Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Nov 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Beijing and HK Nov 2019 - Day2

We woke up again just after 8, I didn’t get to sleep until midnight. I think my brain was whirring away too much!

Today we would be going to the summer palace. But first breakfast! We had popped into 7Eleven and got more bakery goodies for this morning. Chris got the ham and cheese pastries, I tried something that looked like it had chocolate in. We think it was chocolate, there wasn’t much taste to it. I had read that food selection was limited in summer palace, so we packed our pick n mix we brought over from Wilkos and the crisps from yesterday. Today turned out to be a warm day! And luckily when we are warm, busy and walking we don’t eat a lot.

We again took the subway to the summer palace, I had read to leave via exit D from Beigongmen station and head west, so we did and easily found summer palace in a few minutes. Subway each way was about 4yuan (40p) with 2 changes, but the last line took the longest so ended up being around an hours journey!

We decided to get the all inclusive ticket to see everything, it cost 50yuan each. Reading online they said we would be there for 2-3 hours... I’m not sure if they ran through the park but we were there until 16:30! I mean you need a good 10 mins once you’ve reached the top to take a breather from all the steps.

Firstly we went to Suzhou street, which goes in a loop around a little lake. There are lots of little shops dotted along the edge but we decided to instead have a photo op for an emperor and empress. She puts you in a little dress and hat and you both get a photo. It was expensive but we thought it was funny and something we could frame when we got home. When else are you going to be Chinese royalty!?

We decided to tackle the uphill next to reach the Tower of Buddhist incense. This was beautiful and could be seen from all around the palace.

Heading back down we took a right to the marble boat. It was pretty, but all of the other boats surrounding it were spoiling the picture so you had to get the right angle.

Turning back we made our way down the long corridor. This was BUSY! Full of tour guides, that we hadn’t come across before but there was another entrance nearby so I’m guessing you popped in here on your tour of Beijing. We looked and they only visited the summer palace for a little while, so that’s why we decided to do it ourselves at our own pace.

We then walked down to the 16 (or maybe 17) arch bridge but not all the way to the end as we realised it was now 3:30 and the gardens of virtue and harmony would be closing at 4. So heading back and quickly passing the “main office” to grab a photo with the dragon, we found the gardens at 10 to, and we were the last in before he shut the door. We quickly ran around as he was shouting something over the microphone, which we assumed was like 8mins left, 7 mins left as everyone was heading to the exit!

Then we continued to where we thought the exit was, along a lake. Luckily it was as it so easy to get lost in here. Even at 16:30 as we were walking out people were walking in. I guess you are allowed in at any time but the main attractions shut at 4? By now we didn’t mind as we had a full day and my feet were starting to hurt.

We took so many photos today. I think we have around 200 between us! I didn’t want to bombard you with too many.

Luckily on the subway home we were the second stop after the train had started its way back to the main centre, so we got a seat for our 40 mins back until our change to the next line!

I’m glad that we didn’t tour this one and that we went in the morning to get the while day of it.
We still aren’t too hungry, so off out for a walk and then to find some food. Post what I find later!

Edited at 09:29 AM.
NeeNeeWong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

So we’re back, we really weren’t hungry still. So we headed back to Wangfujing street to find something to eat. Neither of us didn’t want to wait to eat something small so we just headed to the Golden Arches. Nothing exciting except and Big Mac and something like a QP deluxe burger. Chris got cold Mille bubble tea ( I thought it was disgusting and he thought it was nice) and I got a mango slush. Once he tasted mine he agreed it was better.
Chris said his Big Mac sauce was nicer than at home.

We then walked back to the hotel to have a shower then bed, hopefully to get up and go to the temple of heaven for around 9ish.
Old 11 Nov 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Summer Palace looks so very pretty. I am like you in that I am not a fan of yours to places like this as it can be a tick exercise!

McDos can sometimes be just the thing you need!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List