Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Oct 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by spinone lover View Post
We actually feel more comfortable using cash everywhere and weíve been travelling to Florida for 25 years
On our Monzo card we don't keep more that £200 in the accessible account - we transfer as we need it so I think it's quite safe
Feb 2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge, April 2003 Villa - Indian Ridge, June 2003 All stars music, Nov 2003 Old Key West Resort, Dec 2003 Coronado Springs & Polynesian, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 Old Key West Resort, Dec 2012 Port Orleans FQ & BLT
Sep 2016 All stars sports, Sep 2019 Old Key West Resort, March 2020, Celebration. August 2020 CSR cancelled, 2021 Birthday trip
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Restomaniac
Being a bit Goofy

Generally a 50/50 split on currency card and cash.
Hotels normally supply a free safe so cash, phones, tablets, etc get stowed in there when we are out.
Restomaniac is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mouskevik
Imagineer

I've got a Starling debit account and I love it, have used the card in Cyprus, Spain, France and the US so far with no issues.

Although it's a debit account, you get the MasterCard exchange rate and no fees spending with it abroad.

The app is fantastic, it sends you a push notification every time you spend with the amount in the local currency and in £.

The app also breaks down all your spending so you can keep track, i.e. shopping, eating out, fuel etc. They even put a thumbnail of the vendor logo next to each transaction so it's easy to see where you've been spending! 😂

I keep all my holiday money in my Santander account and transfer what I think I'll need each day to the Starling account. That way if anyone nicks the card, it hasn't got all my holiday cash on it.

We take a bit of cash with us but mainly use the Starling card.

Southern Dunes - Sep/Oct 2002
Esprit Davenport - Sep/Oct 2012
Windwood Bay/HRH/Hard Rock Cafe Wedding! - Oct 2014
Sandy Ridge/Miami/HRH - Aug 2019
mouskevik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Iíll be taking the same $100 in cash I have taken on the last 2 trips! Just canít be bothered to spend it.

Iím the chap paying by card at the vending machine for a bottle of Coke!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mainly my credit card, (having the funds to pay it off in the bank) but I do take some cash for tips and places that donít take cards.

I donít really use cash at home a lot and I would definitely worry about carrying large sums around with me on holiday. I think my insurance only covers £500 max anyway.
Old 31 Oct 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
68nic
Apprentice Imagineer

We take about $2500 in cash and also use our Halifax Clarity Card . What we spend on the card all gets paid off when the next statement comes .
Old 31 Oct 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dangallimore
VIP Dibber

Appreciate all the feedback. Will talk to OH and give her this thread to read. I think weíll do a little cash and our Halifax clarity card.
Old 31 Oct 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Ive always taken traveller cheques and cash with a credit card for back up. But last time we went we got the revolut card, just put a bit of money on and converted to dollars when the exchange rate was good - planned to use debit card to withdraw cash. But loved the revolut so much we just topped it up out there and used it all the time, plus our credit card for a few bits. You get instand notification of all transactions, can turn off the card via the app, get a run down of the days spends at the end of each day - so great for budgeting
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
gudu
A Guest at All-Stars

Credit card and 3 debitcards , no cash .I never bring cash whereever I holiday , dont see a point at it. only chance that it gets stolen 🤷Used to do cashback at Walmart for a lil change, maybe 50 dollar .
I use my creditcard more as its cheaper but I got skimmed once so always bringing some debitcards . When we go out I bring my creditcard and a debitcard and the other debitcards Stay in the hotel for if In get robbed or something

Edited at 12:34 AM.
gudu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Ive got $300 cash left over from previous trips. Ive got 3 prepaid cards with a couple of grand on them (easy to save in pandemic) and will take out 500 when i get there so ive got plenty of cash for walking around. Prepaid cards are the way to go for me as you are in complete control of how much you have to spend. Works for us
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List