Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Dec 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

60 minute wait times reported for Magical Express

On Facebook today. This is unacceptable for anyone, never mind getting off a transatlantic flight.
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I'd be quite careful using the word "unacceptable"

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I'd be quite careful using the word "unacceptable"

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We waited 45 minutes last October. Definitely unacceptable.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!
And, as no doubt you are fully aware, the real reason they are charging for the car parks (albeit a good side effect is all those $20/$25 a night) is to discourage you from taking that car, and spend all your money on huge margin food and products in WDW instead of offsite.
Old 8 Dec 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

Perhaps the delays are planned so that on arrival you have already exsperianced your first que of many
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grommitt View Post
Perhaps the delays are planned so that on arrival you have already exsperianced your first que of many
There is now a stand with water at $8.99 and Mickey Pretzels with 'beer' cheese dip at $15.99 adjacent. A new pass- 'Magical Express, Express' can now be purchased, must be bought for both ways, for everyone in party, at $99. Includes free cupcake.
Note - Magical Express will be unavailable on 22,23,24 December, due to 'Magical Express Party Bus' where guests will be able to enjoy a tour of resorts, then straight to the DVC centre, where they will be given a tour of the rooms and asked to sign a contract by Scrooge McDuck. Price is $199, plus tax plus gratuity. Under 2 week olds are at a reduced rate of $189.99, birth certificate must be presented to secure discount.

And before anyone gets alarmed- I am joking! I think...

Edited at 04:43 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
There is now a stand with water at $8.99 and Mickey Pretzels with 'beer' cheese dip at $15.99 adjacent. A new pass- 'Magical Express, Express' can now be purchased, must be bought for both ways, for everyone in party, at $99. Includes free cupcake.
Note - Magical Express will be unavailable on 22,23,24 December, due to 'Magical Express Party Bus' where guests will be able to enjoy a tour of resorts, then straight to the DVC centre, where they will be given a tour of the rooms and asked to sign a contract by Scrooge McDuck. Price is $199, plus tax plus gratuity. Under 2 week olds are at a reduced rate of $189.99, birth certificate must be presented to secure discount.

And before anyone gets alarmed- I am joking! I think...
I actually fully believed this and was not a bit surprised.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

You have to pre book dme so they should know roughly (depending on immigration, flight delay etc) how many people they should expect at a given time and therefore have sufficient quantity of buses available. Or is that too simple?
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List