Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 5 Aug 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Day 12 - Back once again like a Floriday Master - Discovery Cove

This was a day we had all been looking forward to, although maybe not the waking up bit! We were aiming to leave the villa by 6.20am, so had alarms set as early as 5.45am. It is also our 18th wedding anniversary today and we had booked this as a treat for us and the kids as it was one of our favourite day in 2016.

We were even more amazed that we managed it and were in the car by 6.22am! A result. There was quite a bit of traffic around for a Sunday at that time. Even so, it took us only 20 minutes or so to get to Discovery Cove up the I4. Parking was no problem as there were only a few cars in the car park at this point. Our aim had been to get there early so we could get an early dolphin swim time. The weather potentially was not going to be great later today so we wanted to get as early as possible.

Once we had checked in and got our ID cards we were given a dolphin time of 8am – the first slot of the day. This was great, although it meant that we needed to get our breakfast fairly quickly. Just before 7am we were walked into the park and went straight to get breakfast. A few of the other guests went straight to get a seat so there was only 1 group in front of us. We had a cabana booked as part of our treat so didn’t need to rush.

Breakfast was mainly made up Sausage, Egg, Biscuit, Breakfast Potatoes, French Toast Sticks, Oatmeal, fresh fruit and Juices for us all. Very tasty and set us all up well for the day.

We went over to Guest Services so that we could get our cabana. While Han and Josiah were shown to the cabana, Eliana and I were taken over to the swimsuit section to get a swim vest. Our host led us back to the guest services and then we went to the Dolphin area. We were in the far section, Sand Dollar Cabana.

After checking in and going through the safety and information video we were taken into the pool. Oh my life it is so cold – 21 degrees – as the sun had not really warmed it at all. We were in a group of 9 as there was a family group of 7, also from UK. They were from Essex.
Our two trainers, Jacob and Isabelle, were great. Isabelle was the main person working with the two dolphins we met. There was Thelma, who is a ‘matriach’ of the group and has 4 kids and 2 grandkids. We also met Soleil, who was 10 and had been at Seaworld Orlando until the age of 8. Soleil was Isabelle’s favourite and was very playful.

Eliana and I loved the experience, you really do acclimatise to the temperature of the water quickly and we got to stroke both dolphins. We both elected for the deep swim where you go out where the water is at a depth of 15 feet and then the dolphin pulls you back in. We also had our pictures taken kissing and hugging the dolphins.

Once we had finished this incredible experience, a first for me and one of those things I had always wanted to do, we went in and choose some pictures to keep. We did say that having paid to go into Discovery Cove (not cheap) and then get a dolphin swim (again, not cheap) paying for photos afterwards was a bit much at their lowest package price of $99 for 4 prints. I can’t imagine that people would come and not buy a photo though!

Our next stop was to pick up swimsuits for us all. The waterways open at 9am so we could go into everything at that point. Once we were suited up it was time to set off. We made sure that we were all suncreamed up (they provide dolphin friendly suncream here), checked out the Cabana, nice and sheltered, so hopefully no unexpected sunburn today! (This didn’t quite work out though! ) The lazy river was our first stop.

Our day was mainly made up of swimming in the lazy river interjected with a number of other things. This was, again, an absolutely brilliant day and we came away thinking that it would take something special to top it off. No need for big rides, roller coasters, high tech effects. Just the four of us in a little bit of paradise. No TV or games, just swimming!

Han had brought a pouch to put her phone in so that we could take some underwater pictures. We used this quite a bit today! We attempted to do a time lapse video in the lazy river, great fun, didn’t quite work. We also took loads of photos in the lazy river. It’s depth ranges from 3-4 feet to about 8ft at some points! So many well thought out additions on the bottom of the deep bits.

We stopped off to look at the otters and marmosets! The Marmosets are tiny, only about a pound or so in weight when fully grown. We got to see them being fed, which was brill.

Lunch was brilliant as well. I had the Lacuna Beach burger, Han had the Jerk Chicken, Josiah had the BBQ pulled pork burger and Eliana had a kids Hot Dog and Fries as well as most of a Pasta with meatballs. We had a variety of desserts between us but didn’t want to get too full as we needed to get in more swimming.

The cabana had plenty of drinks, as well as being able to get these from the various food and drink locations around Discovery Cove. We kept well topped up on drinks throughout the day. Our Cabana host, Amanda, regularly kept checking in on us, replacing our wet towels and topping up the drinks in our fridge. The pretzels and warm cookies from the food and drink locations were great and I had quite a few of these throughout the day as I hadn’t had any pretzels in Disney so far. They were a staple for me last time! She also brought over a few beers which I had over the day, Michelob Ultra and Budweiser.

We did observe a lot more adults spending the day drinking in the park as some of the alcohol is inclusive. One or two people seemed to have had too much before lunch, I suppose with free unlimited access and a chilled out environment that you can lose track. Even so, it was a lot more obvious that some people were making the most of the free beer and I really hope they weren’t driving home!

One of the best bits for us was the Grand Reef. I briefly went in last time, finding it too cold, and Han and the kids only dipped their toes. I went off the first time and had a swim round, once you get used to it, you quickly warm up. Josiah and Eliana had been in, but not really swum. They were very nervous about the Stingrays. I went over with Josiah later and I not only got him in, but to go round the edge of one of the reefs, then across one of the reefs. Finally, I got him swimming the length of a reef, he loved it and when we got out we watched the trainers feeding some of the rays. They mainly eat by vacuuming up their food.

We went back to get Han and Eliana and once they were suited and booted we all went in (note – with holiday nail extensions it is NOT EASY to get into a wetsuit according to Han). This was such an amazing experience. Josiah went straight off and swam. He came back for Eliana and they went off, first nervously, then far more confidently. They loved it. Han stayed in for ages and saw so many fish. She loved it too! I was given phone responsibility and did a 4 to 5 minute video around the reef before returning to get Eliana as she wanted to swim round to the shark section and was a bit nervous about this bit.

We swam together round to the sharks, out over the reefs, spotting so many colourful fish. Having rays swim underneath us. It was amazing to see a whole group of 5 or 6 rays pass underneath you! Once we got to the sharks Eliana spent a long time there, so many different sizes and shapes. It was such a fab experience!

Once we were done in here, I can imagine some people never leave this bit, we went back and did a couple of laps of the lazy river. However, there was a ‘Code Orange’ which means lightning within 6 miles, so we had to get out at the next stop. As it was past 4pm, we decided to go into the aviary as we hadn’t done this yet and the weather meant that the waterways were out of action.

This was amazing, although Josiah was not quite so keen. Now I am not the kind of person who usually likes birds landing on me. Are they going to decorate you or not! I had a couple of pots of food and as soon as we went in, one landed on Eliana, then three landed on me! It was great! After we had fed the birds in that section we went through to the next section, which closes earlier, and Eliana had a big green and blue bird land on her. I didn’t have the camera, but she was really made up!

Before we left Eliana and Han decided to find a 'gift' for each other. Han found a beautiful pink flower for Eliana. On the other hand Eliana, who had spent a lot of her time in the lazy river trying to find large stones, gave one to Han as her gift. Very reminiscent of the Top Gear team as they find odd gifts to give each other!

At this point, the weather code was upgraded and they had to close the Aviary too, so we headed back out to the cabana. As it was just before 5pm and the park closes at 5.30pm, we decided to pack up and head out. To be honest we were all so tired from an action packed day. Josiah had done so much he fell asleep in the car on the way home, Han drove back as I’d had a couple of beers, and I could easily have joined him.

We topped up with fuel ($15 at Walmart, which for some reason wouldn’t accept either of our cards, so we had to use cash) then went to Publix as we couldn’t face the Walmart shopping madness! We picked up a couple of snacks for the villa and headed home as were not too hungry.

Our evening was spent with sat relaxing and starting to write up the last few days. We were all early to bed though.

It was only as people were having baths and showers that we realised quite how sunny it had been. Han in particular had really caught the sun from some visits to the lazy rived where she was only wearing a life vest, rather than the swimsuit. Once Aftersun had been applied to us all, we drifted off to sleep.

We were due to visit Mrs Potato for tea today, but this afternoon in the park we had relooked at the menu and agreed that it all looked quite ‘heavy’ and so we decided to forego this. Not sure if we will fit it in, but who knows.

Before bed we all agreed, if you can do Discovery Cove, do it. It may not be cheap but unless something goes wrong it will be the best day you have here in Orlando. We have had a great time together as a family and loved every minute of it!

Tomorrow, Golf, Epcot, Yogurt Land, Olive Garden & Illuminations. (If we wake up)
Trip 4: 3 weeks Villa with Parks 2023
Man v Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Another lovely day, I agree discovery cove is just the most relaxing place and a real treat. I can’t wait until my two are old enough to go.

Sounds like you really made the most of a full day there.

Hope the sun burn isn’t too bad, ouch!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List