Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 May 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

I had a younger coworker lament the early 00s recently! He thought everything was better then when for me I can’t think of anything but the fear and uncertainty of 9/11, the Iraq war, terror attacks... I think it’s human nature of look back at the childhood years or the early 20s and remember it through rose tinted glasses. In 20 years some people will be looking back fondly on 2019! That’s the wonderful thing about youth I suppose, no matter how cynical and negative people get, young people are experiencing our world with fresh eyes for the first time with nothing to compare it to and the memories of first loves and first jobs and first time away from home and first heartaches will always live on and be remembered fondly and by entension the sights and particularly the sounds of the era too. My father has such fond memories of his teen years in a council estate on the dole in the ‘70s. He doesn’t primarily remember the poverty, the alcoholism, the domestic violence. Instead he remembers the freedom of having no responsibilities and the feeling that there was loads of time ahead of him. He also remembers my grandmother telling him at the time that the world had gone to hell and people weren’t nearly as decent as they used to be - plus ça change! Lol
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
I thought this last week, it feels very much like when i was a child (born 1971) the queues to get into shops like when the bread strike was on! (Except no social distancing of course) Me and my bff the dibbs own choppy girl were made to sit in and finish our packed lunch at school, i can see the dinner lady stood over us now arms folded... eat that sandwich... your Mother queued to get that! I also remember being on the verge of tears and quietly replying but i never asked her too! My lunches were horrible too. Mother used to put them in an old tupperware tub, no foil or clingfilm, so they would still go curly and hard... crab or chicken paste, or salad creme or just cheap margarine...🤮 all you could taste was the plastic of the tub...I dont think she used to wash it very often either, just knock the crumbs out ready for the next day... can you imagine if dinnerladies (are they still about!? Or do the classroom assistants just do that sort of thing) did that? Be an outrage! I think they all always wore Nylon blue check overall type things like pauline fowler and dot cotton wore in the laundrette in eastenders...
Sorry, not strictly related to the thread, just re dinner lady (or more PC title, Midday Superviser) related. The dinner hall at our school is monitored solely by Teaching Assistant’s. Last year we actually tried to recruit Midday Supervisers to work 1.5hrs per day... the trouble is in this day & age no-one wants a job with such few hours and which completely cuts each day in half. Plus being a relatively low-paid job, the few applicants we had mentioned the requirement to work 16hrs per week in order to claim tax credits. I wish we could get some MS’s as it currently means us TA’s get 30 minutes lunch (if we’re lucky) prior to the children having theirs & causes headaches when staff are off trying to get non-dinner contracted TA’s to help out.
Back in my early school days, one of the dinner ladies knew my mum (they were friends exactly but knew each other through a mutual friend). She was really strict and kept telling me off for leaving my crusts/wasting food etc. Hide the crusts in a crisp packet was a good solution sometimes! Lol!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List