Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Oct 18, 05:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Boma breakfast buffet does look good. You did really well getting photos of all the food. I'm always a bit self conscious so haven't ever managed to get photos of the buffet. We really should try and get to AKL sometime to try out their restaurants.

We've enjoyed Yak and Yeti QS in the past, but didn't make it this year and it looks like we dodged a bullet. But hey you snuck in a Mickey pretzel so it's not all bad.

I totally agree that the satuli canteen food was really tasty. I don't even remember seeing the prawn option your mum had and that looked lovely. This was another place where I found the whole ordering process a bit stressful with the base, meat and sauce option. I was very conscious there were a lot of people behind us in the queue and so I made snap decisions without really thinking. I might give the mobile ordering a go as that would probably be less stressful as we could take our time and look through the options before ordering.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DollyDimples
Getting Excited

Just caught up with your first couple of days. Thank you for posting.

I am currently starting to plan our ADRs for our first family trip (and first onsite with DDP trip). Planning on getting DH and DS to read both this and last years reports to help them input into the decision making process.
DollyDimples is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Finally it's here! Can't believe I've missed the first few days. I've got my cuppa, settled the little one with cat in the hat so I'm gonna catch up.

The Mac & Cheese Smoked Haddock Fish Cake looks lovely and seems very different. That steak looks lovely and the garlic butter has my mouth watering! I'm not a big lover of curry's so Nik's curry doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid.

Just had to pop this in, scrolling through the food report and Noah seen the bowl of chips, he said mum I want a big bowl of chips like that just for me

So I guess Noah approves of the Holiday Inn's chips!

I don't think I could have eaten Nik's toast on travel day, my bread has to be toasted. Thomas loves his toast like Nik's came, I'm always winding him up saying he could just blow on the bread to heat it up as that's how he likes his toast. Reasonably priced for airport food.

Those chicken guy burgers look lovely, thanks for the bag tip! I'll make sure I drip sauce on mine ... any excuse for a new handbag, I'm sure Mr Grump will be thrilled Shaem about your tenders though, but I do think they look dry, do you think they were overcooked?

I like your idea of visiting each resort for a meal, wish I had thought of that, maybe next time

Breakfast at The Wave looks lovely, like you I've heard lots of good reviews of the breakfast there, in fact I did look for a reservation one morning but couldn't get one. Glad you all enjoyed it, not sure I like the sounds of those sweet potato pancakes though

Sorry that Mama Melrose was a little disappointing. I probably would have sent the flatbread back, I'm quite fussy with pizza's and flatbread and I like them crispy. Sounds like this visit was very hit and miss.

Landscape of favours sounds like such a disaster. I'm a little like Nik I'm a bit funny with sharing food as sometimes I just get carried away and then realise I've eaten more than my fair share! I think maybe tiredness also played a part in tonight's meal. How much of the fries did you manage to make it through?

Wow there is so much choice at Boma, I think I'd struggle there as it's just too much choice, I'd want to eat everything. It's relatively inexpensive for a buffet I think, will definitely add it to the list to try.

Such a shame you cancelled the lunch ADR's but you at least know for next time now. I know what you mean though, your the one who's planned everything then others want you cancel things after all the effort that's been put into planning. I would be exactly the same.

A bit disappointing about the Yak and Yeti quick service, we also plan on going here so hopefully we will have a better experience. That chicken actually looks quite nice though. Now that Mickey pretzel looks amazing.

Satul'i also looks so nice, the cheeseburger pods are on our list but I think pictures make them look so dry.

I've finally caught up, I promise to be better stalker from now on, looking forward to the rest of the report xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

It's a shame you had to cancel the lunch ADRs, it is hard planning for other people. Your photos of Boma breakfast look lovely, it's reminded me how much I enjoyed it when we went a few years ago.
Satul'i looks great too, I'm hoping to try it next year though the options sound difficult to make a decision on!
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I love the carved ham at Boma and would eat there for that - and the banana bread - alone. I was sad that we didn't get a chance to eat there this last trip, especially with us staying at Animal Kingdom Villas. There's always next time though - or maybe the time after, since our ADRs are already set for our next trip.

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't understand the draw of Yak & Yeti QS. We have eaten there a couple of times and been disappointed every time. You should have stuck with the good stuff and done TS there - or gone to Flame Tree BBQ.

Satu'li Canteen was one of our favourite QS last summer. We chose Flame Tree over it in August and I wasn't sorry we did, but you can't go wrong there, I don't think.

I do hope that cancelling your lunches doesn't come back to bite you but I fear it may - especially because, like you say, when it is so hot, it does offer the ability to have a well earned rest in the air conditioning.

Looking forward to more...
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Your photos of the Boma breakfast look amazing, love the sound of the chocolate chip pancakes so fingers crossed I pick a day when they’re on!

It’s a shame you felt you had to cancel your lunch ADRs as I think you may have been better off indoors in the AC with the heat and ordering less food whilst there.

I think it’s so hard when planning for a few people to get the balance right an please everyone.

Those cheeseburger pods sound gorgeous and I’m sorry to hear they were quite dry.. I may have to try to sneak them in when I’m in AK sometime
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Love the look of Satuli canteen - shrimp, beef and cheeseburger pods..what to pick?! We are staying at AKL next year and think I may have to do a couple of breakfasts there instead of just the last day! 😋
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It’s interesting what you say about your Mum. When we went with Mum & Dad I tried not to book TS at lunchtime as Mum isn’t a big lunch eater but it was Dad who got to the stage he just wanted a sandwich and a cup of tea!

Boma breakfast looks amazing I have to say! We haven’t eaten there for years but I’d love to try and fit it in next time as we like the food of Tuskers but prefer not to have characters.

Satu’li looked like somewhere we’d never try when I first saw the menu but now I really fancy it. Not sure if I’ll convince Marie though!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
It’s a shame when people don’t appreciate your planning either deliberately or just because they don’t think about it.
Glad you enjoyed Boma breakfast, I wasn’t overly impressed when we did it but I was very tired that day which makes me harder to please.
Shame you cancelled your Yak and Yeti reservation, you could have just ordered less.
I love Satilui canteen. Those rice bowls are awesome but the prawn one your mum had looks right up my street.
I think my mum just didn't understand how complex eating in WDW is, Disney muggles () think it's just like any other holiday where you can eat where and when you like.

I am sad we missed out on Yak & Yeti, I really wanted to try their burger.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Boma breakfast buffet does look good. You did really well getting photos of all the food. I'm always a bit self conscious so haven't ever managed to get photos of the buffet. We really should try and get to AKL sometime to try out their restaurants.

We've enjoyed Yak and Yeti QS in the past, but didn't make it this year and it looks like we dodged a bullet. But hey you snuck in a Mickey pretzel so it's not all bad.

I totally agree that the satuli canteen food was really tasty. I don't even remember seeing the prawn option your mum had and that looked lovely. This was another place where I found the whole ordering process a bit stressful with the base, meat and sauce option. I was very conscious there were a lot of people behind us in the queue and so I made snap decisions without really thinking. I might give the mobile ordering a go as that would probably be less stressful as we could take our time and look through the options before ordering.
I definitely recommend visiting AKL, but I know it's not the easiest place to get without a car (before we hired one, we had never been). It's very similar to Wilderness Lodge though, and I feel if you've been to Wilderness Lodge first, AKL doesn't have the same WOW factor.

Mobile Ordering really is brilliant, you can even do it just minutes in advance. We sat outside Satu'li Canteen whilst we browsed the menu, as like you say, the rice bowl options were quite confusing, ordered and then headed straight in. There's even pictures on the app which is really handy.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by DollyDimples View Post
Just caught up with your first couple of days. Thank you for posting.

I am currently starting to plan our ADRs for our first family trip (and first onsite with DDP trip). Planning on getting DH and DS to read both this and last years reports to help them input into the decision making process.
There's nothing more fun than planning ADRs, you must be very kind to allow DH and DS some input Do you have any must-dos you have decided on?

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Finally it's here! Can't believe I've missed the first few days. I've got my cuppa, settled the little one with cat in the hat so I'm gonna catch up.

The Mac & Cheese Smoked Haddock Fish Cake looks lovely and seems very different. That steak looks lovely and the garlic butter has my mouth watering! I'm not a big lover of curry's so Nik's curry doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid.

Just had to pop this in, scrolling through the food report and Noah seen the bowl of chips, he said mum I want a big bowl of chips like that just for me

So I guess Noah approves of the Holiday Inn's chips!

I don't think I could have eaten Nik's toast on travel day, my bread has to be toasted. Thomas loves his toast like Nik's came, I'm always winding him up saying he could just blow on the bread to heat it up as that's how he likes his toast. Reasonably priced for airport food.

Those chicken guy burgers look lovely, thanks for the bag tip! I'll make sure I drip sauce on mine ... any excuse for a new handbag, I'm sure Mr Grump will be thrilled Shaem about your tenders though, but I do think they look dry, do you think they were overcooked?

I like your idea of visiting each resort for a meal, wish I had thought of that, maybe next time

Breakfast at The Wave looks lovely, like you I've heard lots of good reviews of the breakfast there, in fact I did look for a reservation one morning but couldn't get one. Glad you all enjoyed it, not sure I like the sounds of those sweet potato pancakes though

Sorry that Mama Melrose was a little disappointing. I probably would have sent the flatbread back, I'm quite fussy with pizza's and flatbread and I like them crispy. Sounds like this visit was very hit and miss.

Landscape of favours sounds like such a disaster. I'm a little like Nik I'm a bit funny with sharing food as sometimes I just get carried away and then realise I've eaten more than my fair share! I think maybe tiredness also played a part in tonight's meal. How much of the fries did you manage to make it through?

Wow there is so much choice at Boma, I think I'd struggle there as it's just too much choice, I'd want to eat everything. It's relatively inexpensive for a buffet I think, will definitely add it to the list to try.

Such a shame you cancelled the lunch ADR's but you at least know for next time now. I know what you mean though, your the one who's planned everything then others want you cancel things after all the effort that's been put into planning. I would be exactly the same.

A bit disappointing about the Yak and Yeti quick service, we also plan on going here so hopefully we will have a better experience. That chicken actually looks quite nice though. Now that Mickey pretzel looks amazing.

Satul'i also looks so nice, the cheeseburger pods are on our list but I think pictures make them look so dry.

I've finally caught up, I promise to be better stalker from now on, looking forward to the rest of the report xx
at Noah and the chips, all the planning lovely meals for them to eat in Disney and he just wants chips.

I agree about toast, I can't cope with slightly warm bread.

I was tempted to say that the tenders at Chicken Guy were overcooked, but as that's the only thing they sell could they really get it wrong!?

I'm excited that you're planning for next time already!

If you have room for The Wave for breakfast do keep trying for an ADR, I think you'll enjoy a break from the chaos of character meals. I wasn't convinced by the sound of sweet potato pancakes either but they tasted like normal pancakes with a sweet flavour, similar to pumpkin.

You're right that tiredness played a part in the fiasco at Landscape of Flavours, we hardly ate any of the fries, the ones with the burger were cold and the ones with the nuggets no-one wanted to eat.

So true that Boma has so much choice that it makes it difficult to pick what to have, normally I'm not keen on sweet breakfasts but there options are so good I'll have more of that, then miss out on the hot food!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Yak and Yeti QS, I don't really like Chinese food so I'm not the best person to judge it. Isn't it mad that you've been dreaming about being these places for so long and it's almost time to actually go and live it!?

The cheeseburger pods weren't dry actually. The exterior is soft like bread, similar to the inside of a roll.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
It's a shame you had to cancel the lunch ADRs, it is hard planning for other people. Your photos of Boma breakfast look lovely, it's reminded me how much I enjoyed it when we went a few years ago.
Satul'i looks great too, I'm hoping to try it next year though the options sound difficult to make a decision on!
You're right it is hard planning for others, in hindsight I should have explained to my mum how much effort I had put into our plan and the reasons behind everything, but I just overreacted.

Definitely give Satu'li a try, it is amazing value for a QS credit and I don't think you can go wrong whatever you try on the menu.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I love the carved ham at Boma and would eat there for that - and the banana bread - alone. I was sad that we didn't get a chance to eat there this last trip, especially with us staying at Animal Kingdom Villas. There's always next time though - or maybe the time after, since our ADRs are already set for our next trip.

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't understand the draw of Yak & Yeti QS. We have eaten there a couple of times and been disappointed every time. You should have stuck with the good stuff and done TS there - or gone to Flame Tree BBQ.

Satu'li Canteen was one of our favourite QS last summer. We chose Flame Tree over it in August and I wasn't sorry we did, but you can't go wrong there, I don't think.

I do hope that cancelling your lunches doesn't come back to bite you but I fear it may - especially because, like you say, when it is so hot, it does offer the ability to have a well earned rest in the air conditioning.

Looking forward to more...
I'm always frustrated when we stay at a resort but don't get to eat at their restaurant, we stayed at CSR last year and didn't eat at Maya Grill and I'm still miffed about it

We absolutely should have done Yak & Yeti TS, we could have just skipped starters, and the mains wouldn't have been much different in size to the QS portions.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Your photos of the Boma breakfast look amazing, love the sound of the chocolate chip pancakes so fingers crossed I pick a day when they’re on!

It’s a shame you felt you had to cancel your lunch ADRs as I think you may have been better off indoors in the AC with the heat and ordering less food whilst there.

I think it’s so hard when planning for a few people to get the balance right an please everyone.

Those cheeseburger pods sound gorgeous and I’m sorry to hear they were quite dry.. I may have to try to sneak them in when I’m in AK sometime
I'm still annoyed at myself for not trying the chocolate chip pancakes.

I agree we should have kept our lunches, I don't often have regrets about our trips, but I do regret cancelling them.

You can actually get a Cheeseburger Pod kids meal with just one pod so if you want to just try them as a snack this is an option

Thank you for reading.

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Love the look of Satuli canteen - shrimp, beef and cheeseburger pods..what to pick?! We are staying at AKL next year and think I may have to do a couple of breakfasts there instead of just the last day! 😋
Oh I am so jealous of the potential of multiple Boma breakfasts! Are you doing dinner too?

Thank you for reading.

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
It’s interesting what you say about your Mum. When we went with Mum & Dad I tried not to book TS at lunchtime as Mum isn’t a big lunch eater but it was Dad who got to the stage he just wanted a sandwich and a cup of tea!

Boma breakfast looks amazing I have to say! We haven’t eaten there for years but I’d love to try and fit it in next time as we like the food of Tuskers but prefer not to have characters.

Satu’li looked like somewhere we’d never try when I first saw the menu but now I really fancy it. Not sure if I’ll convince Marie though!
Mum definitely would have been happy with a sandwich and a cuppa, but those aren't the easiest to find in Disney!

It is very similar to Tusker House, the only thing that Tusker House has that is better is the round sausage patties I don't think we'll bother with Tusker House next time as, like you, we'd prefer a more chilled meal minus characters.

Maybe Marie could agree to try Satu'li with the promise that if she doesn't like it you can go to Pizzafari afterwards?

Thank you for reading!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I think my mum just didn't understand how complex eating in WDW is, Disney muggles () think it's just like any other holiday where you can eat where and when you like.

I am sad we missed out on Yak & Yeti, I really wanted to try their burger.

Thank you for reading!

I definitely recommend visiting AKL, but I know it's not the easiest place to get without a car (before we hired one, we had never been). It's very similar to Wilderness Lodge though, and I feel if you've been to Wilderness Lodge first, AKL doesn't have the same WOW factor.

Mobile Ordering really is brilliant, you can even do it just minutes in advance. We sat outside Satu'li Canteen whilst we browsed the menu, as like you say, the rice bowl options were quite confusing, ordered and then headed straight in. There's even pictures on the app which is really handy.

Thank you for reading!

There's nothing more fun than planning ADRs, you must be very kind to allow DH and DS some input Do you have any must-dos you have decided on?

Thank you for reading!

at Noah and the chips, all the planning lovely meals for them to eat in Disney and he just wants chips.

I agree about toast, I can't cope with slightly warm bread.

I was tempted to say that the tenders at Chicken Guy were overcooked, but as that's the only thing they sell could they really get it wrong!?

I'm excited that you're planning for next time already!

If you have room for The Wave for breakfast do keep trying for an ADR, I think you'll enjoy a break from the chaos of character meals. I wasn't convinced by the sound of sweet potato pancakes either but they tasted like normal pancakes with a sweet flavour, similar to pumpkin.

You're right that tiredness played a part in the fiasco at Landscape of Flavours, we hardly ate any of the fries, the ones with the burger were cold and the ones with the nuggets no-one wanted to eat.

So true that Boma has so much choice that it makes it difficult to pick what to have, normally I'm not keen on sweet breakfasts but there options are so good I'll have more of that, then miss out on the hot food!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Yak and Yeti QS, I don't really like Chinese food so I'm not the best person to judge it. Isn't it mad that you've been dreaming about being these places for so long and it's almost time to actually go and live it!?

The cheeseburger pods weren't dry actually. The exterior is soft like bread, similar to the inside of a roll.

Thank you for reading!

You're right it is hard planning for others, in hindsight I should have explained to my mum how much effort I had put into our plan and the reasons behind everything, but I just overreacted.

Definitely give Satu'li a try, it is amazing value for a QS credit and I don't think you can go wrong whatever you try on the menu.

Thank you for reading!

I'm always frustrated when we stay at a resort but don't get to eat at their restaurant, we stayed at CSR last year and didn't eat at Maya Grill and I'm still miffed about it

We absolutely should have done Yak & Yeti TS, we could have just skipped starters, and the mains wouldn't have been much different in size to the QS portions.

Thank you for reading!

I'm still annoyed at myself for not trying the chocolate chip pancakes.

I agree we should have kept our lunches, I don't often have regrets about our trips, but I do regret cancelling them.

You can actually get a Cheeseburger Pod kids meal with just one pod so if you want to just try them as a snack this is an option

Thank you for reading.

Oh I am so jealous of the potential of multiple Boma breakfasts! Are you doing dinner too?

Thank you for reading.

Mum definitely would have been happy with a sandwich and a cuppa, but those aren't the easiest to find in Disney!

It is very similar to Tusker House, the only thing that Tusker House has that is better is the round sausage patties I don't think we'll bother with Tusker House next time as, like you, we'd prefer a more chilled meal minus characters.

Maybe Marie could agree to try Satu'li with the promise that if she doesn't like it you can go to Pizzafari afterwards?

Thank you for reading!
Defo doing dinner at least twice we love Boma! 😊👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List