Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 May 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile Homeaway v airbnb

Sorry for questions that have no doubt been posted a million times. I’m struggling to search threads on my phone as my laptop has died during the covid lockdown 😂

I am looking at booking a (maybe 2) villas for next August.

Just wondering which of the above people would recommend. Airbnb seems to have more choice for the one villa location we definitely require. My main thoughts are re booking protection. I would obviously prefer smaller deposits to limit my risk on any booking/s.
Has one company come out better during recent issues or would it effectively boil down to being at the mercy of the owners anyway?
Wanting to get some plans in place for next year so as to have as much choice as possible but wrestling with myself as to whether it’s more sensible to hold off until things are clearer!
I hate not having firm plans to work towards!
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I would hold off for now until things settle down, both sites will charge you a large % of the booking cost as a service charge so you need to bear that in mind when looking at the cost.

I do know that both sites have a lot of very unhappy owners/ hosts at the moment due to the way they have handled the current situation so there may be less of a selection on both sites when this is all over.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by steve@mac155.f View Post
I would hold off for now until things settle down, both sites will charge you a large % of the booking cost as a service charge so you need to bear that in mind when looking at the cost.

I do know that both sites have a lot of very unhappy owners/ hosts at the moment due to the way they have handled the current situation so there may be less of a selection on both sites when this is all over.

Steve
Thanks Steve,
It goes against the grain a little for me not have bookings sorted with “only” 15 months out.

Can i ask why owners are unhappy? I know they charge high fees to all parties but is it because they have actually tried to look after the end user at the cost of the owners?
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our experience from cancelling properties for earlier this month-
Airbnb, immediate refund of deposit
HomeAway, took a little longer but when I contacted owner he admitted to not completing the refund process correctly. Appeared to be a genuine mistake as he informed me very early that we would be refunded.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
Can i ask why owners are unhappy? I know they charge high fees to all parties but is it because they have actually tried to look after the end user at the cost of the owners?
They charge high fees and have asked the owners to refund renters or provide credit for future bookings

help.homeaway/articles...he-Coronavirus

If you are a renter then they have been good especially AirBNB.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
Thanks Steve,
It goes against the grain a little for me not have bookings sorted with “only” 15 months out.

Home Away were trying to force owners to refund guests against their cancellation policies by threatening that were owners didn't their adverts would end up buried at the bottom of the listings which is blackmail especially when owners are paying high prices to advertise on the site.

Abnb refunded guests without taking into consideration the owners T&C's and without even informing the owners that they refunded guests and leaving many hosts in desperate situations.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Home Away were trying to force owners to refund guests against their cancellation policies by threatening that were owners didn't their adverts would end up buried at the bottom of the listings which is blackmail especially when owners are paying high prices to advertise on the site.

Abnb refunded guests without taking into consideration the owners T&C's and without even informing the owners that they refunded guests and leaving many hosts in desperate situations.

Steve
Steve, thank you.
I know this may not have been great for the owners but as a renter this makes me more inclined to book through them with the owners that survive.
Unfortunately the likes of these companies have got too big but they will continue to attract renters after this. I have actively avoided them in the past but will think twice now.
Obviously, there has been more than enough glowing posts about how you have looked after your guests so are probably the exception to the rule!
Old 19 May 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thank you, I am sure i am not the only owner looking after their guests as best they can.

One thing i can say is with no shadow of a doubt is that any company that tries to black mail it's subscribers in to doing what it wants is a company i would not want to work with or hand my money to, in fact i didn't i stopped advertising on HA & VRBO because they were telling me how I should run my villa, well after spending the best part of nearly a quarter million dollars on my home their was only one person that was telling me what to do and that was me lol.

I can also lay a good bet that once this is all over you will more than likely see a a rise in service charges from both HA & abnb plus an increase in costs to the owners / hosts to recoup some of their loss of income.

Steve
Old 19 May 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you, I am sure i am not the only owner looking after their guests as best they can.

One thing i can say is with no shadow of a doubt is that any company that tries to black mail it's subscribers in to doing what it wants is a company i would not want to work with or hand my money to, in fact i didn't i stopped advertising on HA & VRBO because they were telling me how I should run my villa, well after spending the best part of nearly a quarter million dollars on my home their was only one person that was telling me what to do and that was me lol.

I can also lay a good bet that once this is all over you will more than likely see a a rise in service charges from both HA & abnb plus an increase in costs to the owners / hosts to recoup some of their loss of income.

Steve
I don’t disagree in the slightest and I would feel exactly the same as an owner.
My fear is that they will have gained another trust from renters that they will grow even more powerful. Unless an owner has a loyal pool of renters like you they may struggle to rent their property consistently by any other means.

Thank you , I think your advice is right for me to sit tight on next year for now... as much as it physically pains me 😂