Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm a regular poster on here about driving, car hire and tolls generally but sadly I've only limited experience of using Avis and never from FL.

I'll contribute on a couple though.

6 Tolls. Here's a map showing the Florida toll roads. There are a few cashless ones (cashless not unmanned) where you have to use Sunpass or buy a transponder. Any pre-fitted transponder in an Avis car will trigger Sunpass whether switched on or off.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

This is a very useful guide to Sunpass charges from Andy at DFCH who loads of Dibbers use

discountfloridacarhire.c...sunpass-guide/

7 I've hired full size cars multiple times and never seen a built in sat nav (as at Nov 2019). Higher end cars may have them as long as Avis have renewed the subscription.

You can download the likes of Waze, Navmii, Here we go and others free to your mobile and they don't use data roaming. Just download the maps on wi-fi here in the UK. We don't use sat nav unless were going on one of our off the beaten track trips maybe once a visit. Joan has "Here" on her mobile for that.

If it's your first time driving over there there's an excellent DIBB guide (I say excellent as I've edited and added over the years ) I'll only link it if you're interested

Mick
Hi mick could you post the link first time driving in USA please been numerous times over the years and hubby always drives ..but would like to surprise him this time and take the wheel once or twice whilst we are there so might be a good idea for me to read up on first time driving over there ...watched hubby do it but never felt confident till now many thanks
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Hi mick could you post the link first time driving in USA please been numerous times over the years and hubby always drives ..but would like to surprise him this time and take the wheel once or twice whilst we are there so might be a good idea for me to read up on first time driving over there ...watched hubby do it but never felt confident till now many thanks
Jules

Happy to. One thing that needs an edit when I have time is the Sunpass link. Despite both me and Andy emailing them they are still about 2 years out of date with Avis/Budget rates - and maybe others. Andy's link to Sunpass that I posted above more reliable.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

May not be online much today though as a result of two negative Antigen tests yesterday.

Cases out of the loft this morning and start packing

Mick
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Jules

I've driven maybe 50,000 miles over there over the years and Joan maybe 1 She did a lap of Regal Palms about 15 years ago.

I'm perfectly happy to drive though as I love it. Collecting the VTP Tuesday evening then it's 417 Highgate Park bound after a 2 year absence.

Excited doesn't come close

Mick
Old 14 Nov 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Thank you so much for everyone’s replies and links so far. I will sit down with my fiancé later and go through them all so sorry if I add some extra questions as a result

PS we aren’t flying and then driving straight away. We’re flying into Miami, staying there for 5 nights, Uber to Fort Lauderdale beach for 2 nights and then drive up to Orlando from there.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Thank you so much for everyone’s replies and links so far. I will sit down with my fiancé later and go through them all so sorry if I add some extra questions as a result

PS we aren’t flying and then driving straight away. We’re flying into Miami, staying there for 5 nights, Uber to Fort Lauderdale beach for 2 nights and then drive up to Orlando from there.
I sometimes feel a bit of a fraud being on here for over 17 years posting on the "DISNEY Information Bulletin Board"

Never spent a single night in a WDW hotel, can count on one hand how many sit down meals we've had on WDW property and haven't even visited a park since 2010.

We do however love driving to see the other 65,700 square miles that Florida offers. What I know about Uber and Lyft can be written in size 72 font on the back of a stamp.

We stayed at FL Beach maybe 20 years ago as part of a road trip to the Keys. Have a fantastic time.

Mick

Edited at 11:59 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

The Florida Turnpike now has completely cashless tolls. It is also by far the quickest and most direct route to the Universal area. I would just pay the one day fee for using the in built Sunpass. The actual toll charges are usually cheaper using Sunpass anyway.
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Nothing much to add apart from when getting to the resort at HRH just ask at reception if it isn't clear where to go. Everyone is very friendly and obliging so no worries for that part. Regarding the sunpass I got it the last two times I was there for a week. For the next 5-6 weeks I would have small amounts taken by dollar from my credit card. Must have been when the tolls came through. It amounted to less than 10$ so I didn't question it. We did drive around a lot I'm not sure if they overcharged or not but I'm not going to sweat $10...

Old 15 Nov 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Thanks everyone!

My phone is showing a route direct up I95 then turning left inland at Melbourne which it says has no tolls. It’s only about 40 mins longer than the toll route. Does this sound ok to everyone or is there anything I should know about this route? I think going without tolls sounds easier if it’s possible.

Mick, if you see this, I hope you and Joan have an amazing holiday. Enjoy!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Thanks everyone!

My phone is showing a route direct up I95 then turning left inland at Melbourne which it says has no tolls. It’s only about 40 mins longer than the toll route. Does this sound ok to everyone or is there anything I should know about this route? I think going without tolls sounds easier if it’s possible.

Mick, if you see this, I hope you and Joan have an amazing holiday. Enjoy!
That route is definitely not easier in my opinion. The inland stretch is 192 which has dozens of stop lights after you hit St Cloud. The tolls are no hassle at all if you use Sunpass and just pay the admin fee. You just sail through the overhead toll readers with no stopping at all.
Old 23 Nov 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Thankyou for that mick will have a look by the sounds of it you are there now have a brilliant time both of you hopefully we arrive 9th December [providing all tests clear !
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List