process if this was our first visit, but its not so we are not 'pressured' to try and do it all. And it would be better for my DS, I think, if he didnt start a new college fresh off the plane

Edited at 06:09 PM.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
July is MUCH busier than late August. We have been at both times & I would rather do late August again. American schools go back mid-August so the parks feel less busy. Also... As the kids go back to school sale, you can benefit from the great 'Back to School' sales in the malls
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We would never go back in July/August. The parks are really busy, its too hot and the thunderstorms were awful. Some of them lasting all day. We are going back to October in 2019.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We’ve been both July and Aug for the last couple of years for this same reason with results.

We are now into first year of A levels so can go again this year at the end of Aug however next year we are going mid July in order to be back for A level results day.

I honestly didn’t notice much difference in the amount of crowds. It was busy with queue times anything from 60 mins to 180 mins. Weather wise pretty much of a muchness! It certainly hasn’t put us off going July 😁
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
We really love going late August - even with the weather issues and potential for hurricanes! I also like to be the one at work who "still has their holiday to go" when others are returning from various sunnier climes with the post-holiday blues
I wouldn't choose to change, but rather was intrigued as to whether others felt there was a significant difference. Seems quite split at the moment...

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DL 93
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Formularog
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We are in the same position this year my son gets his results in Aug and we are still going last to weeks of Aug, we spoke to him and he would rather be in Florida than waiting to go into school it's not like he will have to wait to get home to get them so hopefully we will be able to celebrate out there, went same time last time and ques were really good so would rather go back again for these same to weeks and enjoy it especially spending all that money than going in July and saying we wish we hadn't all holiday think it would spoil it.
Formularog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List