Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Nov 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

VA rewards converting single to return - am I right?

Am I right in thinking that they should be able to convert a one way reward into a return? They are trying to book it as two singles and charge me extra tax. Is this one of those try again with another agent situations?
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
Am I right in thinking that they should be able to convert a one way reward into a return? They are trying to book it as two singles and charge me extra tax. Is this one of those try again with another agent situations?
You will pay extra "TAX" - the tax is per segment ie the UK to USA often costs more in TAX (and charges - with make up most of the "TAX") than USA to UK

(each segment will be shown and charged separately)

Edited at 02:00 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
You will pay extra "TAX" - the tax is per segment ie the UK to USA often costs more in TAX (and charges - with make up most of the "TAX") than USA to UK
They're trying to charge me two singles tax, rather than return tax though. At the moment there are only economy returns available. For 2 adults, 2 children I've paid £621 in tax and fees so far for the outgoing and would expect around £877 total for a return. They're asking for another £444 for the two singles.

I just believe they should be able to convert it to a return rather than two singles.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
They're trying to charge me two singles tax, rather than return tax though. At the moment there are only economy returns available. For 2 adults, 2 children I've paid £621 in tax and fees so far for the outgoing and would expect around £877 total for a return. They're asking for another £444 for the two singles.

I just believe they should be able to convert it to a return rather than two singles.
OP. My experience is it all depends who you get. Technically if they leave it as 2 singles then yes you pay the higher amount. Some agents will just fiddle with your outbound leg and process it as a return without any admin charge and thus you pay the lower amount.
Some wont though as technically they shouldn't.

The work around and I assume it's 4 of you is you pay the £30 admin fee each and then they have no reason not to book you as a return trip. But they mustn't cancel the outbound flight first or the Miles seats disappear for at least 24 hours and get snapped up by somebody else!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. My experience is it all depends who you get. Technically if they leave it as 2 singles then yes you pay the higher amount. Some agents will just fiddle with your outbound leg and process it as a return without any admin charge and thus you pay the lower amount.
Some wont though as technically they shouldn't.

The work around and I assume it's 4 of you is you pay the £30 admin fee each and then they have no reason not to book you as a return trip. But they mustn't cancel the outbound flight first or the Miles seats disappear for at least 24 hours and get snapped up by somebody else!
I guess you are right Mr Tom. I have only ever booked as 2 singles as I like the flexibility to change (and book early) - to be fair I didn't know you could change to a return. Everyday is a school day for MF
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Thanks both. After pushing her the agent has remembered it is possible to make it a return rather than 2 singles. Only one flight reference number now and £200 saved - glad I asked! Now to keep an eye out for UC rewards to upgrade to...
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I guess you are right Mr Tom. I have only ever booked as 2 singles as I like the flexibility to change (and book early) - to be fair I didn't know you could change to a return. Everyday is a school day for MF
MF. I think some of the Agents make things up as they go along! But I will say in their defence 99.9% of them are superb.

The sad day for me was when they got rid of the old Combi fares where you could get a Miles flight one way and a dirt cheap cash return that was not classed at the sky high 1 way flight cost. I used them a lot.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

This is really useful as I will hopefully be booking my return leg soon, so will try to push for this too.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
MF. I think some of the Agents make things up as they go along! But I will say in their defence 99.9% of them are superb.

The sad day for me was when they got rid of the old Combi fares where you could get a Miles flight one way and a dirt cheap cash return that was not classed at the sky high 1 way flight cost. I used them a lot.
Oh I wish they'd come back too!
Old 21 Nov 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
This is really useful as I will hopefully be booking my return leg soon, so will try to push for this too.
When have you got the outgoing booked for if you don't mind me asking as I found an odd little glitch with the returns