Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Aug 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I really don’t rate the QS food at HS, although perhaps that’s too harsh as we haven’t eaten any there for about 5 years. Mama Melrose is possibly my favourite restaurant in Disney, I love that strip steak. Now have a minor panic about the fact we are not going this year!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Monsuier Paul’s looks great. We did toy with the idea of going there as there was availability the night we booked the yachtsman off the cuff.
I think the tasting menu looks fab, I wonder how much the surcharge would be on the ddp.
Mama Melrose and Teppan Edo look good as well, 2 of our regular places.
Enjoy.
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Tuesday Animal Kingdom Tiffins

We got breakfast from the food court at FQ and ate it in bed today. Eva got the platter which she enjoyed. I ordered breakfast muffin after seeing Goldia’s photos. When I opened it up it was on a croissant not a breakfast muffin! I didn’t really like it - the croissant was a wholewheat one and tasted a bit odd.

We met up with an old school friend at AK and her daughter and had a fab morning riding Everest, Safari and FOP.

We had a late lunch reservation for Tiffins which is one of our faves. It didn’t disappoint. I like that they change the menu regularly so it never gets boring. The portions are not huge so there courses was easily achieved 😊

First up was tomato soup for Eva and I had a corn soup which had some bits of pickled jalapeños and crispy vegetables in it. Both soups were really ace.

For our mains I chose surf and turf which cane with purple mash. The steak was cooked perfectly and the whole dish was brill. Eva was surprisingly adventurous and chose the butter chicken. She loved it.

We both had dessert trio - this was tiny. Definitely smaller than last year. Each one was basically one mouthful. A tasty mouthful but way too small.

I’ve a couple of days to upload which will follow later today 😊

Edited at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add photo
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

The lobster 😍😍😍
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry, trying to catch up. I love Eva’s dress and ears. M. Pauls looks amazing. I would have definitely had the full menu too. 💕😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Tiffins looks lovely as does the num num cookie and adult lemonade. They were all on the list but not achieved yet! Glad your having a great time 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Wednesday - Tangled breakfast, Blizzard Beach, Boatwrights and a Kitchen Sink

After Tiffins yesterday we all decided to go hang out at our pool so didn’t go out for tea we shared a pizza from the food court (I don’t have a photo sorry). The girls had a great time swimming at night and the grown ups had a great time catching up on all the years since school with the vodka I bought on the plane. Those refillable mugs came in handy for the coke refills 😊

Wednesday was an early start with an 8am ADR at Trattoria al Alforno on the Boardwalk.

We always enjoy it here. You get a basket of pastries and usually fruit which didn’t appear this time so either they don’t any more or they forgot. All the pastries were eaten.

Rather than a buffet each person chooses a main course from the menu. Eva chose the breakfast calzone which has salami , sausage, bacon, egg and cheese inside and comes with marinara sauce. We both ate some of this and it’s really good. Best item in the menu in our opinion.

I had a pancake stack with strawberry coulis and sausages. I managed one and a half pancakes. Thick and fluffy totally lovely.

The characters are good on interaction and you meet Rapunzel, Ariel, Flynn Ryder and Prince Eric. Eric was the most fun and was a charming prince with the kids. I’d recommend this as one of the better character meals as there no scrum at the buffet.

We then headed off to Blizzard Beach which was great fun and the rain stayed away all day too. Eva finally got to ride Summit Plummet (I did not &#128522.

We had lunch at the quick service closest to us at Lotta Watta Lodge. Chicken tenders and fries for Eva and chicken rice bowl for me which made a nice change and a bonus was the hot sauce which I love so mine has a liberal application of spice. The drinks choice wasn’t great so I settled on a pina colava - it was passable but not great.

Now as I was loafing at Blizzard Beach I was cruising MDE for dinner and found a 10pm availability for Beaches & Cream. I formed a cunning plan and decided on a light tea at Boatwrights as it’s close to base and booked B&C for 4 so the kids could do the kitchen sink together. Eva has been asking to do this for 4 years but I’ve always said no as a 2 can’t do justice to it.

We have never eaten at Boatwrights before as it gets terrible reviews. However I do like to judge for myself and actually the food was really good. Way better than the “premium” restaurants in magic kingdom in my next report.

We both got soup to start. Crawfish bisque for me - best soup I’ve eaten on property - and chicken noodle soup for Eva. Good start.

We also shared a portion of pimento cheese fritters. These were absolutely and utterly delicious. Fried balls of spicy cheese with a tomato relish. We were fighting over them.

They brought out cornbread. This isn’t bread. It’s cake. It needs clotted cream and jam and a big pot of tea. Eva wasn’t impressed as you can see. It’s nice just out of place at the start of dinner for us.

Mains - eva asked for a kids pizza and chips but she didn’t eat it as she shared mine. The all you care to eat skillet. This had hot fried chicken, bbq brisket, bbq ribs, done kind of sausage, mashed potatoes, green beans and corn. I can’t tell you how good this was. Everything was great. Eva tried brisket and enjoyed it I loved the hot chicken and brisket too. You could keep refilling if you wanted to but we only had a few hours until pudding overload so we declined seconds and declined dessert. I’d happily go back and have this again.

To drink I had a Long Island iced tea. This too was excellent and quite potent.

We met up with my friend and her daughter in the bar at beach club and then checked into beaches and cream. I can see now why you can never get a table - it’s tiny. There can’t be any more than 10 tables plus the high tops at the bar.

We obviously got the kitchen sink. Huge fanfare to announce its arrival and visually its effective and photogenic.

The girls dug in. I had one bowl with cake and mint choc chip. The girls probably got through 2-3 bowls before it became a giant slushy melted mess. It melts really really quickly - if you are going to get this then ban talking and eat like hogs quickly before it melts. We spilt the cost so it wasn’t too bad on the ££ front but it’s once and done for us. Eva like taking the photos but she hates messy food so once she’d picked out the cookies and cream ice cream and the melting together started she bailed. It was a fun evening though with lots of laughs and chatter.

Next up park open to close at Magic Kingdom and 3 in park meals with some highs and horrors 😊😊

Edited at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add photo
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
The lobster 😍😍😍
Oh yes it was ❤️❤️😋😋

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Old 23 Aug 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Sounds like you've had a good few days.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Thursday open to close Magic Kingdom - Cinderella’s Royal Table and Be our Guest

So today was our annual “go hard or go home” day at MK. We get there before opening and stay until we are thrown out. All 3 meals consumed in the park.

So ... the day itself was superb. We rode a lot of rides. We saw fireworks from big thunder mountain. We played the pirate game in Adventureland. And we ate a lot of food some of it downright awful 😂😂😂.

So we started well with an 8am ADR at Be our Guest. We had pre ordered so it was straight in and seated. I had the bread and cheese board (you have to ask for butter) and Eva got the Feast a la Gaston. This all came with pastries and you help yourself to soda and coffees. I also had a mimosa as it’s rude to not accept free booze in Disney 😊

After breakfast we got in line of seven dwarves and rode that early doors. We then worked our way around Fantasyland and rode nearly everything by 10. I will say that the parents in Fantasyland were quite simply the pushiest and rudest I’ve ever come across. Eva was pushed out of the way by a grown man trying to get on the tea cups and in Enchanted Tales with Belle some vile specimen of a woman told me to move from where I was seated to make room for her and her off spring so they could have a better view. I may have impolitely told her where to go. Eva was chosen as a horse in Enchanted Tales so that was fun.

I do think some supposed grown ups lose all sense of decency in a busy Magic Kingdom. I also witnessed one mum pushing her maybe 6 year old and telling her “just push everyone out of the way and go to the front they don’t matter”. Anyways. Back to our day 😊

We rode a few more rides and wandered around until our lunch time ADR at CRT. This is always a highlight for Eva but I’m pretty sure this will be the last year of her princess days. I love seeing her being able to just be a little girl and get excited to meet them.

Eva didn’t fancy the adult menu so got kids menu but in bigger portions. She had cheese and grapes followed by chicken nuggets, corn and mash. She really enjoyed her lunch.

I ordered scallop starter. I got two scallops. I wanted to test the possibility of having a bigger portion so asked if I could have extra scallops. Epic fail! They said no ...

Main course chicken with crispy leeks, roast spuds and mustard cream sauce. This was ok actually. I preferred last years as the chicken was a bit dry this time but it was still tasty.

Dessert wasn’t great - I got the peanut butter cake with banana sorbet. The only bit I could eat was the peanut butter mousse off the top - the sorbet was grim and the cake under the mousse was hard and nasty.

Eva got vanilla ice cream.

In and out in an hour - and that was with me being super slow and asking for time between courses. If you were paying out of pocket you’d be looking at not much shy of $200 all in so being rushed and forced out in less than an hour isn’t really acceptable. We firmly insisted on taking our time.

Overall I would give a solid 7/10. The princesses were great for the kiddos and the food was better than expected. The starter was lovely but I wanted more and the service is good. I’m not sure if we would go back but that’s purely down to Eva getting older. She starts high school in a few weeks so next year it might not be “cool” to meet princesses.

The afternoon was a tour of mountains and our fastpasses. We also did the “ A Pirates Adventure - Treasure of the Seven Seas”. This is fantastic! Just do it! It’s an interactive treasure hunt in Adventureland. You collect maps and complete the hunt interacting with the exhibits around the land. There are a total of either 5 or 6 (can’t remember!) and you get a free Pirates Fast Pass once you e completed 2. We did them all and got our fastpass. You go to the hut at the far entrance of Adventureland as if you were walking towards Frontierland. Pic below:

Now for the not so good part of our day. We had a 5.45 Be our Guest ADR. We checked in on time on the bridge. They had closed the booking in point so everybody was crowded onto the bridge and there was no organisation but a lot of pushing and shoving. We eventually got checked in at 6 to be told we had to immediately go line up to meet beast before dinner which isn’t how it’s been in the past. The queue was huge and slow moving. It was awful. Eva did enjoy meeting beast though. He was as charming as ever. We then were told to go and wait in a packed out lobby for our table. We eventually got seated with a menu and a drink I had asked for immediately on seating at 6.50. We had arrived at the bridge at 5.30. Now I don’t think that is acceptable at all. We were both hungry and grumpy at this point. Eva didn’t want anything from the adult menu. I asked if she could have a kids menu to look at. The server was pretty rude. I hadn’t even finished my sentence e when she said to me “fine you can have the kids menu but I’m charging you the full $55 for it”. I hadn’t even finished speaking. I asked if there was something she could do with the adult chicken dish for Eva - maybe with some sauce from the steak rather than a kids meal. She said no you have to have exactly as on the menu. She just wasn’t helpful at all and was very sullen.

She ordered cheese and grapes again and a chicken breast with potatoes. I ordered the lobster bisque and lamb chops I’d loved last year.

We didn’t see our server again until she came with the bill and told us how much tip we had to leave for her service and delicious meal. More on that later.

Here’s the photos of the food:

Eva barely ate anything except the yellow cheese and some bread. The dark cheese was strongly smoked cheese that kids won’t eat. Her chicken was so tough she couldn’t cut it - I had to use a steak knife to chop some up. The potatoes were cold and the whole thing was dry even though I’d requested done kind of sauce on the side to go with it.

My soup was lovely but that bowl was tiny and it literally held 4 spoons. It was slightly bigger than the mushroom soup at storybook dining. Gone are the big bowls of piping hot bisque. Lukewarm and tiny.

My main was almost inedible. Those chops were so fatty I barely go a couple of mouthfuls. The lovely tamarind sauce is gone and replaced with a smear of pure butter tamarind - it’s not a sauce at all. It was awful. The small amount of veg wasn’t cooked well it was too hard almost raw.

I didn’t see the server at all to flag up our disappointment. I had to collar a passing staff member to get another drink.

Pudding turned up - trio of desserts including the grey stuff. This was really nice but we were so fed up by this point we just wanted to leave.

Server finally turned up with the bill as mentioned earlier. I explained how we were not happy at all with the whole experience. She just shrugged. No comments no apology no concern. Just a shrug and asking for us to make sure we leave at least 20% tip.

I have never in all my years of Disney not left a tip. I always leave 20% sometimes against my feelings if we haven’t had great service. But tonight the server was rude. We were also charged $55 for a kids meal that wasn’t edible and the expected tip for our meal was just over $30. I left cash for the extra drink I had and left a $1 tip and left. I don’t think we will ever go back there for tea which I never thought I’d say. The portions have shrunk to tiny and there was no care or attention to the customer. So it’s a firm no from me. I did feel really mean not leaving a proper tip but on this occasion I had to speak with my wallet.

We came out of the park and went to Casey’s and got some fries to share as we were still hungry.

We ended the day on a massive high by riding Big Thunder 5 times back to back before during and after the fireworks and a couple of rounds on Splash and a walk around the Emporium before the bus home and done much needed sleep.

We had a fab day but the food front at BOG was dire - didn’t spoil it though 😊😊

Up to date now. We had a huge lie in today and we are shortly off to take the first bus to whichever park it’s going to and we have an ADR for tea at California Grill 😋

Edited at 04:28 PM. Reason: Spelling