Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 May 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

We won’t be going if the masks and social distancing is still in place in October. We feel it would spoil the magic and spontaneity of being in the parks so would rather move to next year. I don’t want to be constantly thinking about where to put my feet and if I’m too close to someone, I want to be thinking about our next ride or taking in the scenery and what’s my next photo.

I’m not convinced those measures doing much for preventing the spread of any virus and if I was worried about catching anything (I’m not) I probably wouldn’t go somewhere like Disney.

I do think they would have to have this in place for opening as their plans probably wouldn’t be approved. Can’t imagine how either are doable at HHN or MNSSHP ... and I wonder how visible the floor markings are at night.
Old 25 May 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
How is that an issue?

Serious question. I want you to wear a mask so you don't infect me with your cough or sneeze or shout.

If you touch your mask with infected hands that's your problem not mine.
I watched a few YouTube videos of people walking around Disney Springs as I wanted to watch how people behaved while wearing the mask. Family of 7 was in the blog.

2 toddlers - no masks obviously
3 girls rough ages (10,12,14)
Mum and Dad

It was interesting to see the 10 year old constantly readjust the mask as she was clearly uncomfortable wearing it. As did the 14 year old who often didn’t have it covering her nose as she was clearly struggling a bit.

12 year old , mum and dad seem to wear them constantly. This family was doing their best.

They sat on benches to drink water etc where the young girls say with masks removed taking a break.

Another observation was a clear reduction in social distancing. People didn’t think much of getting very close while wearing the masks.

I have seen similar issues from videos from Shanghai Disney and with people of all ages.

Here is the problem...

1, the girls exposure was in the end intensified by the fact they where touching objects and benches and clothes as they shopped and then they where constantly bringing the virus (potentially) up to their eyes, mouth and nose.

2, the masks do seem to give a false sense of protection as social distancing breaks down due to it (It’s clear from the video for me)

3, if we all take the attitude of “that’s your problem not mine” in regards to the risk of infection, then as a fit healthy 39 year old with no underlying health conditions and a very low risk from the virus I would easily return to normal life and not concern myself with others if I had that attitude. If you don’t care about the risk to others as described above then you shouldn’t complain about other people’s who don’t care about protecting you all off a sudden.

I think a more pragmatic approach is required. Face masks optional outdoors but social distancing required and require face masks for indoor sections of queue lines and experiences. That would make the whole thing more manageable and safer overall.

Edited at 12:30 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

How are face masks going to work at volcano bay ? Lol
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I was thinking the same about the water parks.So do you wear them until you reach the water / slide etc then what do you do with them while you are in the water on the ride etc.
I am sure that once things settle down masks will not be compulsory but social distancing will remain. Good hand hygiene in my view is and should be a priority and hygiene in general and people having respect for each other and keeping to the rules.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Old 25 May 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Ah so they are optional! cool
Old 26 May 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Interesting video from medical professionals here:

facebook/10000560347...2687813261322/

I think wearing a mask, even the correctly fitted FFP3, will mean that people become more lax at hand washing, distancing and touching their faces which is what is most important.

The "masks" that Disney and the likes are selling (2 pieces of cotton material sewed together) do not gather or hold onto virus particles, so if the virus is on the outside of the face covering you will just suck them through every time you breathe. Imagine throwing a bucketful of tick tacks at a football net and that's the effect that you get with that type of face covering. They will help to catch *some* of the droplets from an infected person when they cough or sneeze inside one, but only about 60%. If that person then touches their damp mask and then a handrail, it'll be all over it. Face coverings and surgical masks are making people feel safer, but are not helpful, and probably make the situation worse in the long run.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Totally agree!

I am disappointed its started to form part of the UK advice given the lack of evidence and the real danger it could be more dangerous.
Old 26 May 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
Interesting video from medical professionals here:

facebook/10000560347...2687813261322/

I think wearing a mask, even the correctly fitted FFP3, will mean that people become more lax at hand washing, distancing and touching their faces which is what is most important.

The "masks" that Disney and the likes are selling (2 pieces of cotton material sewed together) do not gather or hold onto virus particles, so if the virus is on the outside of the face covering you will just suck them through every time you breathe. Imagine throwing a bucketful of tick tacks at a football net and that's the effect that you get with that type of face covering. They will help to catch *some* of the droplets from an infected person when they cough or sneeze inside one, but only about 60%. If that person then touches their damp mask and then a handrail, it'll be all over it. Face coverings and surgical masks are making people feel safer, but are not helpful, and probably make the situation worse in the long run.
That's quite a lot to be fair. Provided you maintain your hand hygiene and distancing it could make a big difference.
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Mandatory at Europa Park but very few people wearing one.